Valor Southern Caribbean review with pictures and Fun Times - better late than never

pghsteelerfan

I just spent my evening reading your review from first page to last . Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics and all the tips for the trip. Im hoping to book this cruise for 2015 on the liberty this week. After reading your review i know now that this is the one we want to celebrate my 60th birthday.. We have been on 5 cruises and i love each one of them in a different way but beaches are my favorite. I think we will leave a day early so we can enjoy san juan and also just in case there would be a flight problem. Thanks for all the time you took in preparing this for others like me! It really helped me decide tonite on the trip.. now if youre like us youre already planning the next one! ps we did europe for our 40 anniversary and it was one of the best! Grand cayman is second with swimming with the stingrays! great trips all of them...

Try "Emerald Bay Beach St Thomas" in Google. It should give you the Emerald Beach Resort, Lindburg (or Lindberg?) Bay. It's much closer to the port than Secret Harbor, which increases the beach time and decreases the traffic time. :)

The "resort" is a Best Western property. I think "resort" is kind of a stretch for a name, but the beach was clean and quiet, there were chairs/umbrellas for rent at reasonable rates, and there was a restaurant for food/drink and clean bathrooms. Met our needs perfectly - two adults, 3 teen age girls. None of us wanted water toys or anything, so we didn't need more than that.

I would definitely check the Port of Call board, or even call the Best Western to make sure they are still allowing non-hotel guests on the beach, but I think they have to by law. And cabs were plentiful, just like with the other resorts.

PS - Just looked again at Google - I have no idea why the map seems to show it so far from the shoreline, because it most definitely was right on the beach.

Edited by Rochmom
Content

So here are a few pics from Emerald Bay Beach. Not the greatest photos I've ever taken, but they show you the restaurant/facilities, and give you an idea of the size of the crowd. The views are not "breathtaking", but they are pleasant - if you're looking for a "postcard quality" view, this isn't it, but if you want to be away from crowds and relax on the beach, this has you covered!

101_0148.jpg.79a49605e24088c685dbaa81e45d12ec.jpg

101_0149.jpg.79b41997141782a49ec7b39b5897b963.jpg

Can you tell that's the first time I ever posted photos here? Sorry about the thumbnail size, but hopefully you get the idea. Would stay here and try to fix, but I'm afraid I must answer the call of the laundry machines....:eek:

I just spent my evening reading your review from first page to last . Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics and all the tips for the trip. Im hoping to book this cruise for 2015 on the liberty this week. After reading your review i know now that this is the one we want to celebrate my 60th birthday.. We have been on 5 cruises and i love each one of them in a different way but beaches are my favorite. I think we will leave a day early so we can enjoy san juan and also just in case there would be a flight problem. Thanks for all the time you took in preparing this for others like me! It really helped me decide tonite on the trip.. now if youre like us youre already planning the next one! ps we did europe for our 40 anniversary and it was one of the best! Grand cayman is second with swimming with the stingrays! great trips all of them...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I hope you do book this cruise on Liberty in 2015. We were on Liberty this past April for a Western Caribbean cruise and she is a beautiful ship and wins our "best in decor" contest. :D We did a similar cruise out of San Juan on our honeymoon on Carnival's Festivale (no longer with Carnival) but over the years I'd forgotten how scenic this itinerary is. I just happened upon one of Dirkgun's Victory reviews (the January 2010 I believe) and was in awe of the scenery in the pictures posted so that's where the next cruise was booked. We also love beaches and I always have and never get tired of them. We flew into San Juan a day early, just in case, and got in around noon and were on the beach at our hotel by 1:30 that afternoon and just enjoyed the beach. It was beautiful the next morning, especially the color of the water, and I hated to leave but we did have a ship waiting for us. I also love all of our cruises but this one won, hands down, for scenery. We did Stingray City in Grand Cayman in March 2006 and loved it. We missed Grand Cayman on our Liberty cruise this past April do to strong winds and high swells. Hopefully next time. Yes, I'm "planning" our next one but it may be a while before we book one. DH had been out of work for a year, he worked for a government funded company and they had to cut employees due to government sequestration. We live modestly and don't spend a lot...and after a long cold winter and "frozen brains", we booked the Liberty cruise but did get a good deal since it was only a month in advance. Our thought was that we didn't know when/where he'd be working and when he'd be able to take vacation again, so we "went for it". No regrets. He got another job in July but it will be a while now before he can take vacation. Part of the fun is planning them though. :D Thank you again and I hope you book it and enjoy it as much as we did. That will be a wonderful 60th birthday. :)

Try "Emerald Bay Beach St Thomas" in Google. It should give you the Emerald Beach Resort, Lindburg (or Lindberg?) Bay. It's much closer to the port than Secret Harbor, which increases the beach time and decreases the traffic time. :)

The "resort" is a Best Western property. I think "resort" is kind of a stretch for a name, but the beach was clean and quiet, there were chairs/umbrellas for rent at reasonable rates, and there was a restaurant for food/drink and clean bathrooms. Met our needs perfectly - two adults, 3 teen age girls. None of us wanted water toys or anything, so we didn't need more than that.

