Messina -> Taormina, 12PM-6PM

asenk

That is a ridiculously short port stop. Even with a private driver you will only have 2 maybe 3 hours on Taormina. Barely time for a cannoli and a perusal of the streets and shops. Forget a sit down lunch.

Of course I have spent time in Taormina more than once so I personally would not go there be it by private driver or public transport. I believe that I read posted here that Messina can actually be a nice place to see. There must be loads of churches and piazzas to visit and you will have time for a nice lunch with fabulous Sicilian wine!

I am Sicilian btw!!

We just got back from Messina on Friday I would not go to Taormina on a D.I.Y. in that short of a time frame . I was shocked at how large Taormina is we thought it was a small hill town like many in Italy. It has a lot to cover even if you had a very long day .

Forget the public transportation. Try to hire a transfer to Taormina from the port. This town is so charming and the views from the top are amazing. Even you could have only 2 hours there it is still worth to go.

We had 9H and we were able to see Castelmola and Taormina. We did a tour (transfer) with http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp Contact them and see what they can do for you.

The driver was very knowledgeable and spoke good English.

Don't DIY. We were just there last week and almost missed the ship's departure. Very stressful and would never do another DIY that is that far from port again! Public transportation is sometimes unreliable and unpredictable. We had to hire a private taxi to get us back in record time, all the while praying in the back seat. It was sheer panic since our next port was Athens 2 days later! Definitely go and see Taormina (including Greek Theatre) but take reliable transportation, there and back. Good Luck.

Archived