Tru Bahamian Food Tour was Great

Podie

If you'd like to spend three hours strolling, tasting, and learning all kinds of neat things about the Bahamas, I highly recommend this tour. Our guide, Alanna, was personable, local, and full of information. We were warmly welcomed in the restaurants, chocolate factory, and store and all the food was delicious. Now I know where to go the next time I'm in Nassau!

If you'd like to spend three hours strolling, tasting, and learning all kinds of neat things about the Bahamas, I highly recommend this tour. Our guide, Alanna, was personable, local, and full of information. We were warmly welcomed in the restaurants, chocolate factory, and store and all the food was delicious. Now I know where to go the next time I'm in Nassau!

How did you book this tour or was it available when you got to the port? How much was it? We are looking for something to do in Nassau besides going to the beach (probably Junkanoo) since we are there from 8 am until 5 pm. Thanks for any info.

That tour was fantastic! I booked right online. Just Google Tru Bahamian Food Tour. The cost was $69.00 per person but I used points from my Bank of America credit card so didn't have to pay for two tickets directly. I couldn't make the tour at 11:30 so Alana checked with her other guests and moved the tour to 12:00 to accommodate us. My teens enjoyed the tour as well. It was interesting and gives you a real taste of the Bahamas and a heavy dose of history and culture. The food was fantastic. I highly recommend her tour.

So glad to hear this! We've booked the tour for November. Is the meeting place far from the ships?

The meeting place is about a 10-minute walk from Festival Place (the port terminal building). Depending on where your ship docks, it could be a 20-minute walk from the ship.

The tour is excellent.

• 1 month later...

My spouse and I recently did this tour, and unfortunately we can't recommend it. When we booked it, it was advertised as 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM. This fit well with our ship's schedule, and at the start of the tour, we informed our guide (who was not Alanna) that we needed to be back on board at 3:30 PM. Two others in the tour were also on our ship. The guide assured us he would be very respectful of the time.

Things started out very well. We hit the first two (of seven) tasting locations very quickly, and the food at each was wonderful. But things deteriorated after that, as the guide had us standing around outside on a street while he talked, and talked, and talked about Bahamian history. He was very knowledgeable, but it was much too much talking and not enough sampling of local cuisine. We did not get to our next "tasting" - two pieces of chocolate - for a very long time. Then more standing around outside and more talking, talking, and talking.

By now, it was 2 PM and we hadn't even arrived at stop number four (of seven). We reminded the guide about the time, but it didn't matter. He continued his lengthy monologue. At 2:30 PM, we were in the middle of stop number 5, which wasn't even a tasting of food; it was a stop in a tea/coffee/spice gift shop where, among other things, they sold seasonings that you could "sample" and that we saw in other shops. At this point, it was clear that the guide was not going to finish the tour even remotely on time, and we had no desire to have to hurry back to our ship, particularly with three other ships in port and the dock area crowded. Also, regardless of the time, the talking was getting tiresome, and the food was far too little.

At 2:30 PM, the time allocated for the tour, we decided it was time for us to leave; the guide's excessive talking meant that we missed out on the last two tastings.

Perhaps Alanna does a much better tour, but based on what we experienced, we can't recommend this.