Oasis of the seas - timing of better wifi

I've read so many articles on this, and I'm having a hard time navigating them and finding the answer to this question.

Is Oasis supposed to be getting some kind of better wifi because of a new satellite being launched? If so, is there any general timeframe?

I ask because we're sailing the Oasis in March, and if the wifi is as slow as it was on the Indy & Freedom, we're going to unplug because it's just not worth the money you pay.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

I've read so many articles on this, and I'm having a hard time navigating them and finding the answer to this question.

Is Oasis supposed to be getting some kind of better wifi because of a new satellite being launched? If so, is there any general timeframe?

I ask because we're sailing the Oasis in March, and if the wifi is as slow as it was on the Indy & Freedom, we're going to unplug because it's just not worth the money you pay.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

We leave 12/7 and were hoping for the unlimited package to be available.

I just used it this past week.

Its still slow. 8 minutes to *attempt* to load a picture to Facebook. (8 minutes of watching the upload bar crawl super slowly)....so I gave up. <shrug>

I was able to read emails without attachments and update text statuses to Facebook in a reasonable amount of time so if you just need it to check email and such it should be sufficient for your needs. Anything that requires a large transfer of data (pictures documents, etc.) it really struggles.

Edited by nenner1

Oasis and Allure will trial a new system, using satellites in a lower orbit by a company called O3b - there is a significant delay caused by the hop to and from any satellite.

The first set of 4 satellites launched by the O3b network had minor power problems, so they scrubbed their second launch in September (they need 8 satellites for the network to work). They have identified the issue, but the component is buried deep inside the satellites, so not a quick fix. Last I saw was a tentative launch date of March, but it's going to be pretty busy at the Ariannespace launch facility. That date may well slip. No telling how soon after successful launch the network will be operational. It's brand new and untried.

There is always confusion between WiFi and an Internet connection. RCCL has already upgraded the WiFi network - ie the kit that connects your device to the ship's servers - on all their ships. Now they are trying to more efficiently connect their servers to the internet.