Are you kidding me Viking?!

remydiva

I don't understand your problem. Why even look to book Viking? You do not have to pay fully in advance with Viking, don't take advantage of the offer that requires pay in advance. Why are you so concerned with there marking approach? Either you think they offer a good product at a price you are willing to pay or they don't.

At the historical beginning of psychotherapy, it was a common misperception that a thorough venting of the emotion around a previous experience would be therapeutic -- but scientific studies have found that such venting (like re-experiencing the anger over some injustice) just promoted maladaptive anger!

So, I'm really interested in hearing from previous Viking passengers who are angry about an experience that remains unresolved. Thankfully, complaints about the Danube floods seem to have wound to an end. No river cruise company caused a horrible 2013 winter nor a warmer-than-usual spring! I understand a river cruise vessel rides mainly on the water and must fit through locks and under fixed bridges. I understand if a boat can't get under a bridge, everyone gets on a bus or a train to the next port (where a new vessel may be waiting).

A comparison between Viking and any other river cruise company is constructive, but have you been a passenger of both and experienced the same ports? My experience with Cruise Critic is that 90% of the experiences reported are favorable ones, in that "I did it -- you should do it too!" pretty much rules and can't be taken all that seriously. I'm also not that taken with people's criticisms of food provided, especially if you compare quality/price on the adjacent economies. Being in the US (and I will take a small leap and include Canada?) we are roundly spoiled with price, variety etc. I believe that the essence of a river cruise taken when you can sit wherever in a shirt and enjoy the view and experience a good night's sleep -- this is the essence of the experience? On other threads, have read recommendation to select the least expensive cabin (lowest level) while others have reported noise and the sounds at night of passing ships as being problematic. Of course, the greatest weakness of Cruise Critic is that reports of river cruises are few and sporatic -- haven't read one one a new ship with comparison with older vessels, for example. I also think, in the current financial environment with a great 15-month CD paying 1 1/2% a commitment to full payment many months in advance would be problematic to the majority if (1) you did not arrange independent trip insurance (and going out of the US, you need health insurance!), and (2) if any company had a history of financial negligence.

In addition, different river cruise companies may have the same itineraries but provide quite different experiences. Some dock at night, while others make distance by relocating during the night. Some visit for the majority of the day the same port/city that others visit only for the evening, etc.

Wish everyone a calm and relaxed Christmas season and a healthy New Year!

DJ:)

At the historical beginning of psychotherapy, it was a common misperception that a thorough venting of the emotion around a previous experience would be therapeutic -- but scientific studies have found that such venting (like re-experiencing the anger over some injustice) just promoted maladaptive anger!

So, I'm really interested in hearing from previous Viking passengers who are angry about an experience that remains unresolved. Thankfully, complaints about the Danube floods seem to have wound to an end. No river cruise company caused a horrible 2013 winter nor a warmer-than-usual spring! I understand a river cruise vessel rides mainly on the water and must fit through locks and under fixed bridges. I understand if a boat can't get under a bridge, everyone gets on a bus or a train to the next port (where a new vessel may be waiting).

A comparison between Viking and any other river cruise company is constructive, but have you been a passenger of both and experienced the same ports? My experience with Cruise Critic is that 90% of the experiences reported are favorable ones, in that "I did it -- you should do it too!" pretty much rules and can't be taken all that seriously. I'm also not that taken with people's criticisms of food provided, especially if you compare quality/price on the adjacent economies. Being in the US (and I will take a small leap and include Canada?) we are roundly spoiled with price, variety etc. I believe that the essence of a river cruise taken when you can sit wherever in a shirt and enjoy the view and experience a good night's sleep -- this is the essence of the experience? On other threads, have read recommendation to select the least expensive cabin (lowest level) while others have reported noise and the sounds at night of passing ships as being problematic. Of course, the greatest weakness of Cruise Critic is that reports of river cruises are few and sporatic -- haven't read one one a new ship with comparison with older vessels, for example. I also think, in the current financial environment with a great 15-month CD paying 1 1/2% a commitment to full payment many months in advance would be problematic to the majority if (1) you did not arrange independent trip insurance (and going out of the US, you need health insurance!), and (2) if any company had a history of financial negligence.

