Authentic Cuisine Spots

inkandsun

One of my favorite things to do while ashore various cruise ports is get a taste of some authentic food. I don't want to eat fried chicken and hamburgers while sipping Coronas on the beach. I like those little out of the way gems that feature delicious food that is anything from "touristy."

I will be sailing to SXM in a month and would love any recommendations. From what I understand the island is divided into french and dutch sections. Any of those cuisines would be fine. Also, I don't like paying and arm and a leg. Lol. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks again, and this site rocks!

<snip>

I will be sailing to SXM in a month and would love any recommendations. From what I understand the island is divided into french and dutch sections. Any of those cuisines would be fine. Also, I don't like paying and arm and a leg. Lol. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks again, and this site rocks!

You almost nailed it yourself, right there with your Lol. :)

An interesting food choice on the island is the LoLo. These are (usually) small establishments offering up mostly BBQ'ed or grilled local food at very reasonable prices.

They are scattered across both sides of the island, but usually offer similar options. The most well known are in a small cluster of stands on the main street of Grand Case, French side.

th_DSCN5504.jpg

(click)

Choices range from the most popular, spare ribs (baby back) and chicken, to fish and lobster. Curried goat is often available. You can usually order stuffed Christophene and stuffed crab backs along with various side dishes. Add a cold beer and you're good to go.

Our current favorite here is Germain's Place.

th_DSCN5338.jpg

gary

We've eaten at the Harbor View, which is on the boardwalk at Great Bay, I believe it is, Dutch Side, and offers island cuisine (jerk, curry) served with heaps of side dishes. If get there too late in the afternoon, they will run out of their most popular dishes.

Archived