Witenblauw villa A Decadent Day in Paradise

Tulsajsas

Returned last week from cruise on Independence of the Seas. We chose the Decadent Day in Paradise and so glad we did. The excursion was fantastic. About 15-20 minutes from the ship/pier brings you to Villa Witenblauw and Paradise. Excursion limited to 20 guests. Our day had 17 paradise seekers on the excursion. Excursion is only offered to RCL and Celebrity passengers/guests.

Highlights: lovely home, large private grounds, large zero entry salt water pool with waterfall (most magnificent), fresh water pool, jacuzzi/hot tub (didn't try that one), dining/buffet area, marvelous italian buffet and gelatto desert, open bar (yes...whatever you would like whenever you would like), plenty of lounge chairs with large umbrellas (loungers moveable in case you want full sun), benches, showers, etc.... Two large guest cottages are utilized as the male and female changing rooms (connected by a bridge over the salt water pool). Plenty of floating mats available for the pools. Gorgeous, gorgeous setting. Oh, and a structure with 2 large hammocks to kick back, enjoy the scenery and drift away witht the sounds of the surf.

By the way, we did carry a few deck towels from the ship just in case they were needed, but towels were supplied at the Villa. It was still nice to have them just in case....

Something else to pass along, they did have wifi available for guests. Not many were carrying devices, but those who were found the amenity most welcome.

As noted elsewhere, the beach is rocky and they do not suggest swimming due to undertow. However, easy access to the beach for getting your toes in the sand and feet wet in the surf or if you would like to lay on the sand.

From beginning to end the Decadent Day in Paradise was carried out as a total class act for those who want to get away from thousands of folks on a ship or get away from crowded beaches.

Georgia and her husband (?) as the hostess and host at the Villa were so very attentive and gracious. I can't thank them enough (and their staff) for a great day.

I look forward to the next visit to St. Marrten because we will definitley splurge a little and if at all possible take this excursion again. Loved it! Quiet, peaceful and so classy.

Edited by ab1068

Returned last week from cruise on Independence of the Seas. We chose the Decadent Day in Paradise and so glad we did. The excursion was fantastic. About 15-20 minutes from the ship/pier brings you to Villa Witenblauw and Paradise. Excursion limited to 20 guests. Our day had 17 paradise seekers on the excursion. Excursion is only offered to RCL and Celebrity passengers/guests.

Highlights: lovely home, large private grounds, large zero entry salt water pool with waterfall (most magnificent), fresh water pool, jacuzzi/hot tub (didn't try that one), dining/buffet area, marvelous italian buffet and gelatto desert, open bar (yes...whatever you would like whenever you would like), plenty of lounge chairs with large umbrellas (loungers moveable in case you want full sun), benches, showers, etc.... Two large guest cottages are utilized as the male and female changing rooms (connected by a bridge over the salt water pool). Plenty of floating mats available for the pools. Gorgeous, gorgeous setting. Oh, and a structure with 2 large hammocks to kick back, enjoy the scenery and drift away witht the sounds of the surf.

By the way, we did carry a few deck towels from the ship just in case they were needed, but towels were supplied at the Villa. It was still nice to have them just in case....

Something else to pass along, they did have wifi available for guests. Not many were carrying devices, but those who were found the amenity most welcome.

As noted elsewhere, the beach is rocky and they do not suggest swimming due to undertow. However, easy access to the beach for getting your toes in the sand and feet wet in the surf or if you would like to lay on the sand.

From beginning to end the Decadent Day in Paradise was carried out as a total class act for those who want to get away from thousands of folks on a ship or get away from crowded beaches.

Georgia and her husband (?) as the hostess and host at the Villa were so very attentive and gracious. I can't thank them enough (and their staff) for a great day.

I look forward to the next visit to St. Marrten because we will definitley splurge a little and if at all possible take this excursion again. Loved it! Quiet, peaceful and so classy.

thank you for all of this! what a great help. i'll be surprising my wife with this outing and it seems information is scarce.

Hello, All: My husband and I are booked on the Explorer, 10/9/2014. When I search RCCL for this excursion, I select "find cruises that feature this excursion" and there's my sail date. However, when I try to purchase it, I get the 'sorry-not available for this date". Has anyone had the same problem? I emailed RCCL a few days back, and have heard nothing. I called the RCCL rep who says two things-there are only so many slots-and it may or may not be offered on your ship? That's all the detail she had other than to tell me check your reservation 90 days out and it may be open. Hmm? The web site directs me to my ship and sail date and tells me that this excursion is featured? Any ideas? We've been to St. Martin a few times now, and this sounds like a great alternative for us. We've done the beaches, the island tours, the snorkeling, the catamarans, etc. and this just stood out as something extraordinary. It's early yet, but I would sure like to have this one in the bag.

