Olympia

teeoc79

Can anyone clarify just why Olympia is not accessible? Every picture I see shows flat land with hard dirt or firmly packed gravel paths. We did a tour in Mexico to some pyramids and the guide was able to push my wife's manual wheelchair on these types of paths fairly easily.

There is no elevator rather just a pathway leading up to Olympia. The pathway is composed of all gravel and can be unleveled at times which can be problematic for anyone with a mobility issue that requires the use of any type of mobility aid.

So the park is located atop a hill, mountain or knoll then?

"Olympia, Greece? I think it is a matter of getting to those places you see in the pictures."

Yes, sorry I was not more specific. We would like to go to Olympia on our Greek cruise, but everyone says it is not wheelchair accessable, a wheelchair travel agency gives details about touring Herculaneum and Pompeii, but nothing about Olympia, yet everything I see in photos indicate that it is flat and has hard packed dirt paths, which we have navigated before.

So the park is located atop a hill, mountain or knoll then?

This site sits at the base of Mt Kronos which is why I stated no elevator sorry for the confusion. However the part about the pathways being unleveled and all gravel is correct. You have to remember that this is an ancient archeological site so the conditions of the pathways can be very iffy. Photos can be very deceiving. Also you need to be concerned about doing damage to your wheelchair. You can certainly evaluate the situation once you're there but keep in mind if you have plan to use a transport chair instead of a standard wheelchair I wouldn't even chance it .

Archived