Belize Zoo

thescot123

Will be on the NCL Jewel in Oct and wondering the best way to visit the Belize Zoo. The ship offers a combo tour that includes river boat and then the zoo. However, I am not too sure about the river part and would rather do the zoo by itself.

Does anyone know of any reputable tour operator that goes just to this zoo?

Have used coral breeze tours in the past but had issues with them in April when they canceled my tour.

I haven't used either of these companies but I know one of them will take you to the zoo. ***************** and cave-tubing.com. I'm think about using one or the other for our trip. I've been to the Belize Zoo and it's a cute little zoo. Definitely worth the trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Will be on the NCL Jewel in Oct and wondering the best way to visit the Belize Zoo. The ship offers a combo tour that includes river boat and then the zoo. However, I am not too sure about the river part and would rather do the zoo by itself.

Does anyone know of any reputable tour operator that goes just to this zoo?

Have used coral breeze tours in the past but had issues with them in April when they canceled my tour.

We will be in Belize City in November 2013 and was wondering if we could do a zoo tour not with the ship as their tour is 6.25hrs and includes lunch. (Princess $79. each.) Seems we could do it cheaper and we only want to see the zoo,but hesitant to book a bad tour company since transportation is an hour each way to the zoo. We have never been to Belize so don't have any previous knowledge of who to go with.

Are there taxis at the tender dock that will do this? Are all tour companies that do this pre-paid? I would not feel comfortable pre-paying.

I've heard really bad reviews about the zoo. I LOVE zoos and LOVE animals. I volunteered at the NC Zoo for 2 years and only missed 5 days out of 2 years! I practically lived there. So I was excited and wanted to see the zoo until I read some of the reviews. Can you give me some experiences at the zoo?

Where have you read these bad reviews? There have been nothing but wonderful reviews on CC? It is an unbelievable place, not like any zoo you will find anywhere in the world. If you have done volunteer work at the NC Zoo you will really appreciate what this zoo has going for itself. I recommend it to everyone and every time my grandkids come to Belize their #1 request is, when are we going to the zoo?

I haven't read any bad reviews on CC but when I've read the reviews for some excursions to the Belize Zoo on the Carnival website and also on other excursion websites there have been a LOT of reviews that say it is too small, it is nasty, the animals aren't taken care of very well, etc. I LOVE zoos and really want to see the animals but if I got there and the animals weren't cared for well it would break my heart. If ya'll say it is good, though, I'll probably go!

OMG I am so glad that I have not read any of these such reviews. Belize zoo is small. They only have Belizean animals so you won't see giraffes or lions. The animals are in their own natural habitat, how much better can it get than that. Also you are right in with the animals. There are no 40' fences keeping you away from the animals. There are almost invisible electric fences to protect the animals. There are signs, do not feet or pet the animals, that is because you are close enough to be able to do that.

TBZ (The Belize Zoo) is a natural treasure. Google The Belize Zoo and read their story and then you will see why I would take offense at someone making much ridiculous comments about the animals being mistreated. The zoo isn't for everyone for sure. But if you want to find out about Belize and their animals and what the conservation efforts are here to keep the animals alive, then you will enjoy the zoo. In fact, I may have to go see Lucky Boy next week just thinking about it.

Read the stories about the jaguar cubs - http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/news/2013/cubsonexhibit.php

And Pat the Great Cat - http://patthegreatcat.com/

http://www.belizezoo.org/newsletters/the-lucky-boy-transformation.html

Some cruise people shouldn't go on cruises, let alone excursions that are not Disneyland. I think you will enjoy the zoo.

Will get off my soapbox now. Sorry but wrong is wrong.

Janice

OMG I am so glad that I have not read any of these such reviews. Belize zoo is small. They only have Belizean animals so you won't see giraffes or lions. The animals are in their own natural habitat, how much better can it get than that. Also you are right in with the animals. There are no 40' fences keeping you away from the animals. There are almost invisible electric fences to protect the animals. There are signs, do not feet or pet the animals, that is because you are close enough to be able to do that.

Some cruise people shouldn't go on cruises, let alone excursions that are not Disneyland. I think you will enjoy the zoo.

Will get off my soapbox now. Sorry but wrong is wrong.

Janice

Wow. Thank you so much. I will DEFINITELY go to the zoo now! I had originally seen that there was a zoo and I was SO excited....until I read the bad reviews so I gave up on it. Now I'm excited again!!!! YAY!

Archived