All Terrain Xrails to Jade Caverns

Redgrove

Thinking about booking this one -- we are on the Grandeur sailing from Baltimore on Nov 16th. Does anyone know how far from port? The description doesn't offer much information about the starting point for the tour. It leaves at 8:30 AM and is 3 hrs 45 min - but doesn't indicate if that includes travel time (or mode) to the site? Anyone know?

We will be doing this tour in March, but do know that the meeting spot is Margaritaville. We will be docking at the International pier, so we will take a short taxi ride to town. From there you take a short van ride to the location. (We booked directly through them, but if you book through the cruiseline I'd guess they will get you to the starting point)

From what I've read, they do offer to rent you some equipment, but we are bringing our own - closed toe water shoes, sealed goggles (keeps the dust and dirt out of your eyes) and a bandana to cover our nose and mouth. They say you WILL get very dirty, so we plan to bring old clothes and just throw everything away at the end. I went to WalMart and bought stuff on sale. Now is a good time since they are doing clearance on all their summer stuff.

I am pretty sure you spend almost an hour to the cave and an hour back, so you get a good amount of time on the buggies. Just be aware that they do not have power steering, so they are hard to drive.

We've not been on the tour so I don't know too much. You might go to TripAdvisor and look up some reviews (where I got most of my information :D)

Edited by CaroleSS

• 3 weeks later...

my wife and I did the xrails 2 years ago and it was the best excursion that we have ever done on a cruise. Definitely wear clothes that you can throw away there, you will get dirty. Bring a change of clothes (they have lockers there).

For the record, my wife is a "girly-girl" and she enjoyed it, even though she got really dirty.

If I recall correctly, it was a relatively short van ride, probably less than 30 minutes to their facility.

• 1 month later...

Big ones. Free to use I believe, or maybe a couple of dollars. They recommend you take NOTHING on the tour as it will get wet/muddy/dirty. But I have a waterproof camera I took & got some great pics & therefore didn't have to buy their $80 package of pictures the guides took on our tour.

Although they DID take some great action shots & videos & made sure to get everyone in several shots.

image.jpg.772c0fc7e0e82d3ba8707c87d1b5cb75.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing this tour in March I think. The reviews have me worried about everything breaking all the time. Can someone advise what you need? Do they provide helmet and goggles or you have to pay for them? Can you do it without gloves? Is it 30 dollars per person if you rent the gear?

It has been a couple years since I did it, but I believe they provide the goggles and helmets. Bring your own bandana, or some cash to buy one there, to keep the dust out of your mouth/nose. I don't think that I used gloves, but I really can't remember.

As with anything mechanical, stuff probably occasionally breaks, especially when it is gettting covered with mud. I don't recall any of the buggies breaking when we did it, but I think the guides brought an extra buggie along just in case.

We are returning to Cozumel in May and are seriously considering doing it again. It was that much fun.

We are doing this in March and did the following....

- I bought us each a bandanna for us to wear on our heads

- I got two of those disposable mouth/nose covers from my dentist

- We have old water shoes that we will wear

- We will use their goggles and helmets

- I got us cheap shirts/shorts at WalMart at the end of the season - we will wear them and throw away after the excursion

- We will wear bathing suits under the shorts/shirts

- We will bring along a change of clothes to change into at the end of the tour

I haven't read about the package, but knew that they had items for sale/rent. Do you have to buy the package (since I've already got everything we'll need)??

We are doing this in March and did the following....

- I bought us each a bandanna for us to wear on our heads

- I got two of those disposable mouth/nose covers from my dentist

- We have old water shoes that we will wear

- We will use their goggles and helmets

- I got us cheap shirts/shorts at WalMart at the end of the season - we will wear them and throw away after the excursion

- We will wear bathing suits under the shorts/shirts

- We will bring along a change of clothes to change into at the end of the tour

I haven't read about the package, but knew that they had items for sale/rent. Do you have to buy the package (since I've already got everything we'll need)??

I'm not sure,I reada review that you needed gloves too and 30 dollars for the gear. Don't know if they just rent certain things. I can get bandana or mask for cheap. I assume but who knows that helmet is included buti believe the goggles out glasses you have to supply.

From a website that sells this tour.....

Cozumel XRAIL Off Road Jungle Buggy to Jade Caverns Includes

Round trip transportation from our meeting point to the Xrail camp

Helmets (mandatory)

Safety goggles

Bottled water

Margarita after the excursion

Answer to my email

Hi Rob,

Sorry I found your email today but in my spam folder. The tour is $160us per buggy each buggy seats 2 people. The other stuff that is needed for the tour sometimes are things like a bandana, gloves and maybe bug spray. They also have lockers and goggles at the tour site as well besides what I already mentioned. Bandanas at the tour site are $2us. Gloves at $5us to rent and bug spray is like $7us. The locker is $2us to rent. If you bring your own bug spray and bandanas then you might want the locker and some gloves. I know that they have a package that includes everything and some snacks at the end of the tour and that whole package is like $35us. The goggles are not rented and are available to everyone you just need to leave a deposit and when you turn them in you get your deposit back. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Thanks

I brought bandanas from home & bug spray. We rented goggles for my son; I had sunglasses that worked just fine. He rented gloves since he was driving; I didn't. You will need the swim suits under your clothes if you intend to swim in the cenote. I think the goggles were $2 to rent. The lockers are free.

I WAS glad I had a waterproof camera to take. DO NOT take your cell phone or good camera unless you have a waterproof case to put it in. Think ahead as to what you'll do with a pile of muddy, wet, stinky clothes on the ship. Either plan to pay for (or do) laundry or opt to wear "throw-away" clothing. Plastic croc-like shoes are good to use & rinse off fairly well plus fitting the requirement of closed-toe shoes.

The tour itself is about an hour out and an hour back, so you get a LOT of trail time.

We did this tour a couple of years ago and it was awesome. I would say if possible get the very last car . We had a guide in the front and one in the back but he stayed pretty far behind us. With being in the back we could slow down a little from the front car and then floor it through the mud puddles and such. Way more fun than going the same speed as everyone else and not getting the thrill of going balls out. Our clothes got extremely dirty since we were there for offroading and thats what we did. We just pitched them and switched into ones we brought with us. We didn't buy the pictures but 1 lady did only after walking away the first time then they dropped the price by 1/2. It was awesome but extremely bumpy/ rough but we would do it again in a heartbeat.