I would definitely check the Port of Call board, or even call the Best Western to make sure they are still allowing non-hotel guests on the beach, but I think they have to by law. And cabs were plentiful, just like with the other resorts.

PS - Just looked again at Google - I have no idea why the map seems to show it so far from the shoreline, because it most definitely was right on the beach.

Thanks! I was wondering if that's where it was when I looked at the map. I did see where the resort was and you're right, they are showing it away from the beach. I have definitely seen Emerald Bay Beach (sometimes just Emerald Beach) mentioned before in the Port of Call section and remembered that it was close but just didn't know where. We also do not need nor are interested in water toys, so that wouldn't be a deterrent for us, We have our own snorkel gear which we'd probably bring along.

So here are a few pics from Emerald Bay Beach. Not the greatest photos I've ever taken, but they show you the restaurant/facilities, and give you an idea of the size of the crowd. The views are not "breathtaking", but they are pleasant - if you're looking for a "postcard quality" view, this isn't it, but if you want to be away from crowds and relax on the beach, this has you covered!

Can you tell that's the first time I ever posted photos here? Sorry about the thumbnail size, but hopefully you get the idea. Would stay here and try to fix, but I'm afraid I must answer the call of the laundry machines....:eek:

Thank you for the pictures. It could definitely be an option for something different, especially since my main "goal" for our next trip to St. Thomas is the Skyride/Paradise Point and hope it's not closed again for some reason. Going to Emerald Beach would probably allow for us to do the Skyride/Paradise Point first. From other pictures I've seen, I like the views from up there in the morning better AND I'm guessing it may be less crowded first thing, which would also be a plus. Beach time then could be after Paradise Point and with it being much closer (and I love the "less crowded" part), would definitely be an option for more beach time. They do show up as thumbnails but if you click on the actual picture you get a larger version and I like the looks of it from your pictures. Thanks again for taking the time to answer and post the pictures.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 5 weeks later...

Hey pghsteelerfan we're doing it again! We booked the Liberty (since they are switching) for Sept. 20th, 2015. Maybe you guys could join us?! :) I love the fact that the Liberty is the same boat as the Valor... We were able to get our same balcony room on the Panorama deck. I can't wait to try out the 2.0 upgrades!

Hey pghsteelerfan we're doing it again! We booked the Liberty (since they are switching) for Sept. 20th, 2015. Maybe you guys could join us?! :) I love the fact that the Liberty is the same boat as the Valor... We were able to get our same balcony room on the Panorama deck. I can't wait to try out the 2.0 upgrades!

Hey there!!! No way!!!! That is great and so happy for you guys. Our favorite thing about the 2.0 upgrades was Guys Burgers. We never did get a chance to try Blue Iguana but that's a must for us next time, especially the breakfast burritos. The only thing we weren't really crazy about were the Red Frog Rum Bar & Blue Iguana Tequila Bar locations. At the main Lido pool, mid-ship, they moved the bars from where they were (near the stairs leading to Panorama Deck 10) to the center area on either side of the pool. There is room to sit at the bars and an extra row of bar stools/covered table but it takes away several of the tables and chairs along the windows in addition to lounger space. We noticed it created a lot of crowd congestion in those immediate areas, but with this itinerary it may not be as noticeable except maybe on the Sea Day.

Us joining you...just brought it up to DH and this may be possible. :) Sending you a private email. Just let me know if you don't have it. All I can say is if we can swing this, it will be great!!! This is one itinerary I won't get tired of.

• 4 weeks later...
great review thanks! Just wondering, you said that you didn't bring formal wear because of the checked baggage fee and overweight cost...were you referring to airline baggage fees or are these Carnival fees?

Airline fees. I don't think Carnival has any baggage fees. By the time we were ready to fly home, we had exactly 50 pounds in both of our free checked bags. All the souvenirs, conch shells, bottles of alcohol, etc, all add up quickly. :)

great review thanks! Just wondering, you said that you didn't bring formal wear because of the checked baggage fee and overweight cost...were you referring to airline baggage fees or are these Carnival fees?

