A random tip about cameras and vacations

One caution: I would not try to load a JPG not taken by the camera into the mem card, whether taken with a different camera or a JPG created by Microsoft Paint, etc.

Unlike computers or smart phones, cameras only have primitive routines embedded in them for viewing photos. They only expect a certain photo size and resolution, as well as naming convention. Cameras are not smart enough to display a different size than they are capable of producing.

Say your camera produces 6000 x 4000 photos and you try to view a 4500 x 2500 photo, the camera may attempt to read 6000 pixels when only 4500 pixels are there, and it may read part of a different photo - or even just random data. This could corrupt the memory card.

This is why cameras all have their own dedicated folders under DCIM, so that camera A does not attempt to read a photo taken by camera B. That allows images to co-exist peacefully without risk of card corruption.

If you want to put your information in the mem card via JPG, the safest way is to take a photo of a sheet having the information on it with the camera.

One caution: I would not try to load a JPG not taken by the camera into the mem card, whether taken with a different camera or a JPG created by Microsoft Paint, etc.

Thanks for this caution. I was just about to try it when I read your post. I'm glad I didn't take the chance to corrupt my memory card. Could I just create a new folder on the card called "Owner Information" and place a word document in there?

Thanks for this caution. I was just about to try it when I read your post. I'm glad I didn't take the chance to corrupt my memory card. Could I just create a new folder on the card called "Owner Information" and place a word document in there?

Yes that would fine. As long as you don't put anything in the DCIM folder that does not belong there, it should be OK.

I take a picture of a piece of paper with name, email address, cruise ship, suite number, and cell phone number on Each memory card in picture one. I have used one per port as noted above. I also back them up to the MacBook Pro at days end. In our point and shot I do the luggage pictures outside and inside.

None of this would work for me. I download everything every night on to my laptop then reformat the memory card to be ready for the next day.

Of course, photography is the main reason for most of my vacations so losing my camera is probably not going to happen.;)

Archived