More Baths Questions

khank

We will be arriving in Tortola on a Sunday on the Jewel of the Seas. Our port time is 8:00 - 5:30 and it appears that we are the only ship in port - Woo Hoo! We are trying to decide between visiting the Baths on our own or going with Patouche. We have used the ferries in St. Thomas to go to St. John in the past, so we are comfortable using them.

In looking at the Sunday ferry schedule, I think we would want to take Smith's 8:50 ferry to VG and return on their 3:00 ferry to Tortola. How much are taxis from the cruise terminal to Smith's and then from where you dock at VG to the Baths? I'm trying to do a cost comparison between doing this on our own vs. Patouche.

I know that the ferry ride is ~ 30 minutes. How long is the taxi ride from the cruise terminal to Smith's and then from VG dock to the Baths? If we do this on our own, I'd like to go to the Mineshaft for lunch on our return. What time would you recommend that we depart the Baths to allow time for this and catch the 3:00 ferry? Do the ferries run pretty much on schedule?

Once you walk the trail down to the Baths, is there a particular direction we should go or is it obvious?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I realize I have asked a LOT of questions in this post!

Karen

In looking at the Sunday ferry schedule, I think we would want to take Smith's 8:50 ferry to VG and return on their 3:00 ferry to Tortola. How much are taxis from the cruise terminal to Smith's and then from where you dock at VG to the Baths?

I know that the ferry ride is ~ 30 minutes. How long is the taxi ride from the cruise terminal to Smith's and then from VG dock to the Baths? If we do this on our own, I'd like to go to the Mineshaft for lunch on our return. What time would you recommend that we depart the Baths to allow time for this and catch the 3:00 ferry? Do the ferries run pretty much on schedule?

Once you walk the trail down to the Baths, is there a particular direction we should go or is it obvious?

Karen... I'll try and give some answers..

We have always walked to the ferry terminal from the cruise port..it is a short walk.

At VG, there are shuttle buses to the National Park.

As I recall, the copper mine is at the opposite end of the island. probably best to get a cab when you are done with the baths... have them take you up there, then bring you back to the ferry dock.

When you walk down the path, it leaves you on a beautiful beach... turning to your left takes you thru the 'caves' to the Baths area.

Hope this helps.

Khank I'vpsted the ferry and taxi rates in other posts that you can find using the search function. Using a taxi on VG is pretty cheap if you have the driver return to pick you up and drop you at the Mineshaft, etc (excellent choice, by the way). And the Mineshaft is just a short taxi from the Baths, it is not on the north end.

If you do not want to include the Mineshaft and a mini land tour by all means take Joe's daysail as it is excellent.most people don't have enough time in port to take advantage of that.

Enjoy our favorite island!

Thank you both for your help. We are going to do the Baths on our own.

blue_water - What time would you recommend that we depart the Baths for the Mineshaft to allow enough time for lunch and then to catch the 3:00 ferry?

There is no need to prearrange any excursions here. Taxis line up at the pier to take you anywhere you want to go. Several passengers hopped into taxis and got the exact same tour that other passengers paid double for through the ship. Our sights were set on visiting Virgin Gorda. We got off the ship just after 8:00 am and walked 15 minutes to the red-roofed ferry terminal off to the left of the pier. Click on map for larger image of walking route from cruise pier to ferry dock.

Speedy's and Smith's both offer service to Virgin Gorda. However, only Speedy's could get us back before our 3:00pm departure. So we caught the 9:00 am Speedy's Ferry over and the 12:30 pm ferry back. Cost was $25 per person roundtrip, including roundtrip Speedy's Taxi service from the Virgin Gorda docks to The Baths. (You will not want to attempt to walk to The Baths from the dock). We brought our mask and snorkel with us. Rentals are available at The Baths for $10 plus a $30 deposit. We sat upstairs in the open air seating atop the ferry. Cool winds and great views. 30-35 minute ride each way followed by a 10-minute taxi to The Baths.

There is a $3.00 (adults) and $2.00 (children) entrance fee to The Baths which are part of the BVI National Parks Trust. A restaurant appropriately named “Top of the Baths” is nearby and offers incredible views of the surrounding islands. A 5-minute walk (350 yards in length) down to The Baths was rocky and uneven. At the bottom, single-use-only lockers can be rented for $2.50 each, via a token that can be purchased at the shop nearby. They are large enough to hold a beach bag or backpack. Tokens are also required if you wish to take a shower. The Baths are an incredibly fun experience. The Baths were really fun to explore. Highly recommend water shoes, a water camera, and a swimsuit. A beautiful beach with crystal clear waters awaits visitors on the other side of the rock maze. While not the greatest snorkeling site for fish, the coral formations were interesting. A beautiful beach with crystal clear waters awaits visitors on the other side of the rock maze. The water was nice and clear. Visibility was easily more than 50 feet! We would have liked to stay another couple of hours, and look forward to another visit. Highly recommended!

On our second trip to The Baths, we opted to pay an additional $10 ($35 total) for Speedy's “Sun and Fun” package which also included lunch and rum punch at The Bath & Turtle. After visiting The Baths for four hours, our taxi driver returned for us at 1:30pm, as agreed, to take us into town to eat. The Bath and Turtle Bar and Grill, located in a small strip mall with a dive shop, bank, and a few other shops, has little atmosphere but they make it up with good food and friendly service. Our coupon indicated that we could spend up to $10/pp, but our waitress allowed $12/pp which covers most items on the menu. We enjoyed our rum punch with a lunch platter consisting of a Caribbean Jerk Chicken sandwich, coleslaw and potato salad. We shopped a little after our leisurely lunch, then headed for the pier. The pier is a short 5-minute walk across a parking lot, past a small grocery store, and beyond an old partially-fenced park. Our ferry was already at the dock when we arrived at 3:00pm. We promptly boarded and departed on time at 3:30pm, arriving back in Road Town at 4:05pm. We had no problem getting back to the ship before the 4:45pm cutoff. Highly recommended!

