Evening Tours in St. Petersburg

Hello! Can anyone recommend the best evening tour/activity to do while in St. Petersburg overnight? Also, which would be the best tour company to use for an evening tour? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!

Melanie

Hello! Can anyone recommend the best evening tour/activity to do while in St. Petersburg overnight? Also, which would be the best tour company to use for an evening tour? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!

Melanie

You should use the same private tour company you are using for your day tour..We used TJ Travel but opted to not do any evening activity..our ship had folk dancers who boarded our ship for an evening performance.

Is there any specific evening activity that you would suggest? It seems there are various options such as canal cruise and vodka tasting, Russian folk performance and Russian ballet. There is also the option of going to a Russian restaurant for dinner. Has anyone done any of these on which you'd care to comment?

Thank you!

Melanie

We did the canal cruise for our evening tour. If you're booked for a two-day tour with a local company, you may already have a canal cruise included in your schedule. The evening tour isn't much different from that included in the two-day tour, so you may want to do something different. Since we had our teenage sons with us, we figured they'd enjoy the cruise more than the ballet.

The ballet that was offered on the cruise line's evening tour was "Swan Lake." DH and I are fans of Tchaikovsky and would have enjoyed that show; I understand from someone who attended that it was very good.

We did the canal cruise for our evening tour. If you're booked for a two-day tour with a local company, you may already have a canal cruise included in your schedule. The evening tour isn't much different from that included in the two-day tour, so you may want to do something different. Since we had our teenage sons with us, we figured they'd enjoy the cruise more than the ballet.

The ballet that was offered on the cruise line's evening tour was "Swan Lake." DH and I are fans of Tchaikovsky and would have enjoyed that show; I understand from someone who attended that it was very good.

Thank you very much, Kathy!

You should use the same private tour company you are using for your day tour..We used TJ Travel but opted to not do any evening activity..our ship had folk dancers who boarded our ship for an evening performance.

What ship were you on? And when?

We went on river banks to see bridges open for tall ships. I've found it the most magnificent night picture! And very romantic...;)Our guide, Anna from Best Guides, was very nice to even suggest this type of activity to us!

We went to SPB during in June, during White Nights and had " natural " lighting. I hope street lights and special effect illuminating make it look not anything less even when its dark.

Best ,

Kerry

We went on river banks to see bridges open for tall ships. I've found it the most magnificent night picture! And very romantic...;)Our guide, Anna from Best Guides, was very nice to even suggest this type of activity to us!

We went to SPB during in June, during White Nights and had " natural " lighting. I hope street lights and special effect illuminating make it look not anything less even when its dark.

Best ,

Kerry

Hello, Kerry!

Thank you for the post! Did you do have a guide accompanying you when you did that?

Thanks!!

Melanie

We were with TJ Tours and did the evening tour entitled "The Russian Experience and Vodka Tasting" --- we were in a group of 10 and had a ball.

We were with TJ Tours and did the evening tour entitled "The Russian Experience and Vodka Tasting" --- we were in a group of 10 and had a ball.

Hi, Muti!

What did "The Russian Experience" entail?

Thanks!

Hi, Muti!

What did "The Russian Experience" entail?

Thanks!

We were in St. Petersburg during their birthday celebration in May. A huge number of streets were closed to traffic allowing us to walk through the city and take in all of the gala -- dancing, mimes, etc. We went into several stores and our guide explained a lot about the buildings and some of the various businesses. At the end of the tour and mingling in the crowds, we walked to a local restaurant where the vodka tasting began. A very nice local explained how the vodka was made, etc. There were three shots of vodka for each person in the group -- three different grades of vodka. As tradition holds, you have to swallow the entire shot in one swoop then follow that with a small pickle based "snack" -- they'll explain the significance of the pickle. Once the first shot was down the hatch, there was an explanation of the second grade and so on. After the third shot you are taken back to the ship. Fortunately the transportation was right outside the restaurant -- it was a little more difficult walking out than walking in.

We had a wonderful time and the people in our group were to die for. I hope you have as much fun as we did (if you should decide to do this tour!!)

We were in St. Petersburg during their birthday celebration in May. A huge number of streets were closed to traffic allowing us to walk through the city and take in all of the gala -- dancing, mimes, etc. We went into several stores and our guide explained a lot about the buildings and some of the various businesses. At the end of the tour and mingling in the crowds, we walked to a local restaurant where the vodka tasting began. A very nice local explained how the vodka was made, etc. There were three shots of vodka for each person in the group -- three different grades of vodka. As tradition holds, you have to swallow the entire shot in one swoop then follow that with a small pickle based "snack" -- they'll explain the significance of the pickle. Once the first shot was down the hatch, there was an explanation of the second grade and so on. After the third shot you are taken back to the ship. Fortunately the transportation was right outside the restaurant -- it was a little more difficult walking out than walking in.

We had a wonderful time and the people in our group were to die for. I hope you have as much fun as we did (if you should decide to do this tour!!)

Thanks so much! That does sound like fun!

Hi, Muti!

