Which ship is better for Alaska, Crown Princess or Coral Princess?

allisons

Which ship is better for Alaska, Crown Princess or Coral Princess? Particularly, will size make any difference in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (ability to enter, proximity to glaciers, etc.)? We initially booked the Coral Princess, then we switched to the Crown Princess one week later. Now we are thinking of switching back. Thanks in advance!

Coral Princess only has a forward viewing area that is accessible from two of the stateroom decks. You can't move easily from side to side. With the Crown Princess, you have the forward viewing area, but then you can move quite easily to either side (though IIRC there is an area where you can't see off the edge of the boat on each side). In this case, for Alaska, the Crown Princess would win for me. Having the outside viewing areas is key in Alaska, especially in places like Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but not just there.

Coral Princess only has a forward viewing area that is accessible from two of the stateroom decks. You can't move easily from side to side. With the Crown Princess, you have the forward viewing area, but then you can move quite easily to either side (though IIRC there is an area where you can't see off the edge of the boat on each side). In this case, for Alaska, the Crown Princess would win for me. Having the outside viewing areas is key in Alaska, especially in places like Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but not just there.

Thank you so much! Very interesting! I also asked this question on the Princess board and every single person has responded emphatically that the Coral would be better. So I am very intrigued by your response!

Coral Princess has 2 forward viewing decks, as frugaltraveler said.

It ALSO has a complete promenade deck (goes all the way around the perimeter of the ship), with only the forward areas blocked from viewing.

It ALSO has 4 aft viewing balconies (there are no aft balcony cabins on Coral -- it's all public space).

It ALSO has an enlcosed viewing area in Horizon Court--complete forward view plus side views about 1/4 of the way back on the ship.

It ALSO has an enclosed pool area which allows some views out both sides, plus the outdoor pool area and the top deck which have views.

I was able to move around ALL of those areas during our viewing times at Glacier Bay and in the Inside Passage. We had great weather, so I alternated between the deck 10 and 11 "secret" forward balconies and the deck 7 Promenade. If it had been cold and rainy, I could still have seen a lot from Horizon Court on deck 14, and then darted outside quickly one of the forward balconies or the promenade to take photos.

I don't believe Crown has anything like this quantity and variety of public spaces, which is why all those folks on the Princess forum recommended Coral over Crown.

Coral Princess has 2 forward viewing decks, as frugaltraveler said.

It ALSO has a complete promenade deck (goes all the way around the perimeter of the ship), with only the forward areas blocked from viewing.

It ALSO has 4 aft viewing balconies (there are no aft balcony cabins on Coral -- it's all public space).

It ALSO has an enlcosed viewing area in Horizon Court--complete forward view plus side views about 1/4 of the way back on the ship.

It ALSO has an enclosed pool area which allows some views out both sides, plus the outdoor pool area and the top deck which have views.

I was able to move around ALL of those areas during our viewing times at Glacier Bay and in the Inside Passage. We had great weather, so I alternated between the deck 10 and 11 "secret" forward balconies and the deck 7 Promenade. If it had been cold and rainy, I could still have seen a lot from Horizon Court on deck 14, and then darted outside quickly one of the forward balconies or the promenade to take photos.

I don't believe Crown has anything like this quantity and variety of public spaces, which is why all those folks on the Princess forum recommended Coral over Crown.

Thank you for clarifying that! Very helpful information!

So, we now booked the Island Princess to do the same cruise but on Wednesday instead of Saturday. The Island Princess is exactly the same as the Coral Princess, so I assume it is as highly recommended? We booked E736, of course. Now we just have to decide which cruise to do, but we can sit on both reservations a while.

The only difference I know of is that Coral got the International Cafe on her recent drydock. We never used that venue, so it didn't matter to us.

There is an existing area called "Patisserie" which on Coral has become a bar with no patisserie or pastry of any kind.

If you check the port directory

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

you can see whether the Wednesday itinerary gives you fewer ships in port (which will limit crowds in the excursion areas).

The only difference I know of is that Coral got the International Cafe on her recent drydock. We never used that venue, so it didn't matter to us.

There is an existing area called "Patisserie" which on Coral has become a bar with no patisserie or pastry of any kind.

If you check the port directory

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

you can see whether the Wednesday itinerary gives you fewer ships in port (which will limit crowds in the excursion areas).

Oh no! Are you serious?! After all that noise about the Coral, I book the Island and it isn't equivalent?! The Coral had a recent dry dock refurbishment and the Island didn't?!

Archived