Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Hi Hadley,

LOL -- I didn't know the backpack thing is typically German --- but I guess you're right! I would never consider a vacation without at least one of us carrying one most of the time:D. How funny!

August 31st is probably too late for us, since the first week of September is usually one of the busiest weeks of the whole year (no clue why that is). We usually try to close the practise either the last or secondlast week of a month. Isn't it scary that a lot of people really have to wait until the beginning of the next month to get their pet to the vet? But we witness this every month anew. Scary!

Stef

When you got off the ship in Barcelona, was it easy to find a taxi? Also, what did it cost to get to the airport?

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Sorry for hijacking Carol's question --- Carol feel free to answer anyway!

When we left the ship at 7:00 there were a gazillion taxis and no wait whatsoever.

We took a taxi from our hotel to the airport one day after the cruise for €32. I also heard of people who paid only 20...but it was a very big car with lots of room for our luggage...maybe that's why it was slightly more expensive.

Stef

Hi Melissa,

When we left the ship at 7:00 there were a gazillion taxis and no wait whatsoever.

We took a taxi from our hotel to the airport one day after the cruise for €32. I also heard of people who paid only 20...but it was a very big car with lots of room for our luggage...maybe that's why it was slightly more expensive.

Stef

Hi Stef - thanks for the info (I'm sure Carol won't mind the hijack :D).

Sounds like we can probably just easily grab a taxi when we get off the ship for a similar price as what we would pay if we pre-booked one. I'll check with my fellow roll-callers (who I think "lurk" here anyway :p) and see if they are comfy with this plan or if they want me to pre-book.

Thanks!

Melissa

Hi "Wriggler" - quick question....

When you got off the ship in Barcelona, was it easy to find a taxi? Also, what did it cost to get to the airport?

We are looking to share a ride to the airport with 2 of our other roll-callers, so there would be 4 adults (and several pieces of luggage). I'm trying to see if it's best to pre-book a private shuttle or if we can just as easily grab a taxi when we get off the ship.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Stef

No problem with the 'hi-jack' it *IS* Stef's thread after all :D

We got off much later than Stef, Tanja and Tarik and there was still plenty of taxis waiting - easily 15 or so and we got into the next available which happened to be a 6 or 8 seater and it came to 30Euros if I remember correctly. I'm not sure you'd gain anything by booking a taxi - you'd have to stick to that particular time and discern it from the others that were just waiting there to pick people up casually :)

Carol

Edited by Wriggler

I said it on the roll call, but I'll chime in here too--in case others are reading. We have always seen LOTS of taxis waiting outside the ship--if you get off at a peak time tehre may be a line that looks long, but even then it moves very quickly. I think Barcelona handles having transit available for 1000s of passengers better than anywhere else we've ever been.

Hi Hadley,

LOL -- I didn't know the backpack thing is typically German --- but I guess you're right! I would never consider a vacation without at least one of us carrying one most of the time:D. How funny!

August 31st is probably too late for us, since the first week of September is usually one of the busiest weeks of the whole year (no clue why that is). We usually try to close the practise either the last or secondlast week of a month. Isn't it scary that a lot of people really have to wait until the beginning of the next month to get their pet to the vet? But we witness this every month anew. Scary!

Stef

LOL YES the backpacks are a dead give away ;) One big backpack is probably a German family and if everyone in the group has their own backpack, we figure the odds are at least 99% they are German. It's like white sneakers on Americans :D

It's not a bad thing--those backpacks keep groups very well prepared for all kinds of weather, stocked with drinks, etc.

and it sad that so many people have to wait to get care for their pets. It reminds me of the daycare I worked at in the US while I was in college. It was a United Way agency and our families were low income and paid on a sliding scale. We went through over twice as much food in the last week of the month than in the first--the kids were hungrier and hungrier as food stamps wore out.

Things like that really make me appreciate being in a position to not only feed and get medical care for my family and my pets, but get to take cruises on top of that.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Hi Everybody,

Whoohooo!!!!!The pictures are back!!!!!!!

Stef

Endlich!!! :D

I loved the Cinque Terre posts, so nice. I think that Liberty of the Seas might altern Livorno and La Spezia every other week. In that case we might book that cruise again

On the other hand I wonder how you had energy to accomplish a combined Pompei + Vesuvio + lots of walking to and from the port. We are two guys in our thirties, rather fit and used to excursions / walking, and being from Mallorca used to the Mediterranean heat as well, but after walking arround Pompei for 4 hours under the sun we just came back to Naples and spent the afternoon on the ship. Of course that was the day after Cannes + Livorno + Civitavechhia and we were already tired, but still!