Thank you and hope it was helpful to you. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with the answer about baggage fees. We just got home from or Thanksgiving travels. JKirkN answered already. No baggage fees with Carnival. We flew United Airlines and the fees were $25.00 per checked bag and $100 additional for any check-in that was over 50 pounds. We flew United Airlines, so the overweight baggage fee may be different . Other airlines may be different with the over 50 pound fee (fine) but I don't know what they are, but they should have those amounts on their websites. I noticed that you're in Canada. We flew Delta one year to the Bahamas and there was no fee to check in a suitcase since our flight originated in the US and went to another country (Bahamas). I believe it would also be free to check in if you have a flight originating in Canada that went do a different country (USA and Puerto Rico is a US Territory). I don't know if that is for ALL check in or just one per person. I'd go ahead and look at the websites for that information too. I don't know if that's just Delta or if other airlines to that as well.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Airline fees. I don't think Carnival has any baggage fees. By the time we were ready to fly home, we had exactly 50 pounds in both of our free checked bags. All the souvenirs, conch shells, bottles of alcohol, etc, all add up quickly. :)

Hey there! :) Thanks so much for helping out here. Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. We lucked out and didn't get as much snow as we thought but did travel through areas of West Virginia that had over a foot. I need a cruise!!! I'm still trying for Liberty out of San Juan next September. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was enjoying your review of your visit to the Shipwreck Restaurant on St. Kitts. Then I could not find it again. I was hoping you could answer a question for me about it. I am physically disabled. I saw a picture somewhere of the restroom there, and it did have ramp at the entrance. Do you think it is usable for a person like me? I mean is the stall wide? are there any bars or anything to hold on to? I know this might seem a little weird, but I have an upcoming cruise and because of my disability, have to check things out. I also sent you a friend request; I simply wanted to ask the question. Thank you.

I was enjoying your review of your visit to the Shipwreck Restaurant on St. Kitts. Then I could not find it again. I was hoping you could answer a question for me about it. I am physically disabled. I saw a picture somewhere of the restroom there, and it did have ramp at the entrance. Do you think it is usable for a person like me? I mean is the stall wide? are there any bars or anything to hold on to? I know this might seem a little weird, but I have an upcoming cruise and because of my disability, have to check things out. I also sent you a friend request; I simply wanted to ask the question. Thank you.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to attach that link to the review that I did that included Shipwreck in St. Kitts. I think I know where the confusion is...we did this itinerary twice and both times were fairly recent. The first time was on Valor in May 2013 and we did not go to Shipwreck the day we were in St. Kitts and went Cockleshell Beach that time instead. We love the itinerary so much that we did it again on Liberty in September 2015 and chose Shipwreck because I'd seen pictures and fell in love with it.

Now for the restrooms...you know, for the life of me I could not remember details although I did use them. :p They aren't located inside the restaurant/bar but are just across the parking lot, which is sand. It is flat and the sand isn't deep. I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

We met some others who we are still in touch with on our Liberty cruise who had been to Shipwreck twice, so I just sent them a private message to a certain social networking site that we're not supposed to mention to see if they could remember. They could not remember details (wide stalls/hand rails) about the insides but sent a picture (attached) and said I could use it to answer you. Definitely a ramp, so accessible. In the picture, you can see some of the stalls just inside. From this picture, it appears that the stalls are fairly wide compared to some other restrooms. I'm sure a lot of people use them to change into and out of swimsuits if they go into the water or not, so the logical thing for a place like Shipwreck would be to make stalls wide enough that folks can comfortably move around to change.

There is one thing I thought I should point out. The Shipwreck restaurant/bar is located above the beach, so the only way to get down to the beach is by the stairs that they have from the restaurant down to the beach. But if you're just wanting a nice, beach bar/restaurant with beautiful views, Shipwreck is your place.

I'm going to post your question on the St. Kitts section in the Port of Call threads. One of the regular posters has mentioned that they go to St. Kitts for land vacations and Shipwreck appears to be one of their favorite/"go to" spots. Surely they would know.

I'd love to accept the friend request, but I can't see it for some reason. I do know the format has recently changed, so it could be due to a glitch. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do the best I can to help.

Here's the picture of the restroom facilities at Shipwreck that our friends let me borrow. The credit goes to CC member Valentinebaby1 (she also did two great reviews of both Valor and Liberty, and they went to Shipwreck both visits.

2013_10.jpg

Also attaching the link in my Liberty review. It should open up to Page 27, where the section on Shipwreck starts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&page=27

I'm hoping to get a definite answer for you and will get back to you by commenting on this post. :)

Here's another shot of the area leading up to the restrooms... it's pretty sandy...fairly firm sand, but not hard.

27f5cb00c6.jpg