Yukon rail after riding train for land portion

eppler

We are scheduled on an 11 day cruise tour with the land portion first. In looking for an excursion in Skagway, the railroad to the Yukon seems to be very popular. My question is that since we are riding the train during the land portion, will this seem redundant or are the views/activities different enough to make it worth the second trip?

We are scheduled on an 11 day cruise tour with the land portion first. In looking for an excursion in Skagway, the railroad to the Yukon seems to be very popular. My question is that since we are riding the train during the land portion, will this seem redundant or are the views/activities different enough to make it worth the second trip?

These two trains are totally different. I question- however, you "popular" comment? Do YOU have an interest in taking this train? The White Pass train, if you are referring correctly with the "Yukon" reference is the Lake Bennett train which goes to/from Carcross, then by the Klondike Highway. This is an excellent tour, enjoyed by many. Reasons to consider the White Pass RR is for - history, scenery- it is superior to the Highway, narrow gage rail. This train is not for everyone.

The Alaska RR, unless you are taking the train Anchorage/Seward, is transportation that frequently parallels the Parks Highway Anchorage/Fairbanks run. Certainly a lot of scenery, but a lot of trees too. :)

If you'd like to see a sampling of pictures on the Yukon WP&YR railroad as compared to the Alaska RR, you can see them in the trip report I did of our 19 day Yukon/Alaska Cruisetour in July this year. I posted it on the HAL Board.

Different scenery. Very dramatic views on the WP&YR train.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1897694