Edited by Elmartellama

Barcelona (part two of nine)

Montserrat (part two of four)

In the Aeri base station there was an unexpected surprise:

9729170407_6852969d99_c.jpg

Whoohoo – a fellow countryman built this …. But look at the date! Man, this is ancient! My confidence didn’t really build up through this.

They also had a rather peculiar vending machine in the station:

9729160709_f11c1acb1a_c.jpg

I don’t know about you, but this was new to me!

We had to wait for about 15 minutes until the ropes started moving ...or was it the carts? I'm not sure. We were led towards the embarkation spot.

9732374784_3f56127f9d_c.jpg

This is the very first one to head up to the monastery this morning. We’d take the next one up…gulp…. I am a little chicken if I have a lot of NOTHING underneath me …same reason why I’m scared of flying. But Tanja and Tarik were completely at ease…. So I guess I’m the only chicken in the family.

…and we’re off…lots of air between us and the ground.

9729133055_d10f0f0228_c.jpg

But these views make up for it. It was amazing. I’m glad we took this “scenic” route.

9729118665_6a98b7b88c_c.jpg

It was Tarik’s first time to be this high in the mountains…if you don’t count flying to Spain of course. He LOVED it! I think we really need to do an alpine vacation one of these days.

9732658234_df5e576fc0_c.jpg

Isn’t this the most beautiful path? It starts (or ends) at the Monastery. I’m not sure though, if it leads all the way down the mountain or just to the holy grotto. Wherever it goes to-- I’m coming back to hike it for sure one day!

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. On the trainride to Montserrat, Tanja once said “ I don’t feel good”. She closed her eyes, napped a little and when she woke back up I thought everything was fine again. But later on today, we’d have some issues with this.

More to come!

Hi Stef,

We hope to be able to visit Europe someday, but through your review, I kind of feel like a have a little bit.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Todd

Hi Todd,

Welcome to the review! Thank you! I'm happy if I was able to make you feel as if you were there:).

Still -- to actually be there is just sooo much more intense. You'll love it once you'll get around to it! But for now -- have fun on the Serenade this January!

Stef

Endlich!!! :D

Hi Elmartellama,

Welcome to the review! Thank You! Sorry again for the picture disaster.

Cool -- Mallorca. That is definitely on our bucket list. When we looked at all the different cruises, I did a little prep for a Mallorca day as well ... and figured out one day would never be enough. Now we're planning to check it out for a week sometime in the future to see the most exciting sights. What a beautiful island. Too sad, that all of those tourists don't even know what gems are hidden there. Or maybe that's good, cause they'll all stay in their beach colonies or just look at the cathedral and we'll have the rest of the island to ourselves to explore:D. How cool that you get to live there!

Stef

Hi Elmartellama,

Welcome to the review! Thank You! Sorry again for the picture disaster.

Cool -- Mallorca. That is definitely on our bucket list. When we looked at all the different cruises, I did a little prep for a Mallorca day as well ... and figured out one day would never be enough. Now we're planning to check it out for a week sometime in the future to see the most exciting sights. What a beautiful island. Too sad, that all of those tourists don't even know what gems are hidden there. Or maybe that's good, cause they'll all stay in their beach colonies or just look at the cathedral and we'll have the rest of the island to ourselves to explore:D. How cool that you get to live there!

Stef

You can always take a german cruise from Palma with "Aida" ^_^ Their ships look nice, but they are very expensive though, I've never known why. I speak German but since my partner doesn't we've never been really interested.

Regarding you're daytrip to Monserrat, for those who are afraid of heights you have the funicular alternative, which is more modern and a little less adventurous:

http://www.cremallerademontserrat.com/website_cremallera/eng/index.asp

Barcelona (part three of nine)

Montserrat (part three of four)

The views were absolutely breathtaking….can you see the tiny cross up on that rock?

9732641928_a7170de28d_c.jpg

You can see how speechless I am. I can hardly keep my mouth closed. Walked around looking like a carp al morning!

9732640960_03b52b3523_c.jpg

9729403855_de515779f6_c.jpg

…or grinning like crazy.

That’s where the funiculare arrives.

9729264937_a1c83f2a35_c.jpg

And -- tadahhh -- the monastery!

