Thanksgiving in San Juan--Will anything be open??

bb24

We will be on Indy in November and will be in port in San Juan on Thanksgiving Day. I've been searching the internet for information about what may or may not be open that day, since Puerto Rico is an American Territory.

Has anyone been there during Thanksgiving? Is the free trolley running? Are the forts open?? Restaurants??

I don't know about Thanksgiving but we were there on a Christmas. Most shops were open, the Hard Rock was open, tour operators were staged outside the gates of the terminal, the Castle/Fort was open.

Also, because San Juan is a US territory our US cell phones worked just like they would at home in the states so we could call the relatives for the holiday. :)

We will be on Indy in November and will be in port in San Juan on Thanksgiving Day. I've been searching the internet for information about what may or may not be open that day, since Puerto Rico is an American Territory.

Has anyone been there during Thanksgiving? Is the free trolley running? Are the forts open?? Restaurants??

Castillo San Cristobal & Castillo San Felipe del Morro are open to the public everyday 9:00am to 6:00pm except on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Its a Big holiday here...no work, no schools only the tourist areas are open.!! All shopping centers are closed!

Edited by ClCB0911

Castillo San Cristobal & Castillo San Felipe del Morro are open to the public everyday 9:00am to 6:00pm except on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Its a Big holiday here...no work, no schools only the tourist areas are open.!! All shopping centers are closed!

Thank you for that information! When you say the tourist areas are open, are you referring to the Old San Juan area?? Do you know if the trolley will be running?

• 10 months later...
I know this is from last year, but can anyone tell me if the Bicardi distillery will be open on Thanksgiving day? We're in the same situation with being in San Juan then this year.

Hi VtRhyno! I'm also going to be in San Juan on Thanksgiving day this year & have been trying to find out what will be open. Looks like Bacardi is going to be closed & many tours will not be operating. On the plus side though I read Barrachina is usually open Thanksgiving day with a special menu & of course pina coladas! I did find a couple tours operating that day but wasn't sure I wanted to do them. Check out Expedia's things to do page, they had the best prices.

I would double-check with the cruise line if you are interested in any ship-sponsored tour. As a rule of thumb, if it's operated by a government entity (local or federal), more than likely it will be closed or not in service. Most shops in OSJ will open since they make their money when ships are in town and are mostly slow when not. Expect big name stores like Marshall's, Coach, Guess and Tommy Hilffiger (sp) to be closed. Taxis and tour operators will be available although more than likely tours will be to public access (non government kept) sites. Restaurants in OSJ and surrounding areas should be open, some fast food joints could be closed.

Even so, OSJ is an amazing place to walk, discover and explore in it's own. Walk around, go in through every open door and have fun!!