Embassy Suites Accessible Room?

PBNJ620

For any of you who have stayed in one of their accessible rooms , can you tell me a little more about it? I can't seem to find photos of it. My husband is in a wheelchair full time now and am wondering if we should take an accessible room or just use a regular room since it is only the one night. I am always concerned that someone who needs it more won't be able to get it if we take it.

I mean, of course, my husband could use it, but I suppose he could skip taking a shower for that one morning. BUT, would he be able to get through a standard doorway into the suite?

For any of you who have stayed in one of their accessible rooms , can you tell me a little more about it? I can't seem to find photos of it. My husband is in a wheelchair full time now and am wondering if we should take an accessible room or just use a regular room since it is only the one night. I am always concerned that someone who needs it more won't be able to get it if we take it.

I mean, of course, my husband could use it, but I suppose he could skip taking a shower for that one morning. BUT, would he be able to get through a standard doorway into the suite?

From all your previous posts as well is this post it appears that your husband needs a roll-in show so why would you even think about booing a non-accessible hotel room ?

Embassy Suites Standard Rooms generally has a wall that separates a sitting area from the bed area. It's my understanding from having recently booked an Embassy Suites accessible room that it does not have the wall. However not all Embassy suites accessible rooms have a roll-in shower some accessible rooms have tub/shower combo so you need to confirm that if required at time of booking. That's why it's important to deal directly with the Hotel Property rather than booking on their 1-800 reservations line or through an on-line discounter.

My son uses a chair full time and we must get an accessible room to be sure that he can get into the bathroom. He must also have grab bars around the toilet. I assume that your husband can walk short distances if you are considering a regular room??? If he cannot walk or stand I don't see how a regular room could work for you.

To the first poster...IF the doorways are okay to get a wheelchair through, he could pass on taking a shower for one day. Sometimes he does anyway.

To the second poster, right now my husband can walk a few steps but we do not know what he will be like by then as his condition worstens. Good point about the grab bar though, that would be really helpful for him to get up as we are finding that we are just about ready to install them in our home

THANKS EVERYONE!! This is all new to us so all of your help is great!

To the first poster...IF the doorways are okay to get a wheelchair through, he could pass on taking a shower for one day. Sometimes he does anyway.

A standard hotel room ...

• Generally does NOT have doors wide enough to allow entry of wheelchair into the room or the bathroom.
  • Generally does NOT have a enough floor space to maneuver a wheelchair around the room or the bathroom even if the doors are wide enough.

Sorry that this sounds harsh but needs to be said . What part of your husband is in a wheelchair and can only walk a few steps do you not understand is reason enough to get an accessible room ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

To the second poster, right now my husband can walk a few steps but we do not know what he will be like by then as his condition worstens. Good point about the grab bar though, that would be really helpful for him to get up as we are finding that we are just about ready to install them in our home

Hi, my husband has been a full time wheelchair user for over 40 years having been shot in combat in Viet Nam. Please, please do all the wounded warriors returning home and all civilians who are wheelchair uses a service by booking a wheelchair accessible room. The hotel/motel industry, as well as the cruise line industry, keeps trying to get the number of accessible rooms/cabins required reduced. They want less accessible rooms required because they say they have records that they are not used. All of us who try to book accessible room and accessible cabins know we need to do it directly with the hotels and through a cruise travel agent who understands accessibility. Book that accessible room and enjoy a stay that is so much more convenient.

Be careful when booking any "accessible" hotel room. It seems there are two definitions within the hotel industry of what constitutes accessible. Some hotels think that if they put in a couple of grab bars, that it makes a room ADA accessible. But if you need a roll in shower, you must expressly ask for that, otherwise you may get a room with grab bars and a tub/shower combination.

Be careful when booking any "accessible" hotel room. It seems there are two definitions within the hotel industry of what constitutes accessible. Some hotels think that if they put in a couple of grab bars, that it makes a room ADA accessible. But if you need a roll in shower, you must expressly ask for that, otherwise you may get a room with grab bars and a tub/shower combination.

You are exactly right. An accessible room might have a few extra square feet but still have a step in shower with grab bars.

• 4 months later...
You are exactly right. An accessible room might have a few extra square feet but still have a step in shower with grab bars.

If you are talking about the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale, double check with them the configuration of their "Accessible" bathrooms. We stayed there in 2010 and our bathroom had the toilet in the middle of the room (no grab bar on either side, just sink on one side and roll-in shower on the other). Fortunately for me, there was a shower chair that I could move near the toilet and use as a makeshift hand rail!

Also, be advised that the tiles on the hotel's first floor are a bit uneven which makes using a rolling aid (chair, scooter, or rollator) a bit rough.