9729247151_c115e26e76_c.jpg

It was soooo nice to be here early. The first guided tours were forming already outside the complex, but we got to surpass them and wander around this beautiful place almost all alone!

9729233679_7bd98021e1_c.jpg

Together with the mist of the morning still lingering around the mountaintops, this was Magic! We almost felt like floating on the clouds.

More to come!

Hi Stef,

Not to back-track, but I have a quick question about the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doge's Palace.

Did you book the tour that is offered directly by the museum itself, or did you use an outside tour agency? It just seems that the prices vary wildly, but I cant find a major difference to justify the price difference. For example, the museum seems to sell the secret tour with guide (and access to the rest of the museum without a guide) for 20 Euros. I have seen basically the same thing only with an added guide for the rest of the museum for more than 80 Euros :eek: (not thinking the added guide for 45-60 min is worth quite that much extra).

Your tour sounded perfect, so I am wondering how you booked it... thrugh the museum or through an outside tour company (and if so, which one)?

Thanks!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I bought our tickets here:

http://www.vivaticket.it/index.php?nvpg[evento]&id_evento=1158154&idt=566

It was about 20 for an adult and about 15 for a kid...that includes entrance to the palazzo and the secret itineraries tour in English. You don't have a guide for the "open" parts of the palazzo, but after the secret tour you'll be pooped anyway. But it would be downright blasphemic not to at least look at the rest! It will blow you away!

Stef

Barcelona (part four of ten)

Montserrat (part four of five)

No, you didn’t read the wrong numbers – there are just some more pictures I found that I’d like to share with you if you don’t mind.

One thing – padon me –creature we saw on the beautiful place in front of the church entrance made my day.

9732599248_d4234aeec7_c.jpg

Can you see it? Right in the middle of the picture? Yes! It’s a humming bird! In the middle of Europe! I didn’t even know we have any here! I absolutely LOVE humming birds. Saw them all the time in California…and missed them tremendously ever since. Whoohoo! Tarik had never seen one in his life and he thought it was weird. It took us quite a while to convince him that it is actually a bird and not a huge stinging insect.

Now we entered the church, just to see we didn’t reach the actual insides yet. We walked into a nice inner yard with beauty all around us. One thing I particularly liked was this welcoming poem:

9732575012_a92b279855_c.jpg

Yes – it’s in German. I’m mean that way. It was also written in all sorts of other languages as well. The content goes something like this:

Be welcome,

you who came up here

to visit this holy sight

of Montserrat

and the Holy Marie.

She’s offering you

her son Jesus

as a light and guide

for your life.

This house, which welcomes you

wants to be a house for everybody.

Help us with your behaviour

to accomplish this.

Peace be with you.

Nice—isn’t it?

Above the door to the actual church there were these statues. Jesus and his apostels maybe?

9732581432_0139264589_c.jpg

Just guessing though.. I wasn’t well prepared for Montserrat. It was sort of a last minute decision to do this after our cruise. I did manage to find out how to get there and learned about the different possibilities …but I didn’t spend much time in preparing the actual sight.

This might be the reason, why we ended up standing in a line we didn’t know what for. Mhhh. The church itself looked pretty empty. Was this the entrance to it? The line was at the right of the actual church. Inside, but separated through this iron fencing

9729335715_dd72aaa2de_c.jpg

The line hardly moved at all. We didn’t know how long it was or what it would lead to. It was a very narrow hallway with graves and altars intermittently on the left side. It was impressive, but since we were only allowed to take pictures without flash, all my pictures of it came out blurry. Behind those little alcoves you could always get a glimpse of the actual splendour of the church. Wow! Again, the pictures didn’t turn out. I did get a nice one of one of the beautiful windows though

9732526582_3fcf050def_c.jpg

The line went on and on.

9732537936_cac56ab35d_c.jpg

Stairs?

Going up?

This just can’t be the entrance to the church…we pretty much passed the whole length of it already on the right hand side.

???

But the decoration does look impressive, doesn’t it?

But where were we headed to?

More to come!

Barcelona (part five of ten)

Montserrat (last part)

Let’s talk about pilgrimages for a minute. The Huge Christian pilgrimages lead to Jerusalem, Rome or Santiago de Compostela. But there are many more “holy” sights all over the world, where people head off to either to seek inner wisdom, closeness to God, magical healing of a serious illness, a cure for any kind of lack in their life, or simply out of curiosity.

