Mercury Aft Cabin noise question

sweetmelissa

We've been in 8259 and the vibrations were definitely noticeable, similar to an apartment I once stayed in that was next to a major train route. However, it wasn't as irritating to us as was the disco on the 7th floor. There were some convention type groups on that particular cruise that partied long and hard on that cruise; I know it's not always that way.

We've booked the same aft FO's for September but on deck 11. Closer to the food and further from the disco sounds perfect. As for the vibrations - well, we love those aft FO's.

We are in cabin 1152 for our Panama cruise next year. thought these aft cabins would be great for the canal...wonder how bad it is on the Penthouse deck? Would be great if you could post after you come back in September.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Hello,

I have read several posts regarding the noise in the aft cabins on Mercury. We booked an OV guarantee cabin for December and, much to my surprise, we have already been assigned a cabin (with 5 months to go). It is on Deck 4 (Continental) near the aft elevators.

My question is this: Is the noise that people spoke of mainly a problem in the cabins furthest aft? Or will we have a problem in cabin 4134, which is directly to the side of the aft elevators?

Thank you!

These posts are really old but I had to laugh when I read them. We sailed on Mercury around South America in 2001 and were astonished as we sailed up the Rio Platte out of Buenos Aires when we kept hearing these large scraping noises accompanied by severe virbration. We were at dinner sitting near the aft windows. The dishes jumped around on the tables. We asked one of the ship's officers about it and he said the river bottom is shallow and sandy, and literally we were repeatedly brushing the bottom, but that it was nothing to worry about. We're houseboaters and have a 24 foot runabout and are well acquainted with what happens when the props hit a sandy bottom, and that sure is what it felt like. Also a large sea of mud would appear behind us. We enjoyed it and are still amused. It actually does no harm to our boats if it's sand, just polishes up the props pretty good (as long as our intakes don't inhale any mud). :)

Archived