Excursions for Disabled

silverwings7272

Hello,

My mother and aunts will be going to Barbados in November, and are looking for some fun and exiting excursions they can do together in Barbados. Two of the women are disabled, light walking is ok, no hiking or climbing. My mom really wants to swim with turtles but is under the impression that she will have to climb out the ship using an unstable ladder. She is also interested in the glass bottome boats to see the turtles. Does anyone have any personal experience or suggestions on which excursions would be best? She is open to excursions off the ship if the price is more affordable. Thank you for all suggestions.

All the excursions we've seen swimming with the turtles on require one to climb into and out of the water. The method varies. The easiest are those on Catamarans which put down the stairway like ladder in the middle of the front of the catamaran. While this is easier than a regular vertical ladder it still requires a little effort to get onto the first step, which is usually waist deep or higher below the surface, and then climb up.

The following photo is from a catamaran in St. Kitts a few years back, and not from Barbados, but is the best one I have that demonstrates this:

IMG_1561-w-M.jpg

Most ship excursions on catamarans and most catamarans with larger groups use this method as it is easier and quicker for getting people on and off. The only Catamaran we've done in Barbados has been the Silver Moon, a private excursion, and they have two boats. On one we've always had to climb a short vertical ladder onto the back of one pontoon in the back and on the other larger boat sometimes they use the small vertical ladders to the pontoons in the back and sometimes they've used the stairway type ladder similar to the photo above. If this would be acceptable you can call the operator of the excursion you're interest in to discuss this when you book.

Also, I've seen a page on Celebrity's site that discusses ship's excursions for those with special needs and which has contact information to get more info about accessible excursions: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs#onboard_accessible_excursions_tab

• 3 weeks later...

My DW has MS and uses a folding wheelchair when we travel. Twice over the past few years we have used Glory Tours and found them to be excellent. I would contact the owner, Sarah Taylor, and she what she can put together in the way of a tour that involves some snorkeling, she is very flexible.

If you do a web search for "special needs travel to Barbados" you will find a lot of helpful information about activities, transportation, accommodations, and restaurants for people with disabilities and mobility issues, on this website:

totallybarbados.com

• 3 weeks later...

Archived