Princess Star 02/06

grandpa cruiser

I'm new to this site. Thank you in advance for your help! The wife and I have decided to try Princess Cruiseline--we have cruised extensively--HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCI, Costa--any recommendations as to cabins we should be considering? We usually book an outside or balcony. I'm leaning towards a balcony--I've read that some locations are better than others. Would really appreciate your opinions. In reading the postings so far, I'm finding that you are a very nice group of people who post here. Have seen some that are downright nasty on other sites. Keep up the good work!! And thanks again!:)

Hi Grandpa..

We did a transatlantic on the Star May1-15; wonderful ship. Something going on at all times. We've been on the Grand Class ships three times, all in minis. However, if that's not an option, I believe the Caribe deck balconies are larger than the others. Cabins are same size. As for outside accommodations, once you've had a balcony it's very difficult to live w/o one.

We've been on 45 cruises;20 with Princess. You'll see the difference immediately and I'm sure you'll be back.

Arlene

Hi Arlene:

You sure have been on a lot of cruises. Is that a recent picture, because you look less than the number of cruises you have been on.

I agree that once you have had a balcony, you always want one, but sometimes they are priced quite a bit more unless they have a balcony sale.

Grandpa Cruiser, Welcome to Princess. I do not think you will be disappointed with your choice. As for the cabin selection question, for many this can be a question of what you can afford, others, where you are going.

If money is not a problem a suite or balcony is lovely. Once you try that you always want it! As much as I love to have the balcony I can do without the additional cost & take another cruise. That said some itinearies you have to have the balcony (my opinion): Alaska, Med, Panama Canal, Tahiti.

Some state that they do not spend any time in their cabin at all, well, then the balcony is not the best choice.

You did mention leaning toward a balcony. The cabins on Caribe deck on the Grand Class Ships are larger than others. They also have some 1/2 covered.

As you read thru some threads here you will see all sorts of info. The Star Princess is beautiful. Will be going on her again in a few weeks.

Welcome & Good Luck :)

By sunprincess "You did mention leaning toward a balcony. The cabins on Caribe deck on the Grand Class Ships are larger than others. They also have some 1/2 covered."

sunprincess, am I mistaken as I thought ALL the Caribe Deck balconies were half and half.

grandpa cruiser - We found the best balconies to be either Baja midships - aft

fully covered balcony or Caribe. The Aloha balconies are ok but you get some noise from the deck above - not a deal breaker, but thought you should know.:)

When you decide when and ship, find your roll call. You are correct - great folks here :)

I was on the Star a few months ago and had a balcony cabin on Caribe deck. Those decks are MUCH larger than the others and are half covered. Some people object to the people on the decks above being able to look down onto the Caribe deck but they can only look onto the uncovered part and didn't bother me. I enjoyed being able to sit and relax in the shade of the covered part sometimes. On past cruises I didn't spend much time on my deck but with this large deck I spent alot of time relaxing there. The Star is beautiful and you'll have a terrific time whatever you choose.

Star Princess, like all the Grand class ships, have tons of balcony cabins. Some of the favorites are the aft-facing balconies. They give you the most privacy and are a real treat so long as the aft location doesn't bother you. You'll get some extra exercise if you pick one of these cabins.

Hi Arlene:

You sure have been on a lot of cruises. Is that a recent picture, because you look less than the number of cruises you have been on.

I agree that once you have had a balcony, you always want one, but sometimes they are priced quite a bit more unless they have a balcony sale.

Cruise Only......kiss, kiss, kiss, hug, hug, hug and then some more kisses. You just made my day! :D Yes, it's a recent picture; less than a year old. Nothing else I can add. For the first time in my life I'm speechless.

Arlene

We love the Star. The Caribe deck balcony cabins are the best. They are large and half covered. We had 2 lounge chairs, a table and 2 side chairs and a small table with ample room left over. We also have been on the Baja deck which is nice....the balconies are completely covered but are quite small. Have no hesitation whatsoever booking on the Star. You will love it.

Thank You everyone for all your great advice! I am now in the process of booking. Will post when I have it all finalized.

We are definitely going with a balcony.

Thanks Again!!!!:)

p.s. feel free to post any other advice--I'm new to Princess and would appreciate any insight all you frequent cruiser can give me!!!!!!!:) :)

Archived