Negative Costa reviews

phider

Personal remarks never make sense.

I am sorry if you perceived my response as a remark towards your person, that was not my intention. For that I appologise.

My response was only related to what you have written and how you have chosen to state your response. I simply wanted to give you feedback on how that came across.

Ofcourse I dont mind that I might not agree with your oppinion, but the issue is that you have not provided me with any answer to my question, that feels balanced, and thus voids any faith in your arguments.

I genuinely would like to have some valid, balanced and non-biased reponses to my question relating to both prices and food quality, and maybe other aspects surrounding Costa, and some people have given some very nice responses, which I can use to make a probable idea of what I can expect.

I just cant use "Costa's food is so much under cruise line standard" that it is perceived as almost dog food, to make any conclusion. It's a null way to come across with an argument, and it leaves me left with the same observation I entered the thread with - that it does not sound balanced, and I would like to hear other peoples oppinion about it.

The point in a nutshell is - you respond to the questions in a way that was the first reason for me to ask the questions in the first place. It was not substanciated with anything that seemed plausible.

Again - sorry if you feel that my response was an attack on your person, and not the post you wrote and how you wrote it.

Philip

normally, i like a little extra on the backside, but this is ridiculous:

How many passengers does that ship hold? It seems huge.

Agreed - it is a very parculiar ship design indeed. It will probably take some getting used to before you see its beauty!

The Costa Deliziosa which is going to be my first cruise in many years, seemed to fit well into my perception, although I also like the Royal C. ships - they seem very nice. I will probably go for one of those after my Costa trip this November.

Philip

Phil, I think Costa does get a bad rap on these boards. Living in the US, it is my experience that Costa does not discount Western Med - unless it is 30 days or so, or less out from sailing. We booked a Western Med for next Spring, choosing Costa so my Father-In-Law, who resides in Europe can speak any of the three languages he speaks onboard easily - English not being one of them. Trust me, no discounts. I was also very put off by the large volume of negative posts on CC, but as an Englishwoman, I like foreign differences. Heck, I live in America! :) Perhaps many of these negative posts are from Americans and they prefer the more American cruise brand experience? Which is not Costa. Just my two cents. I totally hear you that Costa is not cheap in price. While being owned by Carnival, complete with gaudy design on some vessels, perhaps that is where the similarity ends? I call it being Carnavalized, the Costa Favosa, which we are booked on, has been thoroughly Carnavalized in design terms. Happily and hopefully, not so much in other areas!

Thanks. I completely agree on both your points, e.g. price and preference. It really supports what I have been able to conclude until now.

In terms of price, I guess it really depends on your scope, of whether you see the price differences, that some have said there is. When I am going on vacation, I am not boud by any fixed time period, month or specific place. This means that when I compare prices, I dont care if the cruise is in Med W. or in the Caribbean, or what time of the year it is - I can just make that fit to the best deal I can find. When doing that, I can get on any cruise line for almost the same price - and Costa is not any cheaper than Disney, Royal C. or P&O when I have done some searches on price deals. Where I find that Costa have a real advantage is on the Extra AI Drinks Package - that seems to be very nice, but I have not tried it in real life yet - so I am really looking forward to see both the value of it, and also how you are serviced when you have it.

I have seen some people say that waiters try to directly avoid you when they find out that you have the package - that would be horrid and really cut down on a good experince. But why on earth would a liner introduce it if that was the effect on the customer? - I really dont want to feel like I am a cheap skate just because i choose to pay 500 euro up front to have the convinence of having drinks included during my stay. Its a good value, but its not free... 500 euro is 500 euro.

Regarding the Americans. Your rationale feels sound... I mean, why would you go on an Italian cruise, in Europe, with a multiplude of nationalities, if you get annoyed by multiple announcements in many languages? If you want to to be like home, maybe it would make sense to stay home. Also, the food thing is a really hard thing to get around in my oppinion, because I cannot see what people are basing their review claims on. I have seen really good reviews of food from Costa ships (and I am not including NeoR), and some really bad ones - but the bad ones seem to complain that the food is outright inedible - seriously?

Philip

To go back to the original post :)

CC accounts for a TINY proportion of people who actually cruise on any one line. As much as I like to use CC to research - and find a lot of useful information in regards to cabin info, size, facilities on board etc - it really is a case of "trying out a line for oneself" to discover the reality.

I think Costa offer a great value for money product. My cruise on Magica - wasnt the best - but - for the price we paid - hey - cant complain for sure.

