Definition of "Cruising Solo"

BluesCruise

The hard part is, how to gain acceptance at work. I don't know how to explain going solo so I'm temped to fudge the truth.

What do you say to your friends and colleagues to gain acceptance? Or do you care, or do you just keep it a secret?

I don't much care what they think at work about my vacation plans. As for my friends, they already "accept" it - they are happy to see me happy, so there's no problem. Some people don't understand how I could like solo travel, but I don't mind their lack of understanding......I imagine it's no different than how I don't understand how some people can like golf; it's a good thing that we all don't like the same things in life. I don't prefer traveling solo to traveling with friends or family, but I prefer it to staying at home - explaining it that way (which is the truth) helps a lot of people understand it better.

I don't much care what they think at work about my vacation plans. As for my friends, they already "accept" it - they are happy to see me happy, so there's no problem. Some people don't understand how I could like solo travel, but I don't mind their lack of understanding......I imagine it's no different than how I don't understand how some people can like golf; it's a good thing that we all don't like the same things in life. I don't prefer traveling solo to traveling with friends or family, but I prefer it to staying at home - explaining it that way (which is the truth) helps a lot of people understand it better.

I totally agree with this! I wonder sometimes if people at work imagine that I spend my cruises being a totally different person than the quiet introvert they see--maybe drunk and dancing on tables every night, or having wild flings with various men on board...of course I don't, but it amuses me to imagine that they might think I DO! :)

Cruising Solo means its just you and only you on that sailing.

This past march I was with my Brother & his BF. Two different cabins, did most all day activities on my own, but I don't consider it a "SOLO cruise."

Precisely. Up until now I've always cruised solo, and my next trip is also a solo trip. Some friends have suggested that they might come along on a shorter cruise with me some time (but I'd still have a cabin of my own), and if they do I wouldn't consider it a solo trip. They've been warned in advance that I'm not to find them standing outside my door at 8am asking what the plans for the day are though - if we do go the rule will be that we'll dine together every evening, and if we run into each other during the day, then great. But we do not need to spend the entire day joined at the hips.

I wonder sometimes if people at work imagine that I spend my cruises being a totally different person than the quiet introvert they see--maybe drunk and dancing on tables every night, or having wild flings with various men on board...of course I don't, but it amuses me to imagine that they might think I DO! :)

Some of my friends and colleagues do think that. Some are more subtle than others, but one in particular always wants to know if I've hooked up with anyone the second I get back :) If she sees any men in a photo (even if they're 3 miles away in the background) she starts asking who they are!

Archived