Boston Hotels

spcl4cs_gal

I'm looking to book a hotel in Boston for next summer that will let me stay relatively close to Fenway Park but have some sort of airport shuttle service as well. Any suggestions? How close is the port to Fenway/Logan? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. From the sounds of things it seems like I will be spending more money than I would like to in order to get from the port to Fenway. Hopefully things will work out for the better in that department though. I was looking at the Boston Days Inn on Soldiers Field Rd or the Comfort Inn on Morrissey Blvd for a hotel stay but the distance from the port seems to be great. :(

You might consider Jury's Boston Hotel located in the Back Bay area at Stuart and Berkeley. Beautiful, Irish hotel built in the old Boston Police headquarters. We spent 3 nights there last week. Location is great - about 2 long blocks from the "T". We used their private car service (ask for Domenic) to go to the airport. Three of us for $30 in a beautiful Lincoln Town Car! I think the port might be a shorter (?) distance but he will quote you up front.You will pay a little more for this hotel but it was worth it in every way. Very elegant and restuarant has great breakfast.

Enjoy your time in Boston - it's a fabulous city!

Mollyanne :)

I would suggest that you look around a little more for a hotel. There are many lovely hotels in and around downtown -- Boston is a great walking city with a good rapid transit system (the T). I've known people who have gotten a good deal but found themselves in an unsavory area or far away from mass transit, and they've eaten up a lot of their savings with cab fares. You have plenty of time so you will probably be able to find a good deal on Priceline for a suitable hotel. Boston is not a cheap city for hotels, but you'll be able to get around for next to nothing if you choose carefully. Another idea is to go to the websites of some of the colleges here --- Boston University, Boston College and Northeastern University come to mind -- because they usually list suggestions for hotels for visiting prospective students, in all price ranges.

The Hotel Commonwealth would be perfect. It's a new hotel right in Kenmore Square, which is around the corner from Fenway Park. It's also right on the T, with a subway stop right outside the front door. Kenmore Square is right in the heart of Boston --- you can walk to some attractions, take the T about everywhere else you'd want to go. This is a really nice, safe part of the city. Others to look at would be the Sheraton Boston, and the Westin and Marriott both at Copley Place --- all are large hotels and sometimes have good deals, I've heard, especially on weekends. By the way, you can take tours of Fenway Park on most days, which I've never done but I hear is great. If you want to to see the Red Sox, you'll have to work hard to get tickets-- they sell out every game, way in advance. I hear that StubHub.com is a good resource -- it's for season ticket holders who want to sell some of their tickets. Be careful of eBay, scalping is illegal in Mass. when the price is inflated, there have been stories in the news lately about people who bought on e Bay and arrived at the park to find that their tickets had been invalidated by Red Sox management (tickets are scanned by a hand held computer as you enter the park.)

Also, you can take the T from the airport right into downtown --- assuming you can manage your luggage, of course, which is usually a problem for me when I'm going on a cruise!! Transportation to the pier will require a taxi.

There is a teacher I work with who is a die-hard Sox fan...to get a picture of the Green Monster for him, he would owe me big time. :D As soon as the schedule comes out this fall I plan to pounce on tickets and then plan my cruise around game day. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the schedule come out shortly after the World Series this year? Will have to watch very carefully...can I order tickets directly from the Fenway boxoffice I wonder? I can't seem to find anything on the Sox web site about it. Thanks for all of the advice about hotels...it is very much appreciated.

The schedule for Red Sox in 2006 should come out fairly soon after the World Series. Keep an eye on the Red Sox website for info re tickets --- these can be really hard to get, a large proportion are sold as season tickets and there are always stories on the news about people who sleep on the street outside the box office for DAYS before the public sale opens for the remaining ones. However, there are also other ways ---- StubHub.com, as I mentioned, or ticket brokers or ads in the paper. You could also post here on the boards when you have picked out your dates -- someone likely could put you in touch with some, it's perfectly OK to resell them for face value. I also really suggest signing up for one of the tours. I'm pretty sure they do them on game days, just not too close to the game, and you could get a great view of the Green Monster (and a picture in front of it!) that way. I should also mention that a Red Sox game is an expensive outing, we have the highest prices in MLB, and still sell out every game.

More expensive than the Yankees???? Wow I thought with their payroll that they would charge the most. Of course this season, with the bunch of has-beens they have, they really can't expect to charge too much now can they? ;) I see that the tours of Fenway are $12 according to the web site...that is really very reasonable. Thanks for all of your helpful info. :)

Alison, Red Sox tickets are truly hard to get. I tried to get tickets the day they went on sale on their web site, forget about it. I got nothing this season. Fenway Park is a very small ballpark, not as many seats to sell as Yankee Stadium. We love Fenway Park, even if it is old. Hope you are able to get tickets for next year.

If you don't get tickets when they annouce they are sold, contact me at that time through a PM or thread here. I work with someone who is a season ticket holder and sells off games at face value to offset the cost of the tickets. They are box seats and go for $75.00 per. Look into the tour as mentioned above as you will be able to go right up to the "Monster" and touch it as well as have your picture taken. You may even be able to get a little warning track dirt if you bring a bottle, but I didn't say that out loud.

