Please help - how to charge a US scooter battery while in the UK?

Seraphine

I have a big problem!

My dad is visiting me in the UK. He bought his scooter in Canada and brought new batteries with him. We're finding he can't charge them up because of the differences in voltage - my husband rigged up a converter but it's not working (something to do with 50 Hz versus 60 Hz?)

When people travel from the US to the UK, how do you manage charging your battery? We're flummoxed, and my dad is stuck!

(while this isn't exactly a cruise question, you folks gave me good advice in the past and I didn't know who else to turn to!)

I have a "dual voltage" charger. Can you get one of those at a medical supply company near you? I still need a compatible plug to be able to plug in. I carry the plug adaptors with me when traveling in Britain/Europe. The adaptors are different in different countries.

As per the above, most battery chargers nowadays are dual voltage/dual frequency. I just checked the charger for my electric wheels and that indeed is the case for me.

If your Dad has drawn the short straw and has a charger which only works on 110V then there are plenty of step-down transformers available and you can get one on next day delivery, with a US socket on it from Amazon, for example.

It won't be 60Hz though, but it is very uncommon for the frequency to be a show stopper. Look on th side of the charger and there should be a rating plate which tells you what voltage range. If it also says 60Hz only then you might be banjaxed, otherwise it might be worth taking a chance on 50Hz and seeing if it will still charge.

If the charger can actually handle UK 220V then all you need is a UK to US socket converter, which will cost a couple of pounds, but it sounds like your hubby has tried this.

I hope this helps.

I called a UK supplier for the scooter brand my Dad uses. They helped me source a 2-amp charger. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today, and after we plugged it in it hasn't made any weird noises or emitted any smoke - a bonus!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Archived