Note: Prices may have changed since we were there last.

I've got a map of the walk from the port to the ferry dock here:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Just scroll down to Tortola.

Thank you both for your help. We are going to do the Baths on our own.

blue_water - What time would you recommend that we depart the Baths for the Mineshaft to allow enough time for lunch and then to catch the 3:00 ferry?

Hi khank,

You'll be taking either the 8:50 AM Smith's ferry or the 9 AM Speedy's ferry to Spanishtown, and you will need to take the 3 PM Smith's ferry back to Road Town since the 4:15 PM Smith's ferry is too late.

2 important points here:

1) If you don't make the 8:50 AM Smith's ferry not to worry. You can take the 9 AM Speedy's ferry there and the Smith's 3 PM ferry back, you just buy a one-way ticket both ways. The price will be $40/adult RT rather than $30.

2) VERY IMPORTANT - Everyone else will be scrambling to make the 3PM return ferry because it is the absolute last ferry. So you need to have your ticket in hand and be in line well before 2:30.

So you will have about 5 hrs on VG from the time you arrive to the time you get in line for the return to RT. I would allow 1.5 hrs to stop at MIneshaft for their Cave In and a quick lunch. So if you want to include that have the driver return for you at the Top of the Baths around noon, but that will only give you about 2.5 hrs at the Baths. Otherwise just grab a bite at the Top of the Baths or at the Bath & Turtle in "Town and then you can walk to the ferry.

Very easy to get around as everything is close in the Valley - have fun!

Even though we have yet to take Joe's cat sail (patouche) I would highly recommend that based on reviews from others we meet while staying on Tortola. He's one of the favorites along with Aristocat Charters and Kuralu. Just a much nicer experience when on a catamaran. But either way you'll enjoy your day for sure.

We have been 4 times atnthe Baths, the best ever. On our first trip, we meet with Egbert, he was waiting atnthe pier and offered to bring ou to the Baths, formthe same price, on a speedboat. I was a bit relectant, but had seen some review, we went there and had the time of our lives. He drops you right on the beach. Last time, we were there on a sunday. The ferry is closed, found egbert again, he brougt us, we were 10 persons max, unbelivable

• 1 month later...

who is Egbert and how do you find him? thinking of doing the baths on dec 19 but ship is only there from 7-2:30 so need to make sure that i have someone reliable to get me back. thanks.

Edited by cruiserSg
misspelling

Usually Egbert is always just after the gates. Usually, henhas a sign on which The Baths. I used to have jis phone number, i will look for it tonight. Last year i did not phone him ahead but he was there as usual. I assure you you can not go wrong. I will reply tonight

From tortolla on sunday thereia minimum servie, one ferry at 9 am the next one at 1 30, since our boat arrived at 9 withouth an independant we would not have made it

Yes there are 2 fewer ferries on Sunday but they are not closed, you just need to be clear with your information as people rely on that.;)

And most ships arrive earlier and folks have no problems with the 9AM ferry.

My information is acurate, just look at the ferry schedule, one leaving at 9 the other one at 1 30, the information was acurate! I have no interest in given wrong information, just there to hepl out. Imhad a great time with this independant operator on kore than 4 occasion.

Have a great cruise!

We will be arriving in Tortola on a Sunday on the Jewel of the Seas. Our port time is 8:00 - 5:30 and it appears that we are the only ship in port - Woo Hoo! We are trying to decide between visiting the Baths on our own or going with Patouche.

Karen

If Patouche has an excursion that meshes with your cruise schedule, it is so worth it.

Love being on their catamarans that take you to The Baths by water rather than dealing with the ferry and taxi and having walk up and down that hill. :)

LuLu

~~~~

• 3 weeks later...
who is Egbert and how do you find him? thinking of doing the baths on dec 19 but ship is only there from 7-2:30 so need to make sure that i have someone reliable to get me back. thanks.

CruiserSg - I'll be there the same day. Are you on the Carnival Freedom, or another ship? Did you call and book Egbert? I'm headed to the Baths also, just haven't figured out how just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of going to the Baths while in Tortola but we are not swimmers. Would we be able to enjoy our time at the Baths or is swimming necessary to explore the Baths? Just want to know if we should stick to doing an island tour on Tortola instead of visiting the Baths.

We are thinking of going to the Baths while in Tortola but we are not swimmers. Would we be able to enjoy our time at the Baths or is swimming necessary to explore the Baths? Just want to know if we should stick to doing an island tour on Tortola instead of visiting the Baths.

You do not need to be a swimmer. You can also find several videos of the Baths and Vifgin Gorda on youtube to get a better feel. The baths are unique as we'd highly recommend a visit. The only problem is the number of people going there at once from the ship.

My information is acurate, just look at the ferry schedule, one leaving at 9 the other one at 1 30, the information was acurate! I have no interest in given wrong information, just there to hepl out. Imhad a great time with this independant operator on kore than 4 occasion.

"Last time, we were there on a sunday. The ferry is closed..."

That was your post, and some may believe the ferry does not run on Sundays based on this post. Even though you could not use the ferry many ppl dock earlier and can take advantage of the ferry so want to clarify that for others who rely on this forum, that's all, glad you were able to enjoy your day. ;)

Edited by blue_water