Do-It-Yourself Day in Tenerife

bottomfeeder

I was in Tenerife for a day on a transatlantic cruise last fall, and did a wonderful all-day private tour with a group from my roll call that included Mt. Teide and many of the other picturesque sights around the island.

I have a day there on my upcoming transatlantic cruise, and am thinking of heading out on my own. I thought the natural history/archaeology museum looking interesting.

Would love to know how difficult it would be for me to get from the dock to the museum on my own. Is there a tourist office close to the dock that could give me advice/sell bus tickets if needed/etc.? Does it matter that I'm female and am thinking of doing this alone--is that a bad idea?

Any other ideas for a good day-in-the-city? (I'll be there in mid-November and the ship sails at 2:30 PM so it's not really a full day.) Thanks in advance!

I am thinking of doing the same thing. My TA is late November. I've done a little research and it appears to be very walkable from the port. I would expect walking around by yourself is fine. Like any other city, be aware of your surroundings.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The ships dock in Santa Cruz in the city centre, so walking into town is very easy. Taxis are also very cheap and plentiful in the Canary Islands. You could also consider taking the tram to La Laguna, which is a university city with nice typical Spanish Colonial style architecture.

Tenerife is safe as the economy relies on tourism, but as everywhere else in the world, keep an eye on your belongings.

Archived