Greetings from the Dream; questions?

Do they still offer bridge tours? I would love for my children to see the bridge.

Thanks!

No bridge tours any more apparently. They did have some kind of presentation by the captain and chief engineer where they described ship operations (but the discussion was not on the bridge).

First off, Thank you to SeattleChris & JackWC for your replies.

SeattleChris: OK, the kids want to decorate thier doors (we always use tape that leaves no residue)--any chance the doors are magnetic? I would like to have a wipe board--for them to leave messages. :)

You didn't say how old your children are but if they attend the Kid's Crew Club, they should have an opportunity to see the Bridge. Near the end of your cruise, the children put on a talent show for their families. (Get there early as seating fills up quickly) Afterwards, they are invited to the Bridge. The Captain even put in an appearance at the show. At least that's what happened on my cruise a few weeks ago.

If you go on the pool deck (11), forward, port or starboard depends on which side you are docking, you can observe the Captain at work. I highly recommend this as he is the "Dream" on the ship! He is the most visable Captain you are likely to find on any ship and will take time to chat, if he isn't busy with ship business. If you speak Croatian, use it, he'll like that.

First off, Thank you to SeattleChris & JackWC for your replies.

SeattleChris: OK, the kids want to decorate thier doors (we always use tape that leaves no residue)--any chance the doors are magnetic? I would like to have a wipe board--for them to leave messages. :)

Magnets will work on stateroom doors, yes. There's also a little clip-board like thingy for leaving notes.

No bridge tours for the kids this trip, although like before the captain did attend the kids crew talent show.

Bye all.

We just returned home from the Dream. As for the door signs/magnets. I placed a magnet on our door and it was promptly stolen. Our "do not disturb" sign was stolen 3 times. I just kept asking for new one's :D

I enjoyed the ship and the food was very good. We never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for a table and only once had a table not close to a window.

As for Sitka, some people did not receive the revised itinerary (or the credit information) and weren't at all happy about it when they found out days later (people in the elevator broke the news). We love Sitka and that is why we decided on this cruise; however, it didn't damper our trip AT ALL :) We found the other ports just as fun as last time.

We had a balcony room and enjoyed it very much. This is the first time I have ever seen a Captain so often. He showed up for our Cruise Critic meeting along with the Hotel Manager. Very courteous and informative.

Hope everyone has fun on their future cruises!

You said some didn't receive the schedule and credit info -- I saw where one poster said they got a note at boarding - how did you get it? I am still wondering how it can say $50 PP and then give a max of $100 per cabin. This means the cabins with 4 in them end up getting half the credit and yet everyone misses the same port. Odd.

Samantha

We received it at boarding; however, other's didn't receive it. Some of those people are my parents and grandma's that were on the cruise with us. I told them the first day about the change. Other's didn't know about it until someone told them in an elevator ride. They probably only give a max of $100 per room due to the lower cost for a third and fourth person in a cabin. They don't pay full price.

Traveling as a single person, I am always charged 50 to 100% more for that invisible second person. I don't remember what NCL's policy was. As it is my choice to travel alone, I try not to think about invisibles cost. (I know my total wasn't far from the total friends paid for 2 visible people in same cabin.) I got back $50; invisible didn't get anything!! Of course, it could have been an invisible credit and I just didn't see it.

We will sailing on the Dream in November-question------any tips on dining,can you recommend any special waiters that you would have again. Also,what cabin are you in.Do all the cabinsw/balconies have small refrigerators,or do we have to request one before we sail ? So,are you having a good time & what have been the most fun?

Thanks for taking the time ;)

Linda

We were in a balcony room, 8269. All the balcony's have small refrigerator's. I requested one for the mom and dad down in 4041 (porthole room). It was in there when they arrived. I found everything to be the most fun! I love to cruise!

We will sailing on the Dream in November-question------any tips on dining,can you recommend any special waiters that you would have again. Also,what cabin are you in.Do all the cabinsw/balconies have small refrigerators,or do we have to request one before we sail ? So,are you having a good time & what have been the most fun?

