Looking for feedback on Summer 2014 land/cruise vacation

JosieRhodes

Looking for feedback before I book the rest of the trip. Will be me, husband, daughter 16, and son 14, along with my parents (70s). However, we are splitting up for land portion of trip. Already reserved the RV, reserved hotels with points (could adjust), and already booked the train from Anchorage to Seward. Right now focusing on any key activities that would require reservations in advance. Planning on getting Northern Lights Coupon book. Below is the kinda stuff we like to do.... and nope no Denali for this trip.

Day One-June 26th, 2014 – Get in around 9pm, staying in RV on GAH lot

Day Two – Probably Knik Glacier Tour – 2pm, use the 25% coupon

Day Three – Probably with Nova, need to make decision on whether to do 4 or 6hr Matanuska hike, probably 9:30am slot…. So, wondering what the extra two hours would give us… then do some scenic driving somewhere . Husband was thinking about maybe late day fishing if we headed towards Talkeetna. If we go that way, I would like to check out Kahiltna Birchworks as we have lots of maple syrup/sugar around here so would like to try birch syrup.

Day Four-Sunday – Thinking of doing Vern Halter kennel tour in Willow at 9:30am as the nature hike with pups appealed to us all. Then thinking Independence Mine, as hoping might be a weekend tour. Want to make sure not too tired & have enough time to explore....

Day Five – Go to Alaska Native Heritage Center, parents will meet us there, turn in RV by 1:30pm, pick up car (parents can take someone to get our car) already reserved with my corporate discount. May drive to Girdwood area, Wildlife Conservation Center, the Alyeska Tram, maybe the 8pm night hike on Alyeska Glacier.

Check into SpringHill Suites University Lake. I could change it to any Marriott in area, but kinda liked the reviews of this one. Maybe walk the lake tomorrow morning. I don't know, it doesn't seem like it would be that bad a drive back/forth to Anchorage as I was trying to use my hotel points...

Day Six – Tour out of Whittier with parents. I can’t decide on which one to do but lately leaning toward Major Marine Blackstone Bay because of the 2 for 1 in Northern Lights Coupon book, and what potentially could do in Seward. Find it hard to ignore savings. Drop off car at airport and take free shuttle back to the hotel (delegate to husband)

Day Seven – July 2nd- believe hotel has a shuttle to both airport and train station.. but anyhow take train to Seward. Still kinda looking at options for rest of day

-Some sort of kayaking with Miller’s Landing for three of us. Daughter will hike, but not kayak.

-Another option is hiking in afternoon, daughter then goes with her grandparents, and three of us do a later day kayaking tour. Thinking some hikes start near Miller’s Landing such as to Tonsina Beach, which could then be followed by a short guided kayak trip..

-Originally on Day Eight was planning on going on a guided kayak trip with Miller’s Landing to Caines Head, hiking to Fort McGilvray ruins, and taking water taxi back as we all like WW2 historical stuff. However, not sure can fit it in on Day Seven with water taxi schedule, given now thinking of doing all day cruise on day 8 (maybe). Interested in anyone who has been in Fort McGilvary and what they thought of it….

Staying at the Holiday Inn in Seward, a balcony room booked with points.

Day Eight – Thinking of doing the Northwestern Fjords tour, using the small but every bit helps coupon in Northern Lights, and just going for the whole 9 to 6pm tour. My hesitation is being stuck for nine hrs if weather is really bad… though not sure if we would go hiking if really bad weather day. We are from upstate NY so accustomed to cold and rain, so not that big a deal but looking for value for $. Though, even my kids vividly remember being on the ferry between Lanai and Maui when it was so rough the water was going over the top of the two story ferry. We still love to laugh about it. Partly started looking at doing this tour because not going to Surprise Glaicer – kinda my weird reasoning.

Day Nine – July 4th – Well, I did already book the SeaLife Center Puffin Encounter for the afternoon. At some point need to board Radiance of the Seas.

Juneau – 9am to 9pm -not sure yet, mulling over options - may rent car, whale watch, zipline, hike :) - and of course want to see the Mendenhall glacier at some pt. in day

Skagway - reserved car already, probably go to Emerald Lake (still looking at options)

Icy Point – Ziprider 8 to 10:30am, then 11:30 whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S already booked

Ketchikan – Already got the permits (still can’t believe that was that lucky during first lottery) so going with Island Wings to Anan from 10am to 3pm...

Going back in forth on whether to do Knik Glacier tour, how long to hike on glacier, what boat tours to do, and any advice on how could fit in a hike to the fort.... Would like to find a nice guided kayaking tour (but not a $$$ glacier ones out of Seward) and any additional "off the beaten path" hiking trails we could fit in along our route. Thanks for any feedback.

Also, from an interest perspective, want to see lots of glaciers, really like humpback whales, would like to see wildlife - medium interest, more comfortable hiking than kayaking, and whole family loves to hike. Really like pictures of Glen Highway and Knik glacier I have seen... Daughter loves Puffins:) and son does want to kayak.

You have some, open time with your beginning plans. Frankly, longer with glacier trekking is well worth the time and money. The longer you are out the farther and more you see. I actually always book a private guide, as I don't want to be stuck with any slow/unprepared people. Independence Mine is a few hours, so is the Knik Glacier boat tour. Could be done the same day possibly? With a glacier and hiking interest- Exit Glacier could also be of interest? Exit Glacier guides is a well recommended company.

I would not spend all that time with Millers Landing. IF kayaking is of interest then consider doing the far better location options and get to Aialik Glacier- which is a superb kayaking area. It is significantly superior to what you are considering. Not sure why the opposition to the price? You clearly get what you pay for here.

A Kenai Fjords boat tour is a top choice and loaded with varied wildlife. Nobody can determine if this is for you but you. :) The key is to consult a health care professional - about any issue with potential motion sickness. Plenty of people don't consider it, to the other end- of the group who never miss it.

We spent several nights last summer at the Springhill Suites University Lake, and were very pleased. Loved the quiet location, but of course, a car is a necessity there.

I just skimmed your proposed itinerary, but are you considering the 8 PM hike at Alyeska and then plan to return to the Springhill Suites for the night? The road from Anchorage to Alyeska is notorious for aggressive driving and serious

accidents. I would just stay at the Alyeska Resort instead or backtracking to Anchorage.

Thanks for the great info. Yep, I don't know if would really be up for an 8pm hike anyway, guess have to think about it, but it did catch my eye.

Exit Glacier is also on the list of possibilities, and I may just send husband and son off kayaking alone somewhere as I am not that keen on it myself. Just personally I like hiking vs kayaking.