Thinking of going to Moscow?

We will be taking the Sapsan from Moscow to St. Petersburg next summer. Is there much of a difference between first class and coach? We're booked in coach as the TA says there's not all that much difference for the money. Also, do you have any opinion on whether to ride on the left or right, facing forward, headed to St. Petersburg? I want to get the best views.

Great questions - you have a super trip planned. We booked on Russian Rails where you can see available seating and book 40 days in advance with an E-ticket. You can practice here.

http://www.russianrailways.com/

We rode second class to Moscow and brought fruit and a fiber bar for breakfast (they have a dinning car). There is not a lot of exciting scenery so side didn't matter to us. But we did want to ride facing forward and picked a table seat with another couple facing us. The cost was $103 and included a fee paid to RR. It's dark on the return trip and the lights stay on inside - so you can see much outside.

IMG_8554-001_zpsb58a54c1.jpg?t=1384180191

We used 1st class on the return trip. The main differences were leather seats that recline (we napped), a hot meal and small bottle of wine and internet -if you have a Russian Sim card or cell phone. We have a phone app that allows global calls and face time - but you need a wifi signal. The cost was $187 return but we felt that with a such a long day that it was worth it. If you are traveling with a guide or group they may not permit splitting from the group so you may want to inquire before you purchase your tickets.

Thanks for the info. We won't be running around too much so sleeping on the train won't be important. I was hoping for some scenery, but I guess that's not going to happen. I am a rail fan so riding the Sapsan, in itself, will put another notch in my camera. :D

Thanks for the info. We won't be running around too much so sleeping on the train won't be important. I was hoping for some scenery, but I guess that's not going to happen. I am a rail fan so riding the Sapsan, in itself, will put another notch in my camera. :D

Chattanooga choo choo ?

Take a 10 minute trip on The Trans Siberian train with this professional video.

http://www.travelallrussia.com/tsars-gold-video

I wonder if you saw the Faberge Eggs? I was not that interested in giving 1 of our 3 days in SPB to a 1 day Moscow next summer until I saw the possible opportunity to see those eggs. Your pictures are great and I really like that you included train pictures. I am enjoying the SPB thread as well. Both threads are helping us plan our trip.

I wonder if you saw the Faberge Eggs? I was not that interested in giving 1 of our 3 days in SPB to a 1 day Moscow next summer until I saw the possible opportunity to see those eggs. Your pictures are great and I really like that you included train pictures. I am enjoying the SPB thread as well. Both threads are helping us plan our trip.

Good news , bad news . We did not get to see the eggs in Moscow. However , today is your lucky day . Viktor Vekselberg , the largest private owner of Faberge eggs , has put his collection of eggs and jeweled art objects on display in St. Petersburg beginning today. They can be seen at The Shuvalov Palace on the Fontanka River. See the stories here.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/russian-oligarch-opens-faberge-egg-museum-113111901092_1.html

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/palaces/shuvalov-palace/

We will be taking the Sapsan from Moscow to St. Petersburg next summer. Is there much of a difference between first class and coach? We're booked in coach as the TA says there's not all that much difference for the money. Also, do you have any opinion on whether to ride on the left or right, facing forward, headed to St. Petersburg? I want to get the best views.

There are not a lot of great views in either Moscow or St. Petersburg (or enroute). As you exit Moscow you may see some glimpses of the Moscow Skyline on your left and the left side would also have the historic center of S. Petersburg, but I don’t think you can see much of it from the train.

Our tour on our one-day trip to Moscow included a visit to the Armoury, which is filled with so many interesting historical items, including the Faberge eggs. Our group of 11 used Alla Tours for the Moscow trip as well as our two days in St. Petersburg. We took the 6:45 a.m. Sapsan train to Moscow in the morning and returned on a 10:45 p.m. flight, so it was a long and busy day, but we were very glad we took this opportunity to have a glimpse of the capital. Very different look and feel from St. Petersburg.