ho chi minh City

markuuk

Hello, we are going to Ho chi minh City in October on Diamond Princess,

we will be doing our own thing when we get there after using the ships Transport,

just wanted to know how easy is it to get around to the market area and the Dong Khoi Street, we get dropped off by the REX hotel/Tax Trade Center,

looking on a map its not that far from there to the market or the reunification hall,postoffice and notra dame, but a map is differnt to actually walking,

so if any one has been there done it be good to hear

many thanks

Mark

Yes, all very handy. Ben Thanh market, Ho Chi Minh museum, War Remnants Museum, Notre Dame/Post Office, Re-unification Hall, Golden Dragon water puppets etc all within a 20 min walk from Rex Hotel.

But crossing the street is an art-form. ;)

Ask the rep on the bus about crossing a street which is a constant stream of little motorbikes. Watch how others do it, then join the downstream end of a group which is planning to cross.

Not too difficult, over 90% of tourists survive :D

And get the rep on the bus to write down Rex Hotel in Vietnamese in case you get lost or need to get back there by taxi (both of which are unlikely)

Don't trust the cyclo-rickshaws - if they don't quote a fixed price, walk away.

Great city to explore, & not difficult to find your way around on foot.

JB :)

exellent thanks for that John

i have herd that its an art to cross the road, but thats the fun off it all,

the puppet show any ideas on times that its on?

sounds a intresting city to explore i take it there the best places to go to in the few hrs we have,

thanks

sounds a intresting city to explore i take it there the best places to go to in the few hrs we have,

thanks

According to their website, 5pm, 6.30pm, 7.45pm.

http://www.goldendragonwaterpuppet.com/HowIs.asp

If your ship is overniting, consider a city hotel - inexpensive, avoids duplicated travelling, gives you an evening in Saigon (all except officials still call it Saigon).

Cu Chi tunnels something over an hour north of Saigon, or Bihn Quoi "village" (a kinda tourist park, very attractive) on the NE city outskirts on a bend in the river, are well worth visiting if you have the time, but the city centre is worth a full day. Will be one of the highlights of your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

See that you are going to Ho Chi Min City in October.. we will be there in December...

As I it will be fresh in your mind, any tips and recommendations that you have would be great....

How are you getting from Phu My to HCMC?

We also want to go to the Cu Chi tunnels... any info if you do that would be great..

Enjoy your cruise!

thanks

We attended the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theatre when in Saigon recently. 45 minute show...very colourful and easily understood even though the narration is in Vietnamese. Shows can sell out. The overnight that we were there, the 6:30 had already sold out when we asked the hotel concierge to call and there was no later show that evening so we went to the 5 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

So is it really a 2 hour drive from the port to downtown Saigon?

Any suggestions on how to get there? Best for a car and driver in advance or should we just book with the ship?

We are on Silversea in March 2014. Curious as to whether or not they provide transportation.

So is it really a 2 hour drive from the port to downtown Saigon?

Any suggestions on how to get there? Best for a car and driver in advance or should we just book with the ship?

We are on Silversea in March 2014. Curious as to whether or not they provide transportation.

You need to be sure of what port you will be at and then cost out ship transfer or private transfer. As Silverseas is a smaller ship, you may be at a port closer to Saigon than Phu My is. From Phu My port to Saigon it is easily 2 hours drive. Last month we had a van pick us up at port, had next to no traffic to Saigon and still took just over 2 hours including taking the most direct route by short ferry. Coming back to Phu My the next day by van from Saigon, it was closer to 2.5 hours as there was some backup on the roads. Our van was able to make better time than the buses. If you get a small group together from your roll call, private transfer will be cheaper (we paid just over $13 USD per person for a group of 11 in the van for return trip there and back). I believe Voyager of the Seas was charging something like $55 per person for round trip transfer for Saigon on Your Own. As we were in port overnight, we also wanted to make the best of our time by staying in Saigon overnight so booked the van to pick us up the first day and return us the next. A number of us had inquired ahead of time whether this option would be provided by the ship and we were told no. Partway through the cruise, the ship sent a notice around that they would be providing On Your Own Saigon overnight with transfer one day and return the next. Can't remember if that was the same price as returning the same day with ship or not.

As Silverseas is a smaller ship, you may be at a port closer to Saigon than Phu My .

Yes, that's a strong probability for Silver Cloud and Silver Wind, easily small enough to sail up the Saigon River & berth at Nha Rong, just a 15 minute walk to the sights in the centre of Saigon. Or Lotus Port just a little ways downstream & mebbe a 15 minute taxi ride away.

May also be the case for the other Silverseas ships - well worth asking Silverseas, cos it makes a huge difference.