Greetings from the Dream; questions?

Hello. I'm on the Dream, having a great time. Any one have a question that's best researched by someone on board? If so, ask quick and I'll see what I can do between martinis.
Gosh Chris...what a team player! Taking one for the team and sacrificing martini time. That's a committed cruiser. LOL :D I don't have a question but wanted to acknowledge your generosity. ;)

Hello,

We are traveling with teens on this cruise. In the past they have misplaced thier shipcard. Does Dream have shipcards that open the room and charge? Our last cruise had two cards--one for charging and one for room. We appreciate your input. If there is one card--we will be purchasing a retractable lanyard in hopes this will help from misplacing thier cards. Hope you are enjoying your trip. We will be setting sail on Monday, 7/11. Any suggestions on parking--or is the best place at the Bell Center?

Thanks for offering your information. We sailed on the Dream June 9-20 and had excellent weather. I have family on the Dream now and haven't talked to them. They must be having way to much fun. Just wondered how the weather is and if you are going to Sitka? How lots of fun and drink one for me.

To herewego: I have never had to wait for breakfast or lunch, although the buffet tends to be a zoo sometimes with no seating. If you get to dinner within about 15 minutes of opening there is no wait. At about 30 minutes past opening, they seem to fill and wait times are long (30-60 minutes) because you have to wait for the first wave to finish eating. It's not as bad when the ship is in port during dinner.

To stardancer: there is just a single card for room entry and purchases. There is no room information on the card, and you have to sign for purchases (signature is on the card), so there is an attempt at preventing fraud from lost or stolen room cards. The cards for my kids have a corner cut off, which I assume is meant to prevent liquor purchase, but I'm not positive. Supposedly they can charge to the room because they are on the "routing" paper I was given, indicating they could charge, along with instructions on how to remove that authority.

To stardancer: I recommend sticking with the Bell Street garage. They say they always have room, and their rates seem competitive, and they can check your bags right from your car. You can do a little cheaper by parking at an off-site lot and taking a shuttle, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

To herewego: there did not seem to be any particular activities that were added to replace Sitka. However, like most sea days, there is plenty for me.

To mollyb1: It was rainy at the start, including Ketchikan and half of the stay in Juneau. Then it cleared up and it's been quite nice since. As you probably know, Alaska has rapidly changing weather and lots of rain along this route, so don't count on sunshine but you might get as lucky as I did.

Hello,

We are traveling with teens on this cruise. In the past they have misplaced thier shipcard. Does Dream have shipcards that open the room and charge? Our last cruise had two cards--one for charging and one for room. We appreciate your input. If there is one card--we will be purchasing a retractable lanyard in hopes this will help from misplacing thier cards. Hope you are enjoying your trip. We will be setting sail on Monday, 7/11. Any suggestions on parking--or is the best place at the Bell Center?

Teens on-board the Dream in May were issued their own cards, with expenditure restrictions, and they were attached to a wrist band.

When my wife misplaced hers on the cruise, we were both given new cards - no charge.;)

Hello. I'm on the Dream, having a great time. Any one have a question that's best researched by someone on board? If so, ask quick and I'll see what I can do between martinis.

Hello Chris,

You are a dedicated Cruise critic. Thanks for your generosity with your time. We are not travelling on the Dream until January but we are interested in knowing the best adult places to go. We love our grown kids but would like a few quiet places. Eg nightclubs, hot tubs etc. Also are there any additional fee restaurants and if so, did you try them? we like ethnic food. Have a wonderful time! And if you can't get back to us, we understand. Ship internet is expensive.

JT

Hello Chris,

You are a dedicated Cruise critic. Thanks for your generosity with your time. We are not travelling on the Dream until January but we are interested in knowing the best adult places to go. We love our grown kids but would like a few quiet places. Eg nightclubs, hot tubs etc. Also are there any additional fee restaurants and if so, did you try them? we like ethnic food. Have a wonderful time! And if you can't get back to us, we understand. Ship internet is expensive.

JT

Generally you can find a bar spot on deck 10 that's relatively quiet. The hot tubs are sometimes packed, sometimes empty. I didn't try the Le Bistro restaurant, the only one with a cover charge. I don't think that kids or teenagers are the major factor in disrupting the solitude on board, although many people fixate on this.

Thanks for offering "Dream" information. We'll be on board 7/21.

I booked for shore trips at every port, but with the new schedule, many do not now line up with the time the ship is in port. Are they cancelling those trips, or is NCL able to reschedule some?

For example for the train ride in Prince Rupert, the boat will now leave before the train is due back. At Juneau, the Mendenhall glacier trip is scheduled an hour before the ship arrives.

I know this is an older ship with no balconys...is it still clean? Roomy? Nice?

THANKS!

Fewer balconies perhaps, but they exist. The ship seems clean and well maintained. Compared to other ships I've been on, it's a bit smaller, the main lounge doesn't have a balcony section and corresponding high ceiling, and there's no grand atrium. That said, I think the ship has a lot of visual appeal.

Thanks for offering "Dream" information. We'll be on board 7/21.

I booked for shore trips at every port, but with the new schedule, many do not now line up with the time the ship is in port. Are they cancelling those trips, or is NCL able to reschedule some?

For example for the train ride in Prince Rupert, the boat will now leave before the train is due back. At Juneau, the Mendenhall glacier trip is scheduled an hour before the ship arrives.

I really don't know. I would assume they would make a good effort to reschedule, not just for your benefit but for their own profit.

I'm on the Dream currently, and everything is great!!! The ship seems to be moving at a consistent 15 knots -- the engine problem appears to limit the speed at that rate.

The captain shows his face everywhere -- last night my steak was rare (raw?) when I ordered medium-well. The waiter and assistant waiter were arguing over who caused the problem, and after 3 attempts, I settled for it being cooked medium rare. The argument between the waiters promptly ended when one came up to us and stated that the captain was dining in the corner of Le Bistro!!!

This may be somebody's nightmare, but we all had a good laugh. At the end somebody mentioned that it was our anniversary, and to our embarassment, the waiters brought us a cake and sang a song for us.

The staff and crew have all been great. Special requests are prompted accomidated. Our waits for meals have been short -- we have always been at a table for 6 -- but I think tables for 2 people have a longer wait.

I'm at an internet cafe right now (ship rates are .75 per minute) and there is a crowd of ship people all concerned about the hurricane (Florida residents, FEMA workers, insurance adjusters. Prince Rupert is not our highlight on the trip!

We'll sail again very soon. Everybody makes you feel like this ship is your home. I have never walked past the captain without his making eye contact and acknowledging our presence. When I get home, I'll attach a photograph of Captain Mogic navigating our ship close to the Hubbard Glacier from the bridge (or at least the port wing of the bridge). The glacier was really impressive.

Generally you can find a bar spot on deck 10 that's relatively quiet. The hot tubs are sometimes packed, sometimes empty. I didn't try the Le Bistro restaurant, the only one with a cover charge. I don't think that kids or teenagers are the major factor in disrupting the solitude on board, although many people fixate on this.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Much appreciated. And you are right, often it's not kids that cause the major disruptions. We just really enjoyed the Adults only areas on the Disney Magic. The nightclubs etc. Glad you are enjoying your cruise and are diaper-less. ;-)

JR

Were all of the passengers given a $50 credit for missing the Sitka port? If so was this announced in the Daily or over the intercom or...

Chloe

There was a letter given to us as we were waiting in line for boarding. That was the first we heard of it. Also, note that the credit was limited to $100 per stateroom.

Archived