Port of Spain, Trinidad

Blackrobe

It's been years since we've hoofed around Trinidad as we now concentrate on Tobago, but I'll tell you what I remember.

The zoo they have there is unlike any other that we've seen. Emperor Valley zoo, I believe. They have alagators that are almost unfenced, don't know how many people fall prey to them every year, but it is amazing to see. We somehow befriended the zookeeper and he allowed my wife to hold a number of snakes, including a Boa. Anyway, it is a great place to see.

We visited a number of other spots, but none really stick in my mind except carnival. The best in the Caribbean!

I really suggest a group tour here. Taxi tours are a little chancy and a number of people (including us) have been dropped off miles from the airport because we wouldn't pay the fare that somehow doubled during settle-up time. Also, Port-of-Spain can be a little intimidating to some.

Do a group tour and you'll enjoy this wonderful island! :)

I have been there 3 times.

First time we got a taxi and toured around the town. taxi. We enjoyed it very much. The driver stopped for photo ops etc. I would not want to walk around town from what I saw.

Second trip I went to the Bird Sanctuary. I was given the tour ticket by another pax. It was a long ride. Unless you are into birds, I don't recommend it. I thought it was expensive and would never have paid that amount myself.

Third trip I took the ship tour to the Monastary. It would have been better to get a taxi and do it myself. The tour guide rushed us so bad I couldn't even stop in the store to purchase anything. I did see others pull up in taxis.

The only thing I have left to do is visit the WWII base. :)

There are some shops at the dock.

We've been to Trinidad twice -- once for a business trip and the other as a port stop on a cruise.

Not really fair to mention too much about the business trip (stayed in that upside-down hotel) because we had everything planned for us and don't have the details on how to go about planning .... Did like the Rain Forest thing we did as a group ... and we normally don't care for rain forest excursions ... but, this one was actually more interesting than most.

On our cruise ship port stop we took the ship's tour to MARACUS BEACH.

It was a 4-hour tour with about two hours at the beach. You go in a taxi (4 people per taxi) through the mountains which is actually a part of the Asa Write Rain Forest to get to the beach. Lots of photo opts of the harbor and the ship below. It showered sereral times (rain forest :rolleyes:) but the beach below was always sunny.

It's a pretty palm lined BUT rustic beach which is on the Atlantic so there are real waves. Our taxi driver was great and drove us around a bit and though town on the way back.

Honestly, it is not a place to be walking around alone. Find a ship's tour or a good taxi!!!! Also, at the port area there's a vendor market with t-shirts, etc. which is safe.

Hope this helps a bit! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Port of Spain twice.

When we where there for the first time (it was a itinerary change and we were not able to get information) we did not book a tour and were very disappointed. The area where the ship is docked is very dull. It is an oil harbour and there were armed guards in front of the harbour warehouses and we were afraid of walking on our own. Two years ago friends of us stopped at this harbour and wanted to make an independent tour via taxi, which was much cheaper. After the taxi had left the city, the driver stopped and asked for more money, otherwise he would drive them no more. Fortunately the two men were very strong and told him that they will give him a beating, so the driver went back to the ship. They could be happy that the did not drove in an aera where they were robbed of. I do not know if this changed in the meantime, therefore I opt for a ship-tour.

Last time when we very there with Princess we did the Maracas Beach tour (it was a nice beach and the driving time was one hour each way - so that we could see Port of Spain and the lush tropical vegetation of the countryside). The tour was with a cab and we were able to leave the beach whenever we wanted (if the other couple agreed) The taxi driver waited on the beach. On the way back we stopped two time because the other couple wanted to buy beer.

Archived