Istanbul Walking Tours

After reading about the traffic in Istanbul I am now thinking of talking our group of 8 into taking a walking tour of the Istanbul Old City. Just wondering if anyone has either done a walking tour or has plans to do so - and, if so, who you have booked your walking tour with.

After reading about the traffic in Istanbul I am now thinking of talking our group of 8 into taking a walking tour of the Istanbul Old City. Just wondering if anyone has either done a walking tour or has plans to do so - and, if so, who you have booked your walking tour with.

Istanbul is a very walkable city. You don't need a guide. Get yourself a good map and you will have no problems. From the pier you have a couple of options. You can take the tram to Sulktanahmet Square, where most of the tourist sites are located or you can walk across Galata Bridge to the old section of town. It is entirely possible to see everything on foot, but it is unlikely that you will be able to make inside visits and cover everything on a one-day excursion. Just across Galata Bridge from the pier the first thing you will find is the Old Mosque (dates from 1597) and the Spice Market. Just beyond the Spice Market you will come to the Basilica Cistern (dates from 6th century). This is worth an inside visit. Across the street you will see Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Just behind Hagia Sophia is Topkapi Palace. Next to the mosque is the Sultanahmet Square and the Hippodrome, where you can see the Egyptian Obelisk dating from 1500 BC. Not too far from Sultanahmet Square is located the Grand Bazaar. After you finished sightseeing you can take the tram from Sultanahmet Square back to the pier.

Click on the link below for information on viewing my video of Istanbul. This video was made on a self-guided tour of old town.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33605141&postcount=251

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Ron

As C2's post, Istanbul is very easy to DIY.

Transportation isn't needed other than ship to old city, the sights are close together & there are many pedestrian alleyways between them.

If you want the full experience & learn a lot more, yes a guide can be very worthwhile. And a guided walk (even using the tram from ship to Sultanahmet with your guide) isn't a cheapskate way of doing it - it's the sensible way to do it.:)

But, like C2, we're DIYers. So, sorry, no experience or recommendations.

JB :)

Several folks on our cruise are doing DIY in Istanbul using Rick Steve's audio books. He has several for Istanbul that go on iPhone and Android phones. They are not paced tours but Go see this, then Go see this, and while you are at this attraction if this is attractive to you go do this. You need to download the reader first then download the City Information. All I have downloaded were free.

Archived