Demographic of Rhapsody over New Years

Sonicked

Hi there,

My husband and I are contemplating taking the Rhapsody cruise ex Sydney on the 28th of December 2013 (15 nights) but are curious as to what the demographics are likely to be like at this time of the year. We have heard that longer cruises typically lead to an older demographic, but would like to hear of what people's first hand experiences with this has been.

Thanks.

It is school holidays (vacation) in Australia at that time so I'd expect plenty of families with kids.

We did the first cruise after school went back on Voyager OTS in February this year. There were only about 150 kids onboard where the previous cruise had over 1,000!

I agree with Sparky74. Since Aussies get four weeks holiday a year, the longer cruises are not a barrier to families taking a longer cruising holiday. (I believe in the US annual leave is 2 weeks and hence shorter cruises are more popular with people still in the work force. I'm happy to be corrected if I am mistaken :)). We have cruised over Christmas and NY on HAL (Zaandam, Sydney to Singapore 14 nights then on to HK another 16 nights) and even with the return flights it did not seem to be a barrier to families enjoying the cruise. For your cruise, I'd expect quite a lot of kids onboard, as RCCL has a strong reputation in Australia for family friendly cruising.

Cheers,

We were on the 10 night Radiance cruise last New Years to the islands, and there were LOTS of families, and quite a contingent of 18 - 25 year olds that were very obvious around the ship particularly the pool deck. Music on the pool deck in the afternoons was a DJ that took requests, so heavy rock and they really took over. That said we still had a wonderful time, and it was great for our teenage kids.

In contrast we did a 14 night cruise a few years ago on Rhapsody to New Zealand, which departed 7 January and while there were still very many families, the demographic was older and more international, with people who wanted to see and experience NZ rather than have a beach/party type holiday, so still great fun but less of a party atmosphere. Personally, even though we have kids, I preferred it. Steel drum band by the pool, bars not over run in the evenings by 22 year olds.

It seems to me that the cruises to the pacific islands attract a different demographic than the NZ cruises, and also a New Year cruise does too.

All depends what you are looking for.

Have you checked out the Roll Call thread for that sailing? So far a mix of older people, younger people, families with older and younger children.

Being as long as it is, I'm guessing you might find fewer families with younger children (I'm guessing that they would go for the shorter 9-10 Night Christmas cruises over the longer New Year's cruises - the earlier cruises might also coincide better with "office closed" days at work over Christmas and New Year).

(I'm on that sailing. 25 / M / solo.)

Archived