Pre and Post Cruise - Buenos Aires

JAKE3337

We have booked 4 days pre-cruise in BA for our Antartica trip next February. Coming from the cold weather in Canada, we'd like a hotel with an outdoor pool that we can use.

From reading all the posts, it looks like Recoleta would be the best place/safest area to stay.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for hotels in the area with outdoor pools for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Angela

We have booked 4 days pre-cruise in BA for our Antartica trip next February. Coming from the cold weather in Canada, we'd like a hotel with an outdoor pool that we can use.

From reading all the posts, it looks like Recoleta would be the best place/safest area to stay.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for hotels in the area with outdoor pools for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Angela

You are absolutely correct that Recoleta is the place to stay. It is a world apart from crowded downtown business district. Pools are not that commonplace in reasonably priced hotels...but here is one good option in Recoleta. http://www.sileohotel-buenosaires.com/ppc/?gclid=CLGluZuRvrkCFcvm7AodixcAGQ

Ok, thank you John. I'll look at maybe going 3 nights pre-cruise as well.

Angela

John, could you please say what a few of the best things that you did or saw in BA that stand out in your memory. Have been reading so much trying to decide what to do. Also, have concern on safety issues there. Know no place is safe and must be diligent on surroundings. We leave first of Jan. 2014 and getting very excited. Mary

I've been to BA many many times and in many parts of the world. As in any place, there are always a few bad apples. I've stayed at both Sheratons, the convention center oddly is on Avenue Libertador but the Sheraton Libertador is on Avenue Cordoba. The pools at the convention center, one in and one out are good, but BA can be cold until November or December. I don't think the Cordoba avenue has a pool, but it might on the roof.

The Convention center is isolated at night and across from the seedy bus terminal so I would; only take a hotel taxi to leave and return at night. Wherever you go you ask that they get you a radio taxi for your return. BA is very civilized and they always take care to make sure you get home safely. Always ask for a taxi or remis (car and driver) of "confianza" meaning trusted or of confidence. Actually they always say this, I can't imagine asking for one that is not of confianza!

The Libertador Sheraton is in a more pedestrian friendly area, specifically Avenue Florida. Both however are relatively close to each other. It's just that you can venture out on foot at night from the Sheraton on Cordoba.

Avenue Florida is very useful for money exchange. Due to currency control the dollar and Euro are worth 50% or more on the parallel market than you will get on official exchange by using credit/debit cards. The dollar blue market as it is known (google it or check the newspaper: Clarin) was 8.9 pesos to the dollar while the official rate you get is around 5.5 pesos. This has made BA very affordable again.

Outside of Puerto Madero which close by in taxi from each hotel, your best bets at night are Palermo Soho near Avenue Costa Rica and Armenia extending to the plaza Serrano or Recloleta near Ave Junin and Vincente Lopez extending to Avda Santa Fe.

Of course, don't get out of any taxi where there is no activity, it's better to go back to the hotel and start over. Take the HOHO bus during the day to familiarize yourself with the city.

Argentines tend to overstate the danger, but if you feel unsafe stick to PM. The restaurants there are the best and will keep you entertained at night.

Thanks for all your great advice!!

I just looked up the Dollar Blue Market - Wow! very interesting and useful information. see, e.g., this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/argentina-black-market-dollar-exchange-2013-6

You are absolutely correct that Recoleta is the place to stay. It is a world apart from crowded downtown business district. Pools are not that commonplace in reasonably priced hotels...but here is one good option in Recoleta. http://www.sileohotel-buenosaires.com/ppc/?gclid=CLGluZuRvrkCFcvm7AodixcAGQ

It actually looks pretty good for the price and its in the right area and has a pool and outdoor sitting area with loungers. Have you stayed there before or do you know anyone that has? I'm assuming its in a safe area?

Thanks

Angela

John, could you please say what a few of the best things that you did or saw in BA that stand out in your memory. Have been reading so much trying to decide what to do. Also, have concern on safety issues there. Know no place is safe and must be diligent on surroundings. We leave first of Jan. 2014 and getting very excited. Mary

Well, the best things for us may not be the best for others, depending on respective interests. However, for a first-time visitor, I think a half-day orientation tour on the HoHo bus would be a good start, followed by a few hours on foot in the Plaza de Mayo and westward along Avenida de Mayo (see my post #20, above).

At the Plaza de Mayo, within a short distance, are the Casa Rosada (old presidential palace -- tours available); an impressive monument to Argentine independence; memorials to those who "disappeared" during the dictatorship and to veterans of the Malvinas (Falklands) war; the Cathedral where Pope Francis was formerly based; and various other architecturally-interesting buildings. You will need a decent guidebook (or guide) to appreciate what you are seeing.

About 1.5 km to the northwest of the Plaza de Mayo, on the west side of Ave 9 de Julio, is the recently renovated Teatro Colon (opera house) and nearby buildings and parks of interest. Unfortunately, we somehow missed getting inside the Teatro Colon, but it is said to be even more impressive inside than outside. Ave 9 de Julio itself is worth seeing given its monumental scale, the impressive Obelisk, etc. Be alert for pickpockets there (and everywhere) -- the "pigeon dung" ploy was attempted on me along Ave 9 de Julio south of the Obelisk during our 2010 visit. I did not lose anything.

The Calle Florida pedestrian mall, which extends northward from a point near the Cathedral, is arguably a tourist trap but nonetheless interesting to walk along, even for someone not much interested in shopping.

Others have already recommended points of interest in districts somewhat outside the downtown area, e.g., in La Boca and Recoleta.

If anyone reading this is interested in birds, a visit to the Ecological Reserve east of Puerto Madero is very worthwhile. However, bring drinking water and strong insect repellent if you go there -- there were many mosquitoes when we were there!

John

Our cruise ends in Buenos Aires and we will fly to NYC at 9:30 p.m. in February. The previous day will be spent touring Buenos Aires on ship arranged tours. My question is after we disembark our ship at approximately 10 a.m. with our luggage, how do we fill in the time safely until our departure. Can we go to airport, check luggage and then take bus back to town? Any suggestions appreciated

About 1.5 km to the northwest of the Plaza de Mayo, on the west side of Ave 9 de Julio, is the recently renovated Teatro Colon (opera house) and nearby buildings and parks of interest. Unfortunately, we somehow missed getting inside the Teatro Colon, but it is said to be even more impressive inside than outside.

The inside of the Teatro Colón is stunning and absolutely worth a visit. They give English language tours periodically during the day (more info on their web site at the bottom link below). We spent three days in BA (including some of that time with a fabulous guide) in January before a trip to Antarctica. I have a summary with photos (including from our visit to the Teatro Colón) of what we did in BA, at these two links from my blog:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-a-very-good-place-to-start/

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/lindblad-day-one-sunday-in-ba/

Teatro Colón web site, re tours:

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/en/guided-tours

The inside of the Teatro Colón is stunning and absolutely worth a visit. They give English language tours periodically during the day (more info on their web site at the bottom link below). We spent three days in BA (including some of that time with a fabulous guide) in January before a trip to Antarctica. I have a summary with photos (including from our visit to the Teatro Colón) of what we did in BA, at these two links from my blog:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-a-very-good-place-to-start/

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/lindblad-day-one-sunday-in-ba/

Teatro Colón web site, re tours:

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/en/guided-tours

Turtles,

We are thinking of hiring a guide for at least part of our time in B.A. Would you be willing to share the name of the guide you used? Thanks in advance.

Archived