As far as hotels go, the Commonwealth sounds good, never been. But if it is in Kenmore Square you are right around the corner. Marriott Long Wharf is also a nice choice. You are on the harbor, not far from the pier, but easily accessible to everything either by walking to Fanuel Hall and North End or the T to anything else. Have fun.

Visit America's most beloved ballpark -- Fenway Park

trans.gif

Tour News:

• Tours are cancelled June 26, August 21 and 23.

Visit the park where the Babe pitched, The Kid hit, Yaz dazzled, and Manny and Ortiz still thrill young fans today. Soak up the rich history; hear the echoes of the past. Touch the Green Monster, imagine being one of the "Knights of the Keyboard" as you see the view from the Press Box, visit the new Red Sox Hall of Fame presented by Volvo, and take a seat in the .406 Club before strolling around Fenway Park.

Tours now leave from the Souvenir Store across Yawkey Way hourly seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or until three hours before game time, whichever is earlier.

WHAT'S INCLUDED

The tours provides fans with a behind-the-scenes look at America's most beloved ballpark. All areas are subject to availability.

Tours of the oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball include the press box and broadcast booths; the new Red Sox Hall of Fame Club presented by Volvo; the .406 Club; the Dugout Seats; and Pesky's Pole.

When the field is available, fans may also have the opportunity to walk along the warning track and come face-to-face with the fabled Green Monster.

CONTACT US

For more information and group reservations, call the Fenway Park Tours Hotline at 617.226.6666 or e-mail tours@redsox.com.

I just came back from 5 days in Boston. Booked a "baseball package through the Marriott Copley Plaza. It was the mot beautiful place and most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Pricey but worth EVERY PENNY! Fenway was a blast. Fourth of July fireworks awesome! We could walk to everything, even Fenway. The subway only $1.25 and cabs averaged $5-9.00. TaKE A HARBOUR CRUISE THERE...It's a must! Great views and history! The Marriott offers packages for 10 different games. 500 packages all together. Even without a package deal it's a great time! Good Luck!!

Do these packages need to be booked directly with the hotel? I am checking into them at the online site for Marriot but there isn't anything mentioned. Also is there a min. number of nights that you must stay for these packages? At the end of my cruise I will have one day before I have to fly home and get back to work again. :(

Hi spcl4cs_gal,

I've been by the Hotel Commonwealth, but not in it. It is brand new and looks beautiful. It is right in downtown Kenmore Square, around the block from Fenway Park. You'll love Fenway. It's my favorite place to be. If you have time, try and book a duck tour. They drive you around in a big "duck boat" giving you a tour of the city and then take you for a splashing ride in the infamous "muddy waters" of the Charles River. And don't forget the Swan boats in the Boston Public Gardens. Both of these are close to Kenmore Square. The Marriott Long Wharf is a beautiful hotel, but not too close to Kenmore Square. Might cost $10 by cab. But the view is gorgeous and Faneuil Hall is right there. There is so much to see in this city, hope you can squeeze a lot in while you're here. Good luck seeing the Red Sox. I'll be there Friday night watching them beat the Yankees. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and get answers for you. Good luck!!

Jean :)

Thanks Jean for all of your suggestions. I think I might have to beg borrow and steal to get tickets for one game next season but I will be trying my hardest. It really isn't the same going to see them play here with the Blue Jays...the Red Sox Nation really isn't represented well here at times. :(

According to my schedule my ship arrives in Boston around 8am so once I deposit the luggage into a hotel room my first stop will definitely be Fenway. :)

• 5 weeks later...
There is a teacher I work with who is a die-hard Sox fan...to get a picture of the Green Monster for him, he would owe me big time. biggrin.gif As soon as the schedule comes out this fall I plan to pounce on tickets and then plan my cruise around game day. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the schedule come out shortly after the World Series this year? Will have to watch very carefully...can I order tickets directly from the Fenway boxoffice I wonder? I can't seem to find anything on the Sox web site about it. Thanks for all of the advice about hotels...it is very much appreciated.

Sox schedule 2006!!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/08/11/sox_yanks_won146t_debut_until_may_in_2006

The schedule for Red Sox in 2006 should come out fairly soon after the World Series. Keep an eye on the Red Sox website for info re tickets --- these can be really hard to get, a large proportion are sold as season tickets and there are always stories on the news about people who sleep on the street outside the box office for DAYS before the public sale opens for the remaining ones. However, there are also other ways ---- StubHub.com, as I mentioned, or ticket brokers or ads in the paper. You could also post here on the boards when you have picked out your dates -- someone likely could put you in touch with some, it's perfectly OK to resell them for face value. I also really suggest signing up for one of the tours. I'm pretty sure they do them on game days, just not too close to the game, and you could get a great view of the Green Monster (and a picture in front of it!) that way. I should also mention that a Red Sox game is an expensive outing, we have the highest prices in MLB, and still sell out every game.

Yes, tours operate on game day.

Archived