A couple of years back Tanja and I stumbled over this grotto in Mellieha, Malta. There was a white stone Madonna behind some cast iron fence with lots of candles in front of it. Other than the light of the candles this place was pretty dark and the eyes had to adjust to this for a minute. Once you could see clearly, it started to be a little creepy. There were all kinds of baby clothes hanging on the walls with notes and prayers next to it -- also crutches and other devices. We didn’t know for sure, but it felt like this place was visited by desperate parents praying for the recovery of their babies. There was a strange “intense” feeling here--- hard to describe.

Last year, Tanja and I spend a week of recovery from the loss of our foster daughter (she’s alive and well I believe --- or at least wish to believe). One day around noon time Tanja decided it was too hot to do anything and wanted to take a nap. I was strangely drawn outside. I had seen a little monastery up on a neighbouring mountain and I felt the strong urge to go check it out. That day we had a sizzling 42 degrees Celsius and I didn’t take any water with me. It was about a two hour ascent to the base station and another hour up to the top. Pretty everyone with a tiny bit of common sense took some sort of vehicle to the base station and had plenty of fluids with them. No wait – the ones with the common sense didn’t even head out there in this heat. Anyway – I was close to fainting – I was already feeling nautious, when finally out of nowhere the base station appeared. I bought 2 Liters of water and drank one right there and then. When I reached the tiny monastery I felt mysteriously light, happy and calm.

I think it was just the dehydration and a bit too much sun on my head.

Women do pilgrimages up here when they have the strong wish for children. There are some hardships to it though…the woman is supposed to carry a large stone up here and is supposed to spend a night in prayer. Also -- if there will be a child born after this pilgrimage, she shall name the child Tsambika if it’s a girl or Tsambikos if it’s a boy. I don’t really believe in all of that – I didn’t carry a stone or spend a night up there…but sometimes, just in my mind I call Tarik my little Tsambikos.

…and now here in Montserrat, standing in this dubious line, we were about to witness yet another pilgrimage destination.

Foreign picture:

9782885636_f22ebd3078.jpg

La Moreneta – the black Madonna. She is the reason this whole monastery was built. A Shepard’s boy found it hidden in a nearby cave (the Santa Cova) and apparently several of the strongest men weren’t able to lift it up when it was supposed to be brought to Manresa. So the bishop at the time decided the Madonna wanted to stay up on the mountain and built the monastery for it. She is supposed to be responsible for several miracles…but I couldn’t find out which kind. During Franco they hid the Madonna. The monks resisted Franco’s urge to surpress all things Catalan and they risked their lives housing famous Catalan people and continuing to speak the forbidden Catalan language. Many of the monks paid with their lives, but Montserrat and the black Madonna had become a symbol for the Catalan wish for independence ever since.

All the people in our line were touched deeply while passing the Madonna. She is all placed behind glass, except the globe in her right hand, which is sticking out. I read online that it is supposed to represent the universe….I personally doubt that. What did the people of the time know about the universe? But all the people in front of us lovingly touched that globe --- and made their small kids do the same.

Why? I have no idea! – and that bugs me like crazy. Can anybody help me out here?

Well, we didn’t touch it (since we didn’t know what that meant – you can never be too careful with what you wish for).

Outside of the monastery all the pilgrims to the black Madonna could ---if they so desired—continue on as pilgrims right away:

9729257509_e16b38f8ea_c.jpg

On the way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela (the yellow on blue sign)….How cool – I didn’t know that. (Another ancient northern branch of the way of St. James leads through the village we live in). One day I’ll definitely do that as well…but I’ll start in St. Jean Pied de Port like most other pilgrims nowadays.

Okay --- enough of that!

Here some more impressions from Montserrat:

9729278433_2320b8e050_c.jpg

9732508584_fcfa7a8423_c.jpg

9732452860_1982d36c62_c.jpg

9729268541_de1e442235_c.jpg

We LOVED Montserrat and would have loved to spend more time up here…maybe even see the holy cave and ride up to the Summit with a separate funiculare. But Tanja felt weaker all the time and I think, she worked up a fever. We needed to get back to the hotel. She was in serious need of a bed and some rest.

More to come!

Hi Melissa,

I bought our tickets here:

http://www.vivaticket.it/index.php?nvpg[evento]&id_evento=1158154&idt=566

It was about 20 for an adult and about 15 for a kid...that includes entrance to the palazzo and the secret itineraries tour in English. You don't have a guide for the "open" parts of the palazzo, but after the secret tour you'll be pooped anyway. But it would be downright blasphemic not to at least look at the rest! It will blow you away!