I will probably try one of Costa's newer, bigger ships at some point, I still say NeoRomantica is a fantastic ship - and having cruised her twice within a year, (even had the same table waiter in mdr) - will cruise her again given the right dates etc.

As for the reviews - even smaller percentage of people cruising Costa, will post reviews on CC. (Given the small percentage of UK/US passengers.).

Go on a forum such as Liveboat (you need to google translate the page) and you will find raving fantastic reviews of Costa ships.

It is an Italian line - loved by Italians - enjoyed by vast numbers of Europeans. The reviews here on CC do misrepresent the actual experience..

Thats my tuppence worth ;)

Msc is another line I would like to try - heard from fellow Scots that it was fabulous ....

CT reminds me of Douglas Ward Berlitz Guide to Cruising (no disrespect intended). Lots of facts and yes, some invaluable information. I have had a look at some of y9our Youtubes CT, and they are VERY good indeed. Perhaps even at profesional level.

I guess we all have something positive to offer.

Be nice if we could all at times, just agree to disagree:)

Bon voyage all...

(even me on my "big backside Epic journey;))

To go back to the original post :)

CC accounts for a TINY proportion of people who actually cruise on any one line. As much as I like to use CC to research - and find a lot of useful information in regards to cabin info, size, facilities on board etc - it really is a case of "trying out a line for oneself" to discover the reality.

I think Costa offer a great value for money product. My cruise on Magica - wasnt the best - but - for the price we paid - hey - cant complain for sure.

I will probably try one of Costa's newer, bigger ships at some point, I still say NeoRomantica is a fantastic ship - and having cruised her twice within a year, (even had the same table waiter in mdr) - will cruise her again given the right dates etc.

As for the reviews - even smaller percentage of people cruising Costa, will post reviews on CC. (Given the small percentage of UK/US passengers.).

Go on a forum such as Liveboat (you need to google translate the page) and you will find raving fantastic reviews of Costa ships.

It is an Italian line - loved by Italians - enjoyed by vast numbers of Europeans. The reviews here on CC do misrepresent the actual experience..

Thats my tuppence worth ;)

Msc is another line I would like to try - heard from fellow Scots that it was fabulous ....

CT reminds me of Douglas Ward Berlitz Guide to Cruising (no disrespect intended). Lots of facts and yes, some invaluable information. I have had a look at some of y9our Youtubes CT, and they are VERY good indeed. Perhaps even at profesional level.

I guess we all have something positive to offer.

Be nice if we could all at times, just agree to disagree:)

Bon voyage all...

(even me on my "big backside Epic journey;))

You should try MSC. We read tons of horrible reviews, but after sailing with all other major lines we liked the experience. Sure line has its own negatives, but there are so many nice things. Beautiful ships with great atmosphere. If you like live music this is a Must. International crowd ads nice flavor.

How many passengers does that ship hold? It seems huge.

Agreed - it is a very parculiar ship design indeed. It will probably take some getting used to before you see its beauty!

The Costa Deliziosa which is going to be my first cruise in many years, seemed to fit well into my perception, although I also like the Royal C. ships - they seem very nice. I will probably go for one of those after my Costa trip this November.

Philip

4,100 double, at least 4,500 full.

Guys, leave NCL Epic alone.

NCL has built new flagships.

Delizosa/Luminosa are best designs in Costa fleet.

I am sorry if you perceived my response as a remark towards your person, that was not my intention. For that I appologise...

Philip

OK

Ofcourse I dont mind that I might not agree with your oppinion, but the issue is that you have not provided me with any answer to my question, that feels balanced, and thus voids any faith in your arguments.

What does it mean "feels balanced"?

I gave you print-screens from a famous travel agency website.

How should I "balance" it?

Shall I photoshop Costa prices? Why? What for?

Please note that the prices are not from me. They are from Costa.

I just cant use "Costa's food is so much under cruise line standard" that it is perceived as almost dog food, to make any conclusion. It's a null way to come across with an argument, and it leaves me left with the same observation I entered the thread with - that it does not sound balanced, and I would like to hear other peoples oppinion about it.

You are not listening.

Why dog food?

Haven't I explained what "food" on a cruise means and what is the initial approach to food assessment?

I have invited you to do comparison by yourself.

Problems?

OK.

I am putting it in a table for your convenience.

You wanted Princess? Here we go.

