Minerva

Cruiselover46

Has anyone been on Minerva very recently please?

I am concerned about the propeller noise and shudder in the aft cabins. We booked a cruise for next year in August last year in an aft cabin which was the only one available in the 2 grades we could afford, but after experiencing problems in an aft cabin on a cruise in March of this year we contacted SH in August of this year and were told it had been sorted. We have been told again today that it has been sorted and are awaiting it in writing as I post.

I have since read a review on here which was posted in September to say it is still there!!

We love everything about Minerva but the thought of spending 23 nights without sleep is spoiling our excitement of our next cruise on her.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cruiselover46

I was on in February and the shudder/noise was mentioned by several people. One of the other passengers was a retired marine engineer and he said the problem was caused by the ship's design (something about where the propeller was located) so I doubt it could be "fixed". Are you booked on the Baltic deck?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I will be on the Minerva that starts in Hong Kong on 24th Jan 2015 & ends in Singapore on 14th Feb 2015.

All this chat about noise onboard is disturbing & not something I expect to hear about a ship that seems to pride itself. Luckily I have a forward cabin. Any comments on those?

This trip includes Manila & Bohol in the Philippines. Bohol has been hit particularly hard with an earthquake, & now the hurricane. I know my trip is a long way off but I hope we don't skip Bohol. They will still need some cash by then & I hope the tourist dollar will help a little.

Steve

Edited by has been

• 4 weeks later...

We have been in forward cabins twice on Minerva ( last time April/May this year) and they are fine. There definitely was a problem this last time aft although in 2011 when we were on board I never heard of any problems so maybe it is fixable.

Jean

We have been in forward cabins twice on Minerva () and they are fine.

Jean

Hi parapara,

Thanks for that, I feel a little more comfortable.

I wonder they get any return passengers from the affected cabins if the noise in the aft is that bad.

Steve

We traveled in forward cabins this past February and heard no complaints from fellow passengers. We will now be on the Jan 29th voyage starting in Santiago, Chile and terminating in Buenos Aires, Argentina in mid ship cabin. We will report back if we become aware of problems. Safe journey to all.

Cruiselover, Have you asked to be waitlisted for a more desirable cabin?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, yes we have, we booked this cruise in August 2012 and discovered this problem whilst on a cruise in March 2013, we mentioned it at the time and a note was put on our booking to transfer to a forward cabin if one became available but until now nothing has transpired. We still live in hope.

Cruiselover46

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello,

I will be on the Minerva that starts in Hong Kong on 24th Jan 2015 & ends in Singapore on 14th Feb 2015.

All this chat about noise onboard is disturbing & not something I expect to hear about a ship that seems to pride itself. Luckily I have a forward cabin. Any comments on those?

This trip includes Manila & Bohol in the Philippines. Bohol has been hit particularly hard with an earthquake, & now the hurricane. I know my trip is a long way off but I hope we don't skip Bohol. They will still need some cash by then & I hope the tourist dollar will help a little.

Steve

Hi I will also be on the cruise on Feb 14 in fact I am also on the 2 previous segments leaving on Dec 19 This will be my 5 th cruise on Minerva and I have always had a midship or forward cabin and noise was not a problem but I was invited for a drink in one of the stern cabins on Baltic and I was glad I wasn't staying in that cabin I am also a fellow Canadian

Betty

Madrona Bet

Hi I will also be on the cruise on Feb 14 in fact I am also on the 2 previous segments leaving on Dec 19 This will be my 5 th cruise on Minerva and I have always had a midship or forward cabin and noise was not a problem but I was invited for a drink in one of the stern cabins on Baltic and I was glad I wasn't staying in that cabin I am also a fellow Canadian

Betty

Madrona Bet

Wow - that is quite the route for you. Singapore to Singapore. I was on an Oceania cruise last year that called at some of those stops. Very interesting - very exotic.

No need to ask if you enjoy the Minerva I think.

Have you been to any of these places before?

Do you go home after the 14th Feb?

Steve

We were in an aft bottom deck cabin 2 or 3 years ago and there were no problems whatsoever and I heard no complaints other than from someone in an inside cabin who felt the cabin was somewhat warm and could not be cooled down. The cruise was around Iceland so people were not acclimatised to hot conditions.

That was just before the ship went in dock for the alterations though, so it is possible that the problem is a result of the work that was done then. Somethiing was done to help manoeverability at that stage, but I am not sure what it was.

Edited by tring

Again sorry for not coming back with a report of our Spirit of Brazil cruise in February.

Firstly I will say that we had a wonderful cruise the ports were exciting, especially as there is now a lot of hype about the football and being able to recognise places in Rio and know about Favela's etc. The crew were as good as ever, they work so hard nothing was too much trouble for them and the entertainment was excellent, a wonderful harpist and guitar player in the lounges. The Amazon was amazing.

I am pleased to say we were upgraded to a forward cabin so fortunately didn't have to experience the noise in the aft cabin.

I would definitely book again.