West Glacier Trail Hike

cms204

We just returned from an awesome cruise on the Century, and the highlight of the week was easily this hike. Each day that started with an amazing whale watch in Icy Straight, followed by sunny skies and a half mile distance from Hubbard Glacier, we said it couldn't possibly get better... and then it did.

It is not an easy hike by any stretch. It is about 3- 3.5 miles each way (6-7 total) with a decent amount of elevation gain, rough terrain, and slippery conditions after any rain. However, if you are in good shape, the destination is worth the effort.

Make sure that when you hit the fork in the trail, you go down to the right and not up to the left. Otherwise you will not have an opportunity to touch / walk on the glacier and see the ice caves.

I'll try to let the pictures speak for themselves. Let me know if you have any questions.

Alaska-1.jpg.8ec55c806ed87703f43b2814c5e57a96.jpg

Alaska-2.jpg.4bf829eca06e281333eaa6b7c9d743ec.jpg

Alaska-3.jpg.fce64b31cfd9d10af958077a60f4b175.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just look for the sign that says turn back because we don't want to rescue you!

Don't mean to rehash an old thread, but I just downloaded my Alaska pics from this summer and thought of this thread :)

It is a beautiful hike, but it is rough going and would highly recommend having a backpack to keep your hands free for climbing around.

I'd have an vague idea what an inuksuk is as well. You'll see small ones guiding your way and many people will get to learn a new word.

warning.jpg.9a1ee458e9e5d3fab2bf039fab393899.jpg

Where is this "West Glacier?"

It is not the "west glacier" but the "west glacier trail" - the trail on the western side of Mendenhall Glacier vs. the trails on the eastern side of Mendenhall Glacier, which is where most people go and where the visitor center, etc. are.

It is not the "west glacier" but the "west glacier trail" - the trail on the western side of Mendenhall Glacier vs. the trails on the eastern side of Mendenhall Glacier, which is where most people go and where the visitor center, etc. are.

Excellent description :)

If you are considering hiking the area, keep in mind that the West Glacier Trail is an official trail where the "ice caves" trail is an unofficial trail that goes off the West Glacier Trail.

If you are an experienced trail hiker in somewhat rugged terrain, have an idea how to maintain your bearings in wooded areas, and want to see the glacier up close, it is a somewhat difficult, but very cool hike. Even as an overweight professional desk jockey, I had no issues making it to the face of the glacier last summer. I was a bit winded by the end, but I made it without much issue.

To get to the ice caves pictured, you have to walk on the glacier itself, which at the very minimum should be done in groups and ideally with someone who knows what they are doing.

Frugeltravel had a good point, it would be best to go with a tour group and/or an experienced guide. While you can't read the sign very well in my photo I posted, that is the real sign at the beginning of the ice caves trail and paraphrased, it pretty much does say we don't want to have to come out and rescue you.

If the tour guide thing isn't for you and you still want to do it, I'd be happy to give you what information I have and post pictures along the route.

Frugeltravel had a good point, it would be best to go with a tour group and/or an experienced guide. While you can't read the sign very well in my photo I posted, that is the real sign at the beginning of the ice caves trail and paraphrased, it pretty much does say we don't want to have to come out and rescue you.

If the tour guide thing isn't for you and you still want to do it, I'd be happy to give you what information I have and post pictures along the route.

frugal does have a good point. Hiking off of the main West Glacier Trail as you have suggested leads to 10-12 search and rescue efforts annually. The folks that do this and report back are the ones who did well. You never hear from the ones who had to be rescued.