Great Alaskan Holidays rv question

JosieRhodes

So I told my husband would post the question here :) as we are curious about whether anyone who booked a rv pre or post cruise paid the extra $50 in order to take advantage of a lower daily rate if the rate went down between time book and time pick up RV. And, then whether the rate did actually go down. Husband doubts rate will go lower, but was curious if anyone got a better deal by using the "low rate guarantee" option. Thanks.

you might want to pose your question to the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Lots of folks on that forum have used GAH so someone might be able to answer your question.

I used GAH a couple of years ago. Great motorhome, great company to deal with. I made my reservation at the end of Dec when it seemed like a good rate. Then I never looked back ... I wouldn't want to know that I COULD have saved $100 or whatever. I was happy with the price and that was the end of it.

ABC Motorhome is another company I looked at. Their prices were a little less, but the small camper was too small. ie the sofa bed was too short for any of us to sleep on.

BTW, it was a great trip. I really loved the flexibility a motorhome provided. When the weather was nasty in Valdez we were free to move out a day early and when it was great in Fairbanks we could stay an extra day. We weren't tied to hotel reservations; just free to wander. Alaska lends itself well to motorhome touring. (and it was certainly more comfortable than my previous tenting trips).

Thanks for the reply and info. Yeah, I WISH I would not check on rates after I book things, but sometimes can't help myself:o. I will have to check on trip advisor too. A bit of a "trains, planes, RV, autos, cruise ship" type of vacation as going to fly to Anchorage, do some RVing, and then take train to Seward, spend a couple days there pre-cruise.

Thanks again,

Karen

I've rented my RV's in the shoulder season, and the rates did not go any lower. Another company I have used, had a big discount with a prepay option, which I greatly benefited from.

The added issue of concern is the insurance details. My auto policy did NOT cover any RV, some contracts have some deductibles, so be sure to compare the total rates.

Add to the mix, plan on an average of 8mpg with the gas. :)

Yes, thanks for the advice... Yep, when I crunched the numbers, including everything, I think the RV will be a bit more expensive, but we seem to want to still give it a go. Think because we were able to get both the airfare and other hotel nights covered by award miles/ hotel points, that going to do it anyway. heck, the kids have picked out their sleeping areas already on rv diagram. My parents are traveling with us and I explained that they could, with a little pre planning, pretty much do what we do and stay at B&Bs etc for less with a car, as found several near the various campgrounds that are around stuff we want to see but they say they are going to get an RV too so we will have a caravan of two:)

Yes, thanks for the advice... Yep, when I crunched the numbers, including everything, I think the RV will be a bit more expensive, but we seem to want to still give it a go. Think because we were able to get both the airfare and other hotel nights covered by award miles/ hotel points, that going to do it anyway. heck, the kids have picked out their sleeping areas already on rv diagram. My parents are traveling with us and I explained that they could, with a little pre planning, pretty much do what we do and stay at B&Bs etc for less with a car, as found several near the various campgrounds that are around stuff we want to see but they say they are going to get an RV too so we will have a caravan of two:)

Never expect "savings" with a RV rental. What you get is the superior ad lib option. However, with some activities you do need advance reservations, plus it isn't hard to figure out where you want to be, to have a more planned location itinerary planned. I travel based on activities I have to do, so it is simple for me, to make my plans of where I'm going to be. Alternatively, many people don't care, and planning as they go, also a great option. Determine, how you wish to travel. :)

Archived