Phoning home from ship

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to phone home to a loved one while at sea on the ship Voyager of the Seas Sydney to New Caledonia, Lautoka, NZ.

I am aware of cabin phone charges of $8 ? per minute.:eek:

I want to try and avoid the costly expense of my mobile phone.

I know I can purchase phone cards while in port, however I do need to phone while at sea.

My loved one does not have a computer so internet is out.

We just need to make the old fahioned phone call once a day.

I have heard of 'Gosim' which is a simcard for international roaming and can be used at sea, however I am yet to find out if this is compatible with Voyager of the Seas.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever we cruise we get an internet package(from onboard) and ph home using Viber. It's a free app and works off your wii fii. That way you can use it from anywhere on the ship you want, so if you in your cabin and feel like a catch up its great, texting with Viber works the same, free to use if you have wii fii. Also if you both have skype you can do that too, plus they get to see you. :p from memory and without looking it up to give you an idea I think on voyager there are quite a few packages but I would use the 200min for about $90

Don't even think about phoning from the ship using their ph in your room, will cost you a fortune. Hope this all makes sense. Fiona :).

Edited by tassie cruiser

If you have purchased an internet connection on board and all have smart phones you may be able to use Viber which is a free app. I don't know for certain that it would work out at sea though.

Edited to add opps didn't see tassie cruisers post, Viber sounds like the way to go. I used it to call home when I did a land trip to Bali in July and it was great.

Edited by silverwillow

Just returned off Voyager of the seas through Asia. Used the covermore SIM card was only 37 cents per minute to call back to Australia. Used the cellular at sea network on the ship, despite their customer support telling me it wouldn't work on the ship

The SIM card also worked well through Asia

Friends of ours just off the Solstice said Viber would not work for them out at sea. Not sure about Skype but I would think it would depend on the connection quality and I have only ever experienced slow internet at sea.

Edited by silverwillow