Was there any opportunity to eat anything at the restaurant/bar where you had the vodka? If not, did you have time to eat anything beforehand either strolling around on the tour or on the ship between your day tour and the evening one? Just wondering about the whole vodka tasting on empty stomach thing! LOL

Hi, Muti!

Was there any opportunity to eat anything at the restaurant/bar where you had the vodka? If not, did you have time to eat anything beforehand either strolling around on the tour or on the ship between your day tour and the evening one? Just wondering about the whole vodka tasting on empty stomach thing! LOL

When we got back to the ship from the day tour we quickly ran up to the buffet and had some pizza -- we only had 1/2 hour to make the next tour. The only food we had at the restaurant were the little canapes that were served with the vodka. If we should ever do this again, I'd make sure to put some sandwiches, etc. from the buffet in the cabin refrigerator and then snatch them before leaving for the evening tour. There was no time for a real dinner between the tours. We had amazing meals during the day tour but that just didn't carry over into the evening. There were several opportunties to catch something quick (ice cream, etc.) while walking but with the hundreds of thousands of people wandering through town, we just didn't do it -- and, we didn't want to lose the tour group!!

We ate again (more pizza) when we got back to the ship -- around 11:00 p.m. -- and still daylight.

I don't know if it is still offered, but I remember a year or so ago, several people saying that they were able to have dinner at Catherine's Palace, being served by people in costume of the day. That really sounds interesting. I do not know which tour group offered that, and again, I haven't seen it mentioned this year yet.

Cheers

Len

I don't know if it is still offered, but I remember a year or so ago, several people saying that they were able to have dinner at Catherine's Palace, being served by people in costume of the day. That really sounds interesting. I do not know which tour group offered that, and again, I haven't seen it mentioned this year yet.
Carnival has offered this tour this season (Carnival's not doing a Baltic itinerary next year), but it's expensive. I was very tempted, but with four of us it would have been about $1000. It really looked like a great excursion.

When we got back to the ship from the day tour we quickly ran up to the buffet and had some pizza -- we only had 1/2 hour to make the next tour. The only food we had at the restaurant were the little canapes that were served with the vodka. If we should ever do this again, I'd make sure to put some sandwiches, etc. from the buffet in the cabin refrigerator and then snatch them before leaving for the evening tour. There was no time for a real dinner between the tours. We had amazing meals during the day tour but that just didn't carry over into the evening. There were several opportunties to catch something quick (ice cream, etc.) while walking but with the hundreds of thousands of people wandering through town, we just didn't do it -- and, we didn't want to lose the tour group!!

We ate again (more pizza) when we got back to the ship -- around 11:00 p.m. -- and still daylight.

Thank you, Muti! Were you totally exhausted by the end or did you have a second wind? :)

We went to a ballet at the old Mariinsky theater. Bought the tickets directly on line from the Mariinsky website. Alla tours provided the transportation and necessary documents to leave the ship. We booked Alla' s 3 day tour and everything went smoothly. Can't say enough good things about our guide Julia.

During our recent 2 day port of call in St. Petersburg we used SPB tours. They did a really great job. We booked the evening Folklore Show through them. We really enjoyed the show. It was longer than the show the Ocean Princess had onboard (although I did hear it was a good show onboard.) The couple who booked the canal cruise/vodka tasting found it was cancelled due to lack of not reaching the minimum.

As far a logistics - we did not even return to the ship between the end of the first day of the SPB Delux tour and the evening folklore show. We were dropped off at the theater and left on our own. SPB had a driver waiting to take us the couple of blocks back to the ship with others who had been on other SPB tours during the day.

At intermission the Folklore show had "free" canapes and a selection of adult beverages. There were also opportunities to purchase a variety of items.

Thank you, Muti! Were you totally exhausted by the end or did you have a second wind? :)

No exhaustion -- but, we did sleep well. We were up and out at 8:00 the next morning for the second day of the tour. I think if we did an evening excursion that required sitting and listening to beautiful soft music, we would have fallen asleep!! But we were active and having loads of fun.

St. Petersburg was amazing. I truly believe that our guides (different in the morning and evening) made the city come alive for us. Such history and beauty. When we were on the hydrofoil, I felt like we were in a James Bond movie. Hope you have a terrific time.

Thanks, Muti! We're going for it! We are looking forward to the tour! It really sounds like fun! Thanks for the suggestion!

Thank you to everyone for your replies!

I hope you have as much fun as we did. Our group was made up of only 10 people and one of the couples was having their 16th wedding anniversary. Of course, the rest of us have been married 40+ years and had all kinds of advice for them!!! Of course, after three shots of vodka everyone was an expert on marriage. We got back to the ship around 11:00 p.m. and it was still daylight -- what a time we had.

We got off the Legend's Baltic cruise last week. Did St. Petersburg with Alla. Loved our guide. Opted for Comfort Tour with Ballet in evening. Had time in between to dash to the ship for some food on the Lido and a quick change. Enjoyed the ballet. Back on ship around 11 or so. Worth doing!