Traveling with eldery parents

mom2kids00

From what I understand you can either walk or 'fly' to the overcrowded Mahogany Bay beach or take a tour. My parents would never make it over to the beach so I'm open to suggestions. I read too that you have to walk quite a distance to get a cab or tour?

It is a bit of a walk off the ship to get to the cab area. When you first get off you will be on the pier. It is level. You will walk thru a duty free store that they filter everyone into. Once outside this store there starts an incline. There are places to sit and rest. The area then opens up to many stores. The beach/chair lifts are to your right and the cab area is to the left.

I traveled with my sister who is disabled. She was able to walk this. Of course, it wasn't a fast walk but seeing the island for her was well worth it.

We booked the Best of Roatan with Victor Bodden. We used Laura as our tour guide. This trip can be designed for any activity level. The shopping is usually at the top of a mountain and is a very small area. Make sure you ask to go to the local grocery store. Vanilla here is the cheapest you will find on your entire cruise. They also have some great garlic sauce that goes great with fish and chicken.

You will have plenty of time to see the island even with a slow walk to the cab area. Victor will explain how to meet his guides.

Have fun and enjoy Roatan.

First, there's a walk down the pier from the ship to the building:

P5150540-M.jpg

Then you walk toward the shopping area:

P5150547-M.jpg

If you walk to the right, that is where you walk over to the beach.

There's a winding path to walk with some inclines (especially coming back)

IMG_0521-M.jpg

This is a view from the ship looking over to the beach area:

P5150541-M.jpg

As you can see, you can catch the sky ride over to the beach and back. They sell tickets for 1 use I believe, or you can buy a ticket to use all day (which would include the ride there and back)

IMG_0518-M.jpg

IMG_0526-M.jpg

Then you pass through a building before arriving at the beach area:

IMG_0527-M.jpg

Once you get to the beach, you will see tons of these lining the beach...rows and rows of them:

IMG_0539-M.jpg

IMG_0546-M.jpg

IMG_0541-M.jpg

Even though you are really close to the ship, it's just kinda a long walk, especially for someone with mobility problems.

IMG_0542-M.jpg

If you are trying to get out of the port area to the taxis, you will walk on level ground through the shopping areas

IMG_0513-M.jpg

IMG_0512-M.jpg

To get to this area:

IMG_0511-M.jpg

This is where you catch your cabs or if you have a private tour, you will have to walk outside the complex and up and over a long hill. This is once you get to the top of the hill (the following is not my picture, but one someone else had posted awhile back showing the area)

9698494164_eec9959dd0_c-M.jpg

That is where you catch your tour/excursion cab.

Now just know this...if you can make it to the cab exit at the port, there are cabs there that will take you up and over the hill to the excursion cabs for I believe $2, which I highly suggest if you are going to go.

I hope that helps. :)

Archived