Stef

Thanks, Stef! I really appreciate the info. There just seems to be so many tour companies out there, I didn't know who to go with :confused: But since you had a successful tour, I figured using the same company you chose would be a good bet :D

So, can I also ask you who you used for your Colosseum 3rd Tier tour? That is the only other one I am confused about. Seems like the cost should run about 30 Euros and I know the ticket will also get me into the Forum and Palentine Hill.... just not sure which company to purchase through.

Thanks so much!

Melissa

Oh admit it, you enjoying tortuing us poor, addicted souls :D

:cool:Muhahahaha. As a matter of fact -- yes -- to have you all hooked to every word I write here is sort of tantalizing. I'll try to limit your suffering though in not letting the new posts take too long. Deal?

Stef

:cool:Muhahahaha. As a matter of fact -- yes -- to have you all hooked to every word I write here is sort of tantalizing. I'll try to limit your suffering though in not letting the new posts take too long. Deal?

Stef

Deal!

Have you read The Secret Life of Bees? It is all I can think about now; a black Madonna plays a major role in the book :)

Women do pilgrimages up here when they have the strong wish for children. There are some hardships to it though…the woman is supposed to carry a large stone up here and is supposed to spend a night in prayer. Also -- if there will be a child born after this pilgrimage, she shall name the child Tsambika if it’s a girl or Tsambikos if it’s a boy. I don’t really believe in all of that – I didn’t carry a stone or spend a night up there…but sometimes, just in my mind I call Tarik my little Tsambikos.

This story is so touching, thank you for sharing it with us. Tarik is clearly a previous gift to you both.

Montserrat is also one of my favourite places, my Mum is scheduled to have heart surgery shortly, and as soon as she is well enough to travel I intend on bringing her here for a few days recuperation.

But back to the review, I hope Tanja was ok ?

Hi, Stef.

I was going to wait until you had completed your review before I chimed in and let you know how wonderful it's been to travel along with you and your family. You are quite the travel writer, storyteller, and I am enjoying your trip report so much!

Since we seem to have a bit of an intermission here, in the story, I thought that I might just tell you a quick story of my experience in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. It might explain the touching of the globe of the Black Madonna, maybe?

Anyway, as a prelude to the story, I can tell you that everywhere I travel (I am an American), I try to learn enough of the language that I can, at least, be polite. I don't have enough grasp to carry on a full conversation, but I can accomplish important travel-related things (like bathroom facilities, directions, and ordering wine!)...

So, I'm in St. Peter's Basilica and I see that many people are lining up to go before the statute of St. Peter and when they arrive, they cross themselves and touch his foot. I was so mesmerized by the whole experience of even being in Rome, being in St. Peter's Basilica... well, even though I'm not Catholic, I really wanted to go and touch St. Peter's foot. My husband didn't understand, but I just... wanted to. So, I got in line and I watched everyone... doing what they were doing.. and the Swiss Guard was watching everyone (this is an important detail).

Finally, it became my turn and I found myself in front of St. Peter's statute. And I reached up to touch his foot. And I became ... frozen ... literally frozen .... I was mesmerized.

I know that you have the understanding of how energy in a place feels. I know this because of statements that you have made. So, you probably understand how I just became a bit overwhelmed...

and then I noticed that I was being yelled at by the Swiss Guard. What?!? What was I doing wrong? He was yelling at me in Italian. I couldn't understand a word. Then, unbelievably, he switched to French! Yelling at me in French. And, I just stood there with my hand frozen on the statute. And, then ... you'll be amazed at this ... he switched to German! Yelling at me in German. I just stared at him, shaking my head ... and, finally, he switched to English. Oh, thank goodness, he hasn't stopped yelling at me, but at least I can now understand what he wants! What he wanted was for me to let go of the statute. Well, that seemed reasonable to me.

But, I went up to him and just politely asked him what I had done wrong? He told me that touching the statute was a "sign of respect." That I wasn't supposed to "hold onto" the statute, but simply "touch and go." He repeated this to me several times. You "touch" and "go," a "sign of respect." Of course, I apologized for my behavior but told him that I was overwhelmed by the experience and he lost all of his anger towards me. He actually smiled and said, "sorry. I should have started with English."

so, maybe, the touching of the globe of the Black Madonna is meant to be a sign of respect? Hopefully, you may have a Catholic reader or a person who knows the history who would be able to answer more knowledgeably.

And, now, back to Barcelona..... well, on our way back to Barcelona...

Edited by Member123