23gz040.jpg

Notes:

GT - Gross Tonnage

All passengers - all passengers regardless cabin categories

Free - free of charge

Room service fee on Costa can be included in some cabin categories

Restaurants like Samsara on Costa, Blu on Celebrity, Grills on Cunard - are not specialty restaurants.

Samsara restaurants on Costa CAN be classed as a "Speciality Restaurant" - it is open to all guests for a 25 euro surcharge same as "The Club"

Room service is free to all premium cabin guests, and those in suites. It is only the very basic "classic" cabins (where the initial cruise price reflects this) which does not offer free room service.

All of this aside - one thing you have not compared - is drinks costs.

Costa win hands down on any line for their all inclusive package. 19.5 euro per day - its awesome.

Princess (as yet) do not offer a spirits included drinks package. That can be a huge factor to some people (we for sure look at this now when choosing a cruiseline). Until Princess come up with an all inclusive drinks package, for sure its a "no go" for us. I love that we dont have any unexpected costs - You may not be one who likes a tipple, we for sure do, and Princess are running behind now on this one. A lot of the lines now are offering drinks packages (I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong) Princess to date, are only offering wine packages.

Although Costa has surcharges - for example cafetiere/chocolate bar - the initital cruise cost combined with their all inclusive drinks package - more than makes up for those very small extras.

Personally, I would rather pay for the odd hot chocolate or frothycoffee - than pick up a never ending bar tab on my last evening at sea..:p

Samsara restaurants on Costa CAN be classed as a "Speciality Restaurant" - it is open to all guests for a 25 euro surcharge same as "The Club"

What ships?

Strange to hear that.

If so, it would immediately have lost its status of exclusive dining room for Samsara clients.

What ships?

Strange to hear that.

If so, it would immediately have lost its status of exclusive dining room for Samsara clients.

in your opinion. most of costa's ships have the samsara spa and spa cabins/suites, now. i believe one can only 'buy their way in' for dinner service. breakfast and lunch are still for samsara grade cabins only.

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69

in your opinion. most of costa's ships have the samsara spa and spa cabins/suites, now. i believe one can only 'buy their way in' for dinner service. breakfast and lunch are still for samsara grade cabins only.

One can pay and have dinner only or you believe one can - mind the difference.

What ships?

Not sure about the rest of the fleet but am 100% sure we could pay to have dinner at the Samsara on NeoR. We had been booked one night, but had to cancel as I had been ill and opted to in-suite dine instead. It was 25 euro - same surcharge as the Club. Was it perhaps - "suite guests only" - not sure, will have a look at our dailies when I have a chance.

Actually - no - 100% sure it was for all guests - we met couple who were in a basic OV - and they dined Samsara - :confused:

So yes, must be open to all guests for a charge..

From Costa website - nothing to say that the restaurants are exclusive to samsara guests - just that they dont have to book:

What do the Samsara and Wellness cabins offer?

In addition to the comforts found in other cabins, the Samsara and Wellness suites and cabins offer a series of exclusive benefits, including a robe and slippers, organic cotton sheets, a special bathroom kit, purifying shower filter, low calorie products, special treatments, direct access to the Spa, plus lunches and dinners in the Samsara and Wellness Restaurants without any need to book during opening hours.

Samsara package (spa and dining room) can be purchased separately.

"Dinner only" is what you assume.

There is no confirmation for that so far.

At this point we are where we were: Samsara restaurant is a part of Samsara package, not a specialty restaurant for all passengers.

Edited by cruisetrail

Not sure about the rest of the fleet but am 100% sure we could pay to have dinner at the Samsara on NeoR. We had been booked one night, but had to cancel as I had been ill and opted to in-suite dine instead. It was 25 euro - same surcharge as the Club. Was it perhaps - "suite guests only" - not sure, will have a look at our dailies when I have a chance.

Actually - no - 100% sure it was for all guests - we met couple who were in a basic OV - and they dined Samsara - :confused:

So yes, must be open to all guests for a charge..

when i booked my last cruise on mediterranea, there were OV and even inside cabins offerred in the samsara grade. costa is not known for their consistency, though, so your mileage may vary.

how dare that couple in a regular OV presume to dine with their betters in the samsara restaurant. :mad: JOKING! :D

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69

Samsara package (spa and dining room) can be purchased separately.

"Dinner only" is what you assume.

There is no confirmation for that so far.

At this point we are where we were: Samsara restaurant is a part of Samsara package, not a specialty restaurant for all passengers.

Urm no.. Samsara restaurant IS a speciality restaurant available to ALL passengers (yes at a surcharge) - Period.