Valor July 14-21 plus Vieques; Port and photo intensive review

cra-z-2cruise

If only my Spanish was as good as her English, por favor! :)

Oh boy is that right! I can pick up a phrase here and there but not enough to converse. Although, I am getting pretty good at figuring out what they are talking about without knowing the words. ;)

Yes, it was hot, but we are from Southeast Texas and it was actually cooler on our trip than it was at home. Of course, home does not have the beautiful water or the lovely sea breeze either! Where is PR do you live? We really loved our time there!

Your pics of my birthplace has me wanting to go back to PR. I was born in Aguadilla and have not been there since 1998. By the way...i live in houston.:D:D

Thanks aplmac...I'm definitely planning to bring my "big girl camera " and some fav lenses for ship photos and old San Juan...but want a decent point and shoot /waterproof camera for our excursions ...hence wanting to know which model Olympus the OP is using :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner. Had to work late today (just got home) and probably tomorrow too! :rolleyes:

The vast majority of the pics were taken with the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020u. (bought on the ship in 2011 after old Olympus stopped working):(:(:(

Some of the photos are with DH's camera, Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.

We both agree that the underwater pics are better on mine.

We also have a couple of Canon DSLR's and some nice lenses, but have only taken them on one cruise. It was just so much trouble carrying them around and I was always worried something would happen to it. That's the last thing I want to worry about on vacation!

Anyway, we have always been happy with the results from these two underwater's and have never really missed not having the big ones. :D

Most of the photos were edited with Photoshop, a few, especially St Thomas, did not need any correction and are straight out of the camera.

I'm editing as I go, so have not finished the rest of the trip yet.

LOVE your review so far. We were just on the Valor in April and we did this same itinerary a couple years ago on RCL Serenade of the Seas.. We are doing a western cruise on the magic at Thanksgiving but just can't stop thinking about our Valor Cruise.. love that ship.. that's the cruise that really Hooked us.. We did the same as you in St Thomas.. At first I thought man we sure are paying a lot of money just to see a beach but I soon learned Trunk Bay is not just a beach. It was just breath taking.. Can't wait to see more pictures of the other Islands and relive our cruise.. It will probably be April of 2015 before we can go back. :(

Looking forward to more of your review.

Thanks! :)

Trunk Bay was pretty great!

And we were the only ship in port, so not crowded at all. Already want to go back!

Loving your review! It's making me so excited for our October cruise ...

Gorgeous pictures! What kind of camera did you use?

Thaks Sthomp! Glad you are enjoying the review!

Main camera- Olympus Stylus Tough 6020u

DH camera- Olympus Stylus Tough 6000

Also, a few are from my iphone :)

HI I Am Loving your review and pictures! i especially love the review from someone who LOVES the water/beaches alot!!! we were swimming, well really floating in our local lake today when we decided maybe next year we would do this cruise.. i cant wait to read more.. did the sunshine in europe this year and it was also great...thanks...have to be in the water or dreaming about being in it , on it ....

Thanks dolphin2012!:)

We were in or near the ocean a lot on this trip, especially in Vieques! Already nagging DH to take me back! :):):)

WOW those underwater pictures from Barbados are amazing, what camera did you use? I accidentally forgot my camera in my cabin on our last cruise and didnt get it back so I am in the market for a new one.

How horrible you lost all your photos!:eek::eek::eek:

That is one of my biggest fears on vacation.

My old Olympus (one of the very first models) quit working on a previous cruise, but I didn't loose any photos.

I think it got a little water in it, because it started working again a few days later.

I bought the one I use now as soon as I got back on the ship.

The old one still works fine now, but I won't take it underwater again.

After reading about Gina and Calabaza I emailed her. What a sweetheart. She is very prompt in her responses. After getting all my questions answered I decided this was the excursion for us. We are booked already for February

You will not regret it!

This was my second trip with them, and this one was better than the last!

Gina and the whole gang is so great! :D:D:D

Did you know TLC has a new wedding show in Vieques? The wedding planner is a hoot! :D

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/wedding-island

No, I did not know there was a show on TLC about Vieques! In fact, prior to a couple months ago, I had never even heard of it before.

I'll have to check it out for sure! :)

Love that place so much...

Thanks to everyone for following and for all the kind words!:)

Glad you are enjoying the photos too! :)

I use these boards so much when planning our trips...just want to return the favor a bit!

Will get back to posting the review asap, but work has been getting in the way! ;)

It's August here in Barbados at 13 degrees North of the Equator.

It's bearable now but..

It's get hotter when it gets muggy in Sept. and October

with Trop.Depression/Storm weather systems passing close by!

The nights are worse than the days

because the reduced wind-speeds during the day at 5 mph

..slow to nothing during the night. Very still.

You don't want to be here. Not then.

Hi Aplmac, we are going to be in Barbados in December. I was wondering about water temps at that time of year. Any info would be appreciated. We love to snorkel but aren't quite sure what to wear in the water. I hear a rash guard and board shorts could be a good idea. I am trying not to douse myself with sun block so I don't hurt your coral.

Thanks for sharing your pictures from your trip! I sailed on the valor in November prior to her transition to San Juan and finally convinced my family to take a cruise again for my brothers 21st birthday trip so we will be sailing on her again on Saturday! I look forward to following the rest of your photos as you get them uploaded as we are still planning what we are going to do in port:eek: I know we are a bit late to the party but it will still be fun anyway!

How horrible you lost all your photos!:eek::eek::eek:

That is one of my biggest fears on vacation.

My old Olympus (one of the very first models) quit working on a previous cruise, but I didn't loose any photos.

I think it got a little water in it, because it started working again a few days later.

I bought the one I use now as soon as I got back on the ship.

The old one still works fine now, but I won't take it underwater again.

Thanks, luckily I changed out memory cards after the first leg of our B2B so I still have some pictures from part of the cruise. Hubby said we will just have to go back and do the second leg again. We did a tour in Grand Turk (been there many times but only went to the beach) it was a trolley tour that went out to the light house and I took so many fascinating pictures, those are the ones i miss the most.

I will definitly be switching out my memory card on this cruise on a daily basis!!!

LiquidCrystal.jpg

Hi Aplmac, we are going to be in Barbados in December.

I was wondering about water temps at that time of year.

Any info would be appreciated.

We love to snorkel but aren't quite sure what to wear in the water.

I hear a rash guard and board shorts could be a good idea.

I am trying not to douse myself with sun block so I don't hurt your coral.

Compared to MI waters, our waters are warm all year round.

Hastings-1681.jpg

Some of us locals laugh when we say

we simply don't swim between Christmas and Easter -water's too chilly! :D

but that's because we are spoiled and can afford to wait for 80+ temps later in the year.

Between Christmas and Easter,

the waters around this island at 13 degrees N.

is more like in the 70s, if you can stand it that "chilly"! :D

Thanks for sharing your pictures from your trip! I sailed on the valor in November prior to her transition to San Juan and finally convinced my family to take a cruise again for my brothers 21st birthday trip so we will be sailing on her again on Saturday! I look forward to following the rest of your photos as you get them uploaded as we are still planning what we are going to do in port:eek: I know we are a bit late to the party but it will still be fun anyway!

Thanks skiracer, glad you like the pics! :)

I was late with planning, too! :eek:

In fact, prior to arriving in St Kitts, I had absolutely no idea what we were going to do...but it worked out perfectly.

Headed to work now, but hope to have a little time to work on the review tonight! If not, definitely tomorrow because I'm off for the next two days! :):)

Leaving Saturday, I know you must be beyond excited! :cool: I hope you have an awesome trip!