Breakaway August 25th to Bermuda quick review

Movieguy214

The good- Really liked the ship and the layout minus the madhouse of deck 15 around the pool. The good news is that if you didn't like an area of the ship, then there were so many other areas to choose from. I spent most of my time on decks 6-8, maybe because my cabin was on deck 8. The waterfront was just great and a nearly flawless design minus the lifeboats obstructing some of the sea views. Still, they have to go somewhere right? Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. I recommend you just take your own luggage off the boat during debarkation.

Also liked that you could feel the boat move. This was my 5th cruise and definitely the most movement on the water. I actually liked it. What is the point of being on a boat in the water if you can't feel it? My last cruise was on the Allure and the Breakaway felt a bit more like a ship than a floating hotel. It kinda reminded me of a really big version of the RCI Serenade (I was on the Serenade out of San Juan).

The food and service were both pretty good. I never ate at the free restaurants for dinner so I can't comment on those. I did eat at Teppanyaki, Sushi twice, Ocean Blue, Spiegel Tent, La Cucina, Pizza room service. Nothing was terrible, although La Cucina was my least favorite. The sushi was extremely reasonable and the best bang for you buck food-wise on the boat. Ocean Blue is definitely worth it just for the Dover Sole.

Bermuda was beautiful, and I'm glad we got to stay there for three days. Did Horseshoe Bay, Crystal/Fantasy caves, and the Commissioners house museum on the rainiest of the days.

Oh and I get engaged on this trip so that always adds an extra perk of happiness. :)

The bad- So I stayed in stateroom BX balcony cabin 8110. There was little information on these rooms since there are only four and the ship is brand new. What I knew before going in was that they were the least expensive balcony cabins and had some of the biggest balconies on the ship. Well unfortunately, the room was directly over crew working areas. I've been on a few cruises and stayed in many hotels and never heard such violent banging, clanging, and other noises in my entire life. It was so loud that the room often shook...especially the bed. I basically slept an average of four hours an night the first four nights until I got so exhausted that I finally slept more. Thank goodness I had noise cancelling headphones or else I'm not sure I would have slept at all. I complained about it, but the ship was full so we couldn't be moved. I got a small onboard credit, bottle of wine and some chocolate covered strawberries as compensation. The good news is that the huge balcony was almost worth it...almost. We actually already had two layout chairs already on the balcony. Still, if you can't handle violently loud and never ending banging noises then avoid this category of staterooms.

The ugly- Really only the madhouse of people on deck 15 on sea days. The buffet was always very crowded at breakfast time. You had to walk like a NYC cab driver to get through at times. :) No other really ugly complaints though.

Overall, I really did enjoy this cruise. I know I didn't sleep well because of the noises, but I tried to make the best of it and looked at it glass half full. I mean, how could going from one of the greatest cities in the world to Bermuda ever be bad?

Prior to the Cruise NYC- We went to a performance of Sleep No More the night before the cruise. I can't recommend this enough...some of the most innovative theater you will ever see. I don't really want to give anything away because it is an experience of discovery. It was simply amazing, and I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

I'm a bit busy this week, bit if anyone has any questions, then I'll try to answer as best and promptly as possible.

Congrats on your engagement!!!

Sorry about the noise. Definitely not a welcome surprise. But I love your attitude. I felt that everything was not perfect but it was definitely not terrible either.What vacation is perfect ,land or sea. :) I had a great time.

Welcome back !!!!!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
The good- Really liked the ship and the layout minus the madhouse of deck 15 around the pool. The good news is that if you didn't like an area of the ship, then there were so many other areas to choose from. I spent most of my time on decks 6-8, maybe because my cabin was on deck 8. The waterfront was just great and a nearly flawless design minus the lifeboats obstructing some of the sea views. Still, they have to go somewhere right? Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. I recommend you just take your own luggage off the boat during debarkation.

Also liked that you could feel the boat move. This was my 5th cruise and definitely the most movement on the water. I actually liked it. What is the point of being on a boat in the water if you can't feel it? My last cruise was on the Allure and the Breakaway felt a bit more like a ship than a floating hotel. It kinda reminded me of a really big version of the RCI Serenade (I was on the Serenade out of San Juan).

The food and service were both pretty good. I never ate at the free restaurants for dinner so I can't comment on those. I did eat at Teppanyaki, Sushi twice, Ocean Blue, Spiegel Tent, La Cucina, Pizza room service. Nothing was terrible, although La Cucina was my least favorite. The sushi was extremely reasonable and the best bang for you buck food-wise on the boat. Ocean Blue is definitely worth it just for the Dover Sole.

Bermuda was beautiful, and I'm glad we got to stay there for three days. Did Horseshoe Bay, Crystal/Fantasy caves, and the Commissioners house museum on the rainiest of the days.

Oh and I get engaged on this trip so that always adds an extra perk of happiness. :)

The bad- So I stayed in stateroom BX balcony cabin 8110. There was little information on these rooms since there are only four and the ship is brand new. What I knew before going in was that they were the least expensive balcony cabins and had some of the biggest balconies on the ship. Well unfortunately, the room was directly over crew working areas. I've been on a few cruises and stayed in many hotels and never heard such violent banging, clanging, and other noises in my entire life. It was so loud that the room often shook...especially the bed. I basically slept an average of four hours an night the first four nights until I got so exhausted that I finally slept more. Thank goodness I had noise cancelling headphones or else I'm not sure I would have slept at all. I complained about it, but the ship was full so we couldn't be moved. I got a small onboard credit, bottle of wine and some chocolate covered strawberries as compensation. The good news is that the huge balcony was almost worth it...almost. We actually already had two layout chairs already on the balcony. Still, if you can't handle violently loud and never ending banging noises then avoid this category of staterooms.

The ugly- Really only the madhouse of people on deck 15 on sea days. The buffet was always very crowded at breakfast time. You had to walk like a NYC cab driver to get through at times. :) No other really ugly complaints though.

Overall, I really did enjoy this cruise. I know I didn't sleep well because of the noises, but I tried to make the best of it and looked at it glass half full. I mean, how could going from one of the greatest cities in the world to Bermuda ever be bad?

Prior to the Cruise NYC- We went to a performance of Sleep No More the night before the cruise. I can't recommend this enough...some of the most innovative theater you will ever see. I don't really want to give anything away because it is an experience of discovery. It was simply amazing, and I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

I'm a bit busy this week, bit if anyone has any questions, then I'll try to answer as best and promptly as possible.

saw the post before the reservation of ncl getaway in September,