Advice on Ryndam cabin

doctork

I'm getting ready to book my cabin for the Prairie Home Companion charter Baltics cruise Dover - Saint Petersburg next August 9 - 23, 2014. Because it's a charter, because it's two weeks long, and because I usually travel solo, it's pretty pricey for my usual veranda cabin - $6,100 to $7,000 per person for double occupancy, and of course I would pay 160% of that for solo travel.

One year I booked a main deck ocean view cabin and though it was great for the budget, I felt kind of claustrophobic with just that window and in a cabin way down low in the ship. I am wondering if an ocean view on the Lower Promenade deck would feel better for me. The per person fare for those rooms are $4,500 to $4,800 per person.

From what I've read here about privacy, I know I have to draw the curtains at night! I don't think Ryndam has those lanai cabins. Do the Lower Promenade cabins have bigger windows, or full length sliding doors? For that itinerary is port or starboard better? Do you have any advice or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade will be slightly, but noticeably, smaller than the outside cabins on Main Deck. The windows will be the same size. Since the cabin is smaller, and the view of the ocean is across the promenade, then the room might feel even more claustrophobic than the one on Main Deck. Your call on that.

Each cabin has plenty of space for a solo. There will be more than ample storage (perhaps you can sub-let a closet? or some drawer space? to try to recoup some of the price??? ;)).

That is the one itinerary where I was sorry I didn't have a balcony. So, in your case, I would prefer Main Deck, as it has a direct view to the gorgeous scenery.

The Ryndam doesn't have any lanai cabins, so you are free to sit in any available lounger on Lower Promenade. It also means that you have a greater choice of outside cabins on that deck.

Port or starboard really won't make any difference to you. For scenic cruising you will want to be out on deck. I would choose a Main Deck cabin near the forward elevator, but anywhere between the forward and aft elevators will give you a nice ride.

Thanks for the pictures KK and the detailed advice!

Good points about subletting closets and drawers! :) And about the better view from a main deck cabin. But if, with all your cruises Ruth, this is the one that you wish you had taken a balcony, perhaps I should pinch pennies a little harder and go for the balcony.

I have a mild - moderate mobility impairment so I don't go on strenuous tours and I probably use the balcony more than many passengers because of that.

Archived