Meta-Upgrade

NauticalNelle

I can't comment about how often it happens, but I had our reservation marked "meta-upgrade only". I didn't do it because I'm hoping for a meta-upgrade. I just don't want them to "upgrade" me unless it's truly a good upgrade because I'm quite happy with our room. I would have marked "no upgrade" except - well - if they want to upgrade me to a suite or something then I wouldn't say no.

I think if you mark your reservations "meta-upgrade only" you are going to be significantly less likely to get any kind of upgrade at all.

I can't comment about how often it happens, but I had our reservation marked "meta-upgrade only". I didn't do it because I'm hoping for a meta-upgrade. I just don't want them to "upgrade" me unless it's truly a good upgrade because I'm quite happy with our room. I would have marked "no upgrade" except - well - if they want to upgrade me to a suite or something then I wouldn't say no.

I think if you mark your reservations "meta-upgrade only" you are going to be significantly less likely to get any kind of upgrade at all.

I agree 100% with this! When we cruise the larger Princess Ships, we usually book a mini-suite on the Emerald Deck for the covered balcony. The minis are all the same size so upgrading to another mini without a covered balcony is really more of a downgrade for us than an upgrade.

But, if Princess really needs our Emerald mini, and they are willing to upgrade to a full suite (which should at least have a partially covered balcony), then we're OK with that!

Since most upgrades are to another cabin of the same type, it is reasonable there are not too many Meta Upgrade offered.

I would assume that there may be more chance of meta-upgrades if you start at a lower level? If you are starting at balcony or mini-suite there isn't much in the way of meta-upgrades available.

On the other hand, we know friends who always book an inside cabin and do pretty well on ending up in an ocean view or higher.

Booking the highest type within a category gives a better chance at a meta-upgrade since there is nothing higher left in the same category.

For example, book an IA inside, an OB oceanview, a B1 balcony or a MA mini-suite. Then if there is an upgrade in your future, it can only be a meta-upgrade.

Archived