Hello, All: My husband and I are booked on the Explorer, 10/9/2014. When I search RCCL for this excursion, I select "find cruises that feature this excursion" and there's my sail date. However, when I try to purchase it, I get the 'sorry-not available for this date". Has anyone had the same problem? I emailed RCCL a few days back, and have heard nothing. I called the RCCL rep who says two things-there are only so many slots-and it may or may not be offered on your ship? That's all the detail she had other than to tell me check your reservation 90 days out and it may be open. Hmm? The web site directs me to my ship and sail date and tells me that this excursion is featured? Any ideas? We've been to St. Martin a few times now, and this sounds like a great alternative for us. We've done the beaches, the island tours, the snorkeling, the catamarans, etc. and this just stood out as something extraordinary. It's early yet, but I would sure like to have this one in the bag.

It could be any number of reasons, it only showed up for our trip about 6-8 weeks ago. I know this property is for sale - once sold, it's safe to say this excursion will not be available. Keep checking, I'm sure it will change eventually.

Wondering if anyone has any information about this shore excursion offered by celebrity or royal caribbean? Thanks!

A client of mine (who also happens to be my boss at my day job!) just returned yesterday from an RCCL cruise that stopped in St. Maarten, she and her hubby did this excursion and she has just RAVED all morning about how WONDERFUL it was. A little pricey, but she said it is well worth it for the day.

I'm sold on it, just hope they are still offering it the next time I'm in St. Maarten in 2015!

Terry

A client of mine (who also happens to be my boss at my day job!) just returned yesterday from an RCCL cruise that stopped in St. Maarten, she and her hubby did this excursion and she has just RAVED all morning about how WONDERFUL it was. A little pricey, but she said it is well worth it for the day.

I'm sold on it, just hope they are still offering it the next time I'm in St. Maarten in 2015!

Terry

Awesome!! What did she say was so great?

Awesome!! What did she say was so great?

Nothing in particular, and yet everything! She said the food was fantastic, the villa is beautiful, the two pools are amazing, the views are breathtaking, and on and on. She just wouldn't stop raving about it! LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is definitely worth looking at, but I was also hoping to catch some flyover time on the beach by the airport. Is it going to be practical to do both?

We just returned from the 5/25 Witenblauw excursion on RCI Jewel of the Seas. I can assure you that once you arrive at the villa, you will be having such a wonderful time that you will not want to leave to go sit at the end of a runway. If you did for some reason (weather?), wait until after lunch (you don't want to miss that) and then you would have to taxi to Maho Beach and then back to the pier. It's do-able, but I'm pretty sure you won't want to.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas 5/25 excursion to Witenblauw and we have to say without hesitation that this was the most unique and most memorable ship excursion of all the ship excursions we have ever taken (and we've done some fabulous excursions like vineyards in Italy, etc. etc.). First, some caveats on what made it so special for us that may not apply in all cases. 1) the weather was perfect; 2) our group was small (only 8 - four couples) even by Witenblauw standards; and 3) we spent a lot of time talking and getting to know the host family, Georgia, Armando, and especially Armando Sr. They are beautiful people, wonderful hosts, fascinating to talk to, and a very special part of our stay at Witenblauw.

Having said all that, some details. You will be met at the pier by Sam (female), a British ex-pat, a consummate tour industry professional, and your tour leader. She will make sure you are completely taken care of for the day and, at the end of the day, carry out the unenviable task of dragging you, unwillingly, away from Witenblauw and back to your ship. A 10 minute ride on an air conditioned bus (with some island history and villa background expertly provided by Sam) and you will arrive at Villa Witenblauw. On arrival, you will be greeted by the family as you gawk at the beautiful surroundings, and given a glass of ice-cold champagne.

