How much time pre and post cruise to Hong Kong and Singapore ong ??

Gail & Marty sailing away

Cruise Forum responses

I live in NYC, but I have also actually lived in both Hong Kong and in Singapore, and know them both very, very well and travel back to both often. Actually, I am writing this from Hong Kong right now, as my fiancée and I are here on one of our infamous foodie trips. It's actually a quick pre-wedding trip, as we're getting married back in NYC in November. We come to Hong Kong about 5–6 times year, and SG, probably about 2–3 times a year.

While I definitely wouldn't agree with poster kuldalai's statement that HK is the world's most exciting city. (no where close), it's certainly interesting and a must do for anyone who considers themselves a serious traveler.

Hotel options HK

There are so many places to stay in HK, that it"s not even funny. You can spend a fortune if you want to, or you can stay in some places that are really inexpensive, and a million places in between.

When we are here we almost always stay on the HK side, although once we did stay at the Ethan Hotel in Kowloon during a Chinese New Year, and I have to say it was fabulous. We've also stayed at The Marco Polo, and the fabulous Peninsula in TST. If you stay on the Kowloon side, make sure that you base yourself on Nathan Rd. or someplace that runs immediately off of it. Avoid, avoid like the plague, Chung King Mansion on Nathan in TST. That place is scary.

On the Hong Kong side we have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Central several times, and we both love it. Also the Ramada, which is right across the street. We have also stayed at the Island Pacific, which is a few blocks down, and enjoyed that also. We stayed at the Marriott Airport Hotel a few times, but only one night on each occasion. That's a nice hotel, I have to say. On our last trip to Hong Kong, about two months ago we stayed at the Cosmo Hotel in Wan Chai and didn't really like it that much. They nickel and dime you for everything. We have also stayed at the Regal in Wan Chai on another occasion. The rooms are super modern, but we didn't care for the layout at all.

Right now we're staying at the Charterhouse hotel, in Wan Chai, and we absolutely love it. Their breakfast buffet is out of control. We stay in this area quite often because this is where I used to live, and I know this area like the back of my hand. Certainly however, there are great place to stay in Causeway Bay, Central, and Western

Hotels in SG

I will say this right off the bat, that most people who have either lived or have spent a lot of time in Singapore, will probably not agree with me. But, when we go to Singapore I love to stay in Little India. Trust me when I tell you this is a love or hate kind of situation. Most people find it far too chaotic, far too unruly, and with too many "things" that assaults ones senses. Most people prefer to stay on Orchard Rd where most of shopping takes place. Personally I love Little India instead. Little India is the only place in Singapore that has real personality and a real soul. Plus, it has some of the best food in the area. Whenever I return to Singapore I/we stay in basic accommodations. I'm just not going to spend a lot of money for hotels in Singapore. Whenever we're there we typically stay at Hotel 81, on Dickson. It's very clean, great location, and very cheap, as in about 80 USD or so. We have stayed at another really nice hotel in that area, but for the life of me, I just can't recall the name of it at this moment, and neither can my fiancée, who rarely forgets anything.

Other things like food, things to do and see in both HK and Singapore can wait until another submission. I know and enjoy both locations quite a bit, so basically any specific questions that you have, I'm pretty sure I can answer them. We are here for another couple days before returning back home to New York City and completing the final touches for our November wedding, so feel free to ask me any question, no matter how specific. Just ask.

Agree with the others.

Hong Kong two full days absolute minimum (& allow for jetlag), a real mish-mash of China meets the West, old meets new.

Add another day if you want to take a day-tour to mainland China - can be done as a pre-booked tour from HK for about $140 with Viator or Grayline or others on a group visa, so no expensive personal visa needed but needs minimum 24 hrs notice for the group visa.

Other than that, no need for tours or ho-hos, HK is very cheap & easy to explore by ferry, tram, bus, mass transit railway (MTR), all very frequent & fun.

Most signage in HK is in English as well as Chinese & folk involved with tourism (not all taxi drivers) and other business-type folk speak English.

The Salisbury Hotel on the tip of the Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) peninsula is ideally located close to the cross-harbour ferry terminal & Nathan Road. Also within a few hundred yards of the cruise terminal, though you may be berthed in the container-ship berths or the new Kai Tak cruise terminal, both a short cab ride away. Excellent value, or the harbour-view rooms are well worth the premium. But the Salisbury books-out early, so don't delay.

Singapore. just MHO but I find the place clinical & antiseptic. All just a bit too neat & tidy.

Others will doubtless disagree with me.;)

JB :)

I would stay four nights in Hong Kong because the first day you arrive you will be tired. In Singapore stay three to four nights.

Singapore Visit:

Downtown area.

Zoo

Orchid Garden

Little India

Chinatown

The Shopping District. Also Marina Mall

Hong Kong:

Take The Ferry

Spend A day just walling around. Visit the various markets

In Hong Kong I also recommend the Marco Polo

In Singapore I would do a lot of reading because the prices will vary quite a bit. Check out trip advisor.

Keith

Archived