Thanks for taking the time ;)

Linda

It's hard to recommend a particular waiter because they were all very good, at least all the ones I met. Leslie and Alexa from Terraces were particularly entertaining, Leslie by singing, Alexa by joking around.

What was the most fun? That's a tough call, but I'd have to say the on board shows by the Jean Ann Ryan company.

Hey Goonhilly, come on over to the Roll Call and sign up. We have 21 people on the list and are planning a get together for 11 AM on 7/22 in the Observation Lounge near the Port side door.

I'm glad you have been reporting good things. There is another thread on this board that is telling people if they were considering booking on the Dream then don't. We don't sail her until November and haven't made our final payment. We have another month. We've never gone anywhere and not had a good time. Wait, I must correct myself. One time we took a trip to Hot Springs Arkansas and came home early. No one told us Hot Springs closed up at 5:00 PM. Hot Springs itself was great but the nights got very boring.

Hi Herewego,

I ordered the refrigerator approximately a month prior to sailing. They couldn't confirm that one would be in there; however, the request was made. My parents loved walking in a finding it there. Their refrigerator had more space in it than our's.

We will sailing on the Dream in November-question------any tips on dining,can you recommend any special waiters that you would have again.

I can't speak to specific waiters, but we've always found the Trattoria to be the most attractive in which to dine. It is essentially walled with glass, and is steeply terraced so that you avoid the feeling of being in a large dining room with hundreds of people. On certain special nights (e.g., Captain's dinner, Presidents' dinner), the Trattoria serves the same menu as the two main dining rooms (Terraces and Four Seasons), and for some reason seems to have fewer people wanting to dine there--so to us it's a good choice on those nights. We also, by the way, enjoy the Italian food served there on other nights--especially the osso bucco.

I'm glad you have been reporting good things. There is another thread on this board that is telling people if they were considering booking on the Dream then don't. We don't sail her until November and haven't made our final payment. We have another month. We've never gone anywhere and not had a good time. Wait, I must correct myself. One time we took a trip to Hot Springs Arkansas and came home early. No one told us Hot Springs closed up at 5:00 PM. Hot Springs itself was great but the nights got very boring.

I appreciate that.

Personally, I would never tell people to book or not book, it really depends on what you want and your circumstances. I had a great time, but some of the criticisms elsewhere do have merit. The ship isn't really cut out for freestyle dining, smoking areas aren't properly segregated, there is no library and game room per se, there are lots of obstructed views from the lounge, and there was no forewarning of the itinerary change despite the fact that the previous sailing had the same change. I was able to sidestep or ignore all these problems, others may not.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

There was a letter given to us as we were waiting in line for boarding. That was the first we heard of it. Also, note that the credit was limited to $100 per stateroom.

Thanks for all the great information. Feel free to sugest quiet places on board as well great viewing areas.

Dr Jim

Thanks for all the great information. Feel free to sugest quiet places on board as well great viewing areas.

Dr Jim

For glacier-viewing, try deck 8 toward the bow of the ship. It's covered should it be raining. Deck 8 at the stern is also covered, and is very nice for watching Inside Passage scenery. If it's too cold to be on deck, the Observatory Lounge is very nice, especially the small clusters of chairs in the forward corners.

For glacier-viewing, try deck 8 toward the bow of the ship. It's covered should it be raining. Deck 8 at the stern is also covered, and is very nice for watching Inside Passage scenery. If it's too cold to be on deck, the Observatory Lounge is very nice, especially the small clusters of chairs in the forward corners.

Jeez.......you know all of my secret spots.:D

Jeez.......you know all of my secret spots.:D

There's also a small covered area at the stern of deck 7. Incidentally, the easiest access to the pool area at the aft end of deck 9 is by taking the stairs from deck 8, rather than walking down from deck 12.

We will have a forward facing room on deck 8. We are hoping we will be able to see over the railing from room.

Dr Jim

We will have a forward facing room on deck 8. We are hoping we will be able to see over the railing from room.

Dr Jim

While you will be able to see over the railing, at the glacier there will be fifty people standing between your window and the railing. ;-)

Archived