In addition, different river cruise companies may have the same itineraries but provide quite different experiences. Some dock at night, while others make distance by relocating during the night. Some visit for the majority of the day the same port/city that others visit only for the evening, etc.

Wish everyone a calm and relaxed Christmas season and a healthy New Year!

Don't understand how anything you wrote has to do with what I wrote.

I guess that my main comment had to do with the intense emotion expressed by some who don't provide any reason for it? I would suggest that there is all sorts of craziness and injustice in the world that one could scream at, but a river cruise company? Also, it seemed that everything quieted down and then someone posted again and the process started again?

My thought is that expressing intense emotion, for intense emotion's sake, does nothing but increase the efficiency of intense emotion expression. On the other hand, way interested in learning more about river cruise experiences and I hope for all that river conditions stay workable through next spring. Also hope that river cruise passengers step up and report on their vacations?

Thanks,

..or the original post :)

I have cruised on two river cruise lines, 3 cruises , 3 different itineraries, one brand new boat, one fairly newish boat and one really old boat. ..none of which has any relevance to the OP..

Which was why pay 100% for something so far out and the constant 2/1 " discounts" that arent really.

Thats all, nothing more, nothing less..and to all a good night!:)

..or the original post :)

I have cruised on two river cruise lines, 3 cruises , 3 different itineraries, one brand new boat, one fairly newish boat and one really old boat. ..none of which has any relevance to the OP.. Which was why pay 100% for something so far out and the constant 2/1 " discounts" that arent really. Thats all, nothing more, nothing less..and to all a good night!:)

I find that folks generally take their comments wherever they want and seldom get so incensed if not from personal experience. (I mean, once you have stated the obvious and have expressed your perhaps scary anger over the observation, what else remains to be said, other than "you are correct!" or "why so distressed?") Have read many a clothing fight about either guidelines or the brow-beating of fellow passengers and have read about competitive comparisons of different cruise lines, but why have such a caustic thread title and the obsessive return to this fact (therefore my comment regarding psychotherapy). Great that you pay for air when you purchase, rather than a deposit. I noted that upscale cruise companies sell by demonstrating gigantic markdowns in their booklets. Indeed, by following over one year prices on some of the largest cruise lines, I find for certain companies their "sales" start by marking up the previously or originally posted "retail" price? I would suggest that if Viking promotional effort ties one's clothes into uncomfortable knots, one should throw away their brochures and thereby sleep more restfully. I found last August when I worked on a vacation for the following June that the new Viking Ships were pretty much booked in the Basel/Amsterdam, Amsterdam/Basel cruises (save for the incredibly expensive two giant cabins and a few lowest deck/waterline with port holes options). Actually, we purchased last August an only-remaining verandah cabin going from Basel to Amsterdam 13 June (and never gave the payment schedule another thought until I ran into this thread).

As we enter a season of goodwill with hopes for peace between men, hopefully some experienced river cruisers will post in 2014 useful advice derived from their experiences?

My best wishes,

• 3 weeks later...

" so I don't pay until the last minute....and I still get the "two for one" price, which is really totally subjective. The company sets the brochure price for your trip at say $8000 per person, then cuts it to 50% off special price....voila $8000 per couple, which is what the trip is worth in the first place"

I may not have a MBA(actually there is no maybe about it) ;), but I can figure out that no company, whether selling cruises, shoes, or boxes of doughnuts, would be in business very long giving 50% of their potential sales away for free. Yet every marketing person knows that nothing gets people motivated like the words "free" or "2 for 1", or any myriad of similar eye catchers that gets the human greed gene excited.

"Just ain't no free lunch, bubba", and the more you remember that as a consumer, the better off you will be.

The end of my two cents worth of advice, for which you paid nothing; so keep in mind that free advice is usually worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

Edited by MermaidWatcher