Native Choice's New Office Location

Genesis803

Native Choice posted on thier facebook page a few days ago saying they had to move thier office 4 blocks from the pier entrance and are not allowed to pick up guests at the port any more. They say its a short walk and provide a map. They also say you can take a taxi but it would be a very short ride.

I assume this has something to do with the taxi organizations.

I am taking a mixed-age large group on one of thier excursions in April. I am worried that some may not like the walk. Has anyone been recently that can tell me how difficult the walk is? I know it will be hot. Are there sidewalks the entire length?

Thanks!

The longest walk is to the pier shopping area from the ship but there are shuttles there. Once you are out of the pier shipping area and walk through the taxi gate, it is a flat walk. Last time I was in CM it was street only between the gate and the Tequilla Museum, but they've been changing and building constantly so that could be different now. The street was fairly wide though and there was a grass shoulder. 4 blocks sounds like it's well beyond the Tequilla Museum and down the road you take to Mahahual. If it's a warm day, it'll be a warm walk. You might be able to talk a taxi driver into carrying your party or those who would welcome assistance from the port to NC's. Assume they would charge you the same $3pp as if you are going to the Mahahual beaches. Then at least the taxi driver hasn't given up a regular fare for a short hop.

Thank you for the info. I've been looking on Google/Map Quest, but I think the pictures are little dated. It looks like they were expanding the shopping area beyond the immediate port/pool area. I've also gone into street view and seen the sidewalkless road we'd need to walk down to get to the office. Just wondered if anyone had been there since the construction is complete.

I am worried about the heat, but worse, what if its raining! I guess I'll advise my group to bring a few dollars in case we need taxis. Maybe by April NC will have a different arrangement worked out with the port.

thanks again!

A lot of vendors require you to walk not only outside the gate at the port, but down the street to where the taxi's are at. However, just know that when you return from where you are going, they are allowed to come inside to drop you off. So, you won't have to walk back.

The time we walked there, it seemed like it wasn't too bad of a walk, but when you don't really know where you are going, it does seem a little long. It was EXTREMELY hot the day we went, so that added to it. But there's a walkway down the middle of the street. Yes, it is paved and there are some shaded covered areas along the way. So, if you need to rest, you can.

Here is a map of the port and you will see where you walk is in the middle headed toward the back where the taxi stand is:

bigmap_zps3563b8b2.jpg

This is pretty much what the area looks like:

Senor-Frogs.jpg

There was a Hard Rock Cafe there. I don't think it's in operation anymore. But this is the building you will find that the taxi's park in front of:

hard2.jpg

**These are not my pictures and picture I found on the web**

Thank you so much! The map and pictures really help!

I am most concerned about the two block beyond the taxi stand that we'll have to walk. Looking on Google Earth, there does not appear to be a sidewalk. Guess we'll make the best of it if nothing changes between now and then.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much! The map and pictures really help!

I am most concerned about the two block beyond the taxi stand that we'll have to walk. Looking on Google Earth, there does not appear to be a sidewalk. Guess we'll make the best of it if nothing changes between now and then.

Thanks again!

If you look at the "map" picture I posted, you will see the part in the middle of the street. It is a sidewalk and paved. No worries. You will not be walking in the street or in traffic. Also like I said, there are these little "huts" on the sidewalk (which shades the areas)...you can see this in the picture as well. You walk under them. :) I wish I could find the pictures I took while we were walking along to show you. I can't seem to figure out what happened to them.

Ok, I went on google earth to see if it would let me do a street view and it did.

Now this picture is obviously OLD and before they had everything done. They must have just had the port built and working on the outside...I'm not sure. But it's not what it looks like now. However, you can see the street on each side and the middle is the walkway. They have it nicely landscaped now and paved and with the huts I was talking about.

outsideport_zps6e608fc7.jpg

You see the orange building over at the right? Well right past that is the building you will go to for the taxis. It still looks like concrete and it's in the works on google earth, but it is finished now and it WAS the Hard Rock Cafe...which is now closed down. I don't believe it made it very well there and they closed it down a few years ago.

Here's a shot from google earth when they were still building it a few years back. It was being built (or opened) in Aug 2011 and it was shut down in May 2012 because they did not get enough tourist.

hrc_zps5d4be9c7.jpg

The picture above (red building in my other post) was after it was done. So that is what you'll want to look for.

Also when you see the curb painted YELLOW, that's when you know that you are at the taxi area. That's where they sit along the curb there in front of what use to be Hard Rock Cafe.

Hope that helps. :)

The new location is not far or an unpleasant walk. When you exit the chain link fence exit, just follow the sidewalk, which is paved, through the retail area toward the large "Pyramid" about 150 yards away. That is about half way. From there you take the trail walk in the treed area that divides the road. That is not paved but it is nicely done gravel. There are log benches and pergolas for shade along that trail as it goes all the way through that undeveloped business/residential area. You won't need the benches since it is really close from the start of the trail. You'll enjoy the trail portion of the walk, well groomed tropical plants, birds and such. Might wish it were further as that little trail is actually very nice. As I said though, the walk from the pyramid to their new location is about the same as the gate to the pyramid. 6-7 minutes max at a normal pace the entire walk. Half through shopping and half through the nature walk. It is a white building on the left and all by itself so you can't miss it. Yes, it is of course safe, except for possibly mosquitos.

Thank you both so much for the info!!! I wouldn't be so worried it were just my family, but I am leading a group and don't know everyone's physical ability, etc. I am feeling much better after reading your posts and see the pictures.

Thanks again!!!

Archived