Can I get a VAT refund after flying home?

dlhoward

Hello, I made several purchases where they charged me a VAT tax. When I got to the airport in Rome I followed signs to the VAT refund desk. They told me I had to fill out a form. I asked where do I get the form and she said from the Customs desk. Well, that was all the way back at the beginning of the airport. I went through with several bags in my hand but they didn't say anything abt a form and I didn't know either since I've never done this. It was too late for me to go all the way back as our shuttle driver dropped us off at the wrong terminal and we had to wait for a shuttle to get us to the right one. I was wondering if there is a way for me to get the refund now that I am home?

The UK Customs website states that to obtain a VAT refund on goods bought in the UK, you must show the goods, receipts and a completed VAT refund form to the Customs when you leave the European Union. As this is an EU-wide scheme, I assume that the same regulations apply wherever in the EU you purchase goods or apply for a refund. In other words, once you've left the EU it's too late.

Yep, too late. If you were in Rome the last few days there is (it was there in April) an office near the ATM in Piazza Navona. We went to a different office away from the tourist zone. The VAT location I have seen in FCO is a yellow manned kiosk.

When we have purchased VAT refund eligible products the store filled out the form for us. We had to buy over a certain Euro amount in order for us to be eligible for it.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/vat.htm

The Roman shuttle/taxi drivers are very good at letting pax off at the wrong terminal. They seem to really dislike driving out to Terminal 5.

Archived