The rest of the day is sheer relaxation. The villa is everything you would expect in a multi-million dollar estate on the southern coast of St. Maarten. The furnishings, the buildings, the landscaping, everything rivals the fine luxury hotels of Europe. The view out over the turquoise waters is stunning. The salt water pool, fresh water pool and whirlpool are beautifully done in marble and Italian tiles. There are loungers and hammocks galore for shade, beautiful villa guest rooms are provided for changing, and Georgia and Armando are always attentive, always ready to take care of any need. They are expert bartenders, but my wife's favorite concoction (Long Island Iced Tea) was not in their repertoire. But, the ever-thoughtful Armando googled it, got the recipe, and in minutes was making a Long Island Iced Tea than would put any Manhattan bartender to shame.

Lunch is made by Georgia's mother (sadly, I never did catch her name) and it is a truly exquisite and elegant Italian buffet. With Andrea Bocelli playing in the background, looking out over the white stucco and the Italian-tiled pool at the blue sky and the waves, it does not take a whole lot of imagination to believe you are in Almalfi, or Portofino. Georgia's family is originally from Vicenza, Italy and Armando is an accomplished chef from Sicily. They know good food and it shows. Some of the ingredients for the buffet (mozzarella, basil, capers, olive oil, etc.) are flown in every week from Europe. The motto at Witenblauw is, "only the best." And, dessert is a guaranteed treat because the family's other enterprise on the island is a gelateria (the Carousel), and Armando oversees the dessert. We have traveled Italy and this little slice of Italian living on the shores of Dutch St. Maarten was a very special treat.

As others have said, it is not a swimming beach, but a few of our brave souls did wander out into the surf. My wife and I enjoyed walking on the beach and just taking it all in.

The price point is high, as ship excursions go, but my wife and I (and everyone else on our excursion) left Witenblauw feeling it was worth every penny. It was a memorable day that we will always cherish, and you can't put a price on that.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas 5/25 excursion to Witenblauw and we have to say without hesitation that this was the most unique and most memorable ship excursion of all the ship The price point is high, as ship excursions go, but my wife and I (and everyone else on our excursion) left Witenblauw feeling it ...was worth every penny. It was a memorable day that we will always cherish, and you can't put a price on that.

Thank you so much for the awesome review and sharing your experience!! We are so excited to try this!!!! Glad you had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have stayed at the Flamingo beach resort next door to this villa for years and have walked this beach many times to get away from the hustle and bustle of the resort. On entry to the water it is extremely rocky and I am talking large slabs not pebbles. Just because a couple of people braved the surf doesn't mean it's safe to do. Personally I have never seen anyone in the water on this whole stretch of beach where the villas are.

This is not a beach day. The villa is beautiful and the whole experience sounds wounderful but this is truly a beach where swim at your own risk really means don't swim here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We're booked on the Jewel of the Seas B2B in December and had booked this tour as soon as we booked the cruise, as we tried to do it on our Celebrity cruise last December, but unfortunately it was sold out. However, I received an email this week saying that the tour had been cancelled. Needless to say we were very disappointed as we've heard such amazing feedback about it. Anyone happen to know why they're no longer offering this excursion?? Also, will they be offering something else, similar to this tour perhaps?

We're booked on the Jewel of the Seas B2B in December and had booked this tour as soon as we booked the cruise, as we tried to do it on our Celebrity cruise last December, but unfortunately it was sold out. However, I received an email this week saying that the tour had been cancelled. Needless to say we were very disappointed as we've heard such amazing feedback about it. Anyone happen to know why they're no longer offering this excursion?? Also, will they be offering something else, similar to this tour perhaps?

We saw it still listed for our cruise but when we went to book it said the excursion could not be found. We called RCL and they couldn't find it listed. Add that to what you've found and it looks pretty grim.

When my manager and her husband went there in April they said the owners told her the villa was for sale, so I guess it may have sold and the new owners aren't willing to have people there now. Just a guess, but sounds reasonable if the excursion isn't available anymore.

Terry

When my manager and her husband went there in April they said the owners told her the villa was for sale, so I guess it may have sold and the new owners aren't willing to have people there now. Just a guess, but sounds reasonable if the excursion isn't available anymore.

Terry

That would make sense and was my suspicion after doing a quick Google search. A few of the top results were real estate listings for the villa, so looks like it may be sold! Too bad, it looks like such a beautiful spot! Hopefully the new owners will change their mind and allow guests in the future.

That would make sense and was my suspicion after doing a quick Google search. A few of the top results were real estate listings for the villa, so looks like it may be sold! Too bad, it looks like such a beautiful spot! Hopefully the new owners will change their mind and allow guests in the future.

The villa is still listed for sale as far as I can see and it can be yours for $5,800,000.:D