Checking In Times QV

capegirl

Today received my e tickets for QV on 21 December. My check in time is 15.30! They have got to be joking!

Staggered boarding times are issued to prevent having too many people show up at the same time. As you can imagine it takes time to check in and confirm the travel documents for over 1000 passengers. If everybody decided to board the ship before noon just imagine the problem.

I've had that time before, but I just arrived when it suited me. After all, I was driving and I had to allow at least an extra hour for traffic. There were no problems.

On my last cruise (and the one in 10 days), travel is by train and I will arrive an hour later than the midday time given. It didn't matter at all last time. The only problem was that I ran into a half hour queue going through security to get onto the ship.

We have arrived around 12:30 each time we have sailed on Cunard and they made no mention of us having a later check-in time. Go when it is convenient for you. You might have to wait in a line for a bit but at least you are there and the fun has begun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to change anyone, but the reason the security line can run an hour or more in duration is all the people who come when it suits them. They should hold these people up and let them go through security as there is space, but Cunard doesn't care how long you stand in line for security, although they can control how many people they send to the security line by just looking up and seeing the huge long line.

To stage boarding is an excellent concept, but in practice, many passengers seem to object. Which makes me question how effective an evacuation order would be followed in the event of an emergency on board. If an orderly embarkation process meets with objection - imagine what would happen when an orderly abandoned ship was issued?

Personally, despite have Priority Boarding due to our World Club Status, we arrive at the Red Hook terminal between 2pm and 3pm. No waiting in line - because there are no lines! Our luggage arrives in our cabin most often at the same time we arrive. Staggered boarding is effective, if only it wasn't so ignored.

I'm not going to change anyone, but the reason the security line can run an hour or more in duration is all the people who come when it suits them.

It's simply not possible to predicate with any accuracy how long your journey to the port is going to take, that's why people arrive early.

For example, it's a 4 hour drive for me to Southampton, but it could easily take 6 or 7 hours (and it has done so in the past) so that's what I will allow for the drive to take, 6 hours. If that means I arrive 2 hours early then so be it - it's better than arriving 2 hours after the ship has sailed !

It's simply not possible to predicate with any accuracy how long your journey to the port is going to take, that's why people arrive early.

For example, it's a 4 hour drive for me to Southampton, but it could easily take 6 or 7 hours (and it has done so in the past) so that's what I will allow for the drive to take, 6 hours. If that means I arrive 2 hours early then so be it - it's better than arriving 2 hours after the ship has sailed !

Mr. Toad, that's a good point - relevant for those of us who drive to our embarkation port. I've never been to the Southampton port, but within a 15 minute ride of the Red Hook Port there are some very nice restaurants. There is a choice between arriving early (prior to scheduled embarkation) at the port or having nice lunch in one of these restaurants. Just a guess, but I think many people are understandably anxious to get started on their holiday, so the choice is made to get to the port in order to board as early as possible even if that means waiting to board. Unfortunately, that means that those passengers who were assigned an earlier boarding time are likely to be waiting in line with those with a later scheduled boarding time. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Today received my e tickets for QV on 21 December. My check in time is 15.30! They have got to be joking!

Check you're eticket again as mine originally said that then changed to 13.30 :) you get given a lettered card on arrival and you then check in when the letter is called. It's not too bad in the q, but if you're not good on your legs then it could be a long wait to get through security.