Has anyone stayed at the Gran Melia Resort?

bridedoll1026

Has anyone stayed at the Gran Melia Puerto Rico Resort? Can you recommend good restaurants and transportation choices to the pier? Thanks for your help!

We're staying there in a few weeks and renting a car through Charlie's. It is pretty cheap in comparison to what it would cost to taxi all the way out there and back. Plus we get to go see different things. There are the shacks at Luquillo that are supposed to have good food.

We're staying there in a few weeks and renting a car through Charlie's. It is pretty cheap in comparison to what it would cost to taxi all the way out there and back. Plus we get to go see different things. There are the shacks at Luquillo that are supposed to have good food.

I spent many years of my childhood near Luquillo. The food shacks are great--be sure to try the pinchos and pan de agua (essentially meat kebabs with bread)! Also, Luquillo beach can have bad rip tides so be careful.

Hubby and I go to PR next month, and I can't wait to relive some of my childhood before our cruise!!

Gran Melia is one of the time shares we had available. It is near Rio Grand and Loquillo. Much closer to OSJ than the other one available to us. I made a week reservation for next May before our Jewel OTS cruise.

I am hunting for the glass beach, probably near Rincon. It is supposed to be a beach full of sea glass.

I will pay attention to this board for comments.

Norine

We have stayed at the Gran Melia the last two years in a row...

No review, but I posted a lot of Gran Melia pictures...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602655

Quick review of our second visit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835842

I would not taxi to Gran Melia...it is so easy to drive around PR..and then you can go to Luquillo, El Yunque, the Biobay and Charlies Cafe on your own. charlies is a great place to rent a car. Our first trip to Gran Melia we were amazed at the beauty of the grounds and the amazing pool. The rooms are large and comfy..sometimes a bit musty but the ac takes care of that. Our second trip wasnt quite as mesmerizing just because we had been there before. The front desk staff have no customer service skills at all... We won our rooms on Priceline too..I think we got both for under $100!

Let me know if you have other questions...Lauri

We have stayed at the Gran Melia the last two years in a row...

No review, but I posted a lot of Gran Melia pictures...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602655

Quick review of our second visit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835842

I would not taxi to Gran Melia...it is so easy to drive around PR..and then you can go to Luquillo, El Yunque, the Biobay and Charlies Cafe on your own. charlies is a great place to rent a car. Our first trip to Gran Melia we were amazed at the beauty of the grounds and the amazing pool. The rooms are large and comfy..sometimes a bit musty but the ac takes care of that. Our second trip wasnt quite as mesmerizing just because we had been there before. The front desk staff have no customer service skills at all... We won our rooms on Priceline too..I think we got both for under $100!

Let me know if you have other questions...Lauri

Thanks for the information. I looked at the pictures and read your review. We can hardly wait for next May to get here. We will be renting a car so we can travel the island. I want to find the beach that has the Sea Glass.

Norine

I am glad that the information was helpful! It is a very beautiful resort. You will have a great time. We love PR and cannot wait to go back in 2016..our first B2B.

There is so much of the island that we have not explored...I could be there for weeks and never run out of things to do...renting a car is the only way to go. It is a piece of cake to drive there once you get outside OSJ!

Have fun! Lauri

Archived