Hiring a taxi for Cartegena tour?

cj'smom

Will be in Cartegena for just one day until 3:00 pm. Looks like it is SO rich in history/culture and we would like to see as many sites as possible. Not interested in shopping and are also on a tight budget. I've heard of people hiring a taxi driver to take them on a tour.

We will have a total of 4 people - 2 adults,2 teens (my son is 6'5")

Could we all fit in a taxi?

Where would we pick one up and how would we know that they were reputable?

How much could we expect to pay and how many hours are the norm? Is it safe to do this - we have spent time in other 3rd world countries and are fairly street smart but don't want to put ourselves in a dangerous position.

Will they guide you around the old city area or is it best to be dropped off there and just do that part on your own? Thanks.

Will be in Cartegena for just one day until 3:00 pm. Looks like it is SO rich in history/culture and we would like to see as many sites as possible. Not interested in shopping and are also on a tight budget. I've heard of people hiring a taxi driver to take them on a tour.

We will have a total of 4 people - 2 adults' date='2 teens (my son is 6'5")

Could we all fit in a taxi?

Where would we pick one up and how would we know that they were reputable?

How much could we expect to pay and how many hours are the norm? Is it safe to do this - we have spent time in other 3rd world countries and are fairly street smart but don't want to put ourselves in a dangerous position.

Will they guide you around the old city area or is it best to be dropped off there and just do that part on your own? Thanks.[/quote']

If you aren't comfortable with the taxi, you will see many tour guides outside the terminal building selling tours. Most use vans that hold from 14 to 20 people. They know the ship schedules and the chances of being late back to the ship are very small. They will let you know the type of tour they offer and some will walk around the old walled city with you.

You can hire a taxi right outside the gates at the terminal building. the price will vary according to what you want to see and do. Check the prices of the cruise tours and use that to judge how much you should try to get the taxi for. I suggest making a list of the things you want to see and do, and find a taxi driver who speaks some English so you can negotiate.

If you want to spend some time in old town, you can easily get a taxi back to the dock. Take a picture of the ship with you and flag down a taxi. Show him the picture and tell him "Barca"

Most of the taxis are about the size of a Toyota Corolla and you can get three normal sized people snugly in the back seat plus one in the front.

Your comfort zone may be different from mine, but I have never felt that I was in danger in Cartagena. I don't wander out of the areas frequented by tourists. You can safely walk all over the old walled city without danger. They have lots of security there.

If you aren't comfortable with a taxi, there are many tour guides outside the terminal building offering tours in vans with from 14 to 20 people. They will tell you what kind of tour they offer, and some will walk the old town with you.

As you exit the ship, you will see a "tourist information" kiosk on the pier. They have a great map of the walled city they will give you if you ask.

Edited by swedish weave

• 3 weeks later...

When you exit the terminal you see the guides as mentioned and if you just want a taxi continue further until you come to the taxis. You can negotiate for a taxi to take you all around.

Four will be tight but it might work with your son in the front.

Keith

I don't think you'd be comfortable in the average taxi as they are so small, so the tour may be the best option. I was quoted $15 back from the old town, I suggested 10 and we settled on 12, to give you an idea. Others seemed to pay about $40 for a 2 hour tour, with the same vehicle, the driver accompanying pax in the town.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Cartagena several weeks ago. If you take a taxi from the front of the terminal to Old Town, the price is $20 for up to 4 people (that's all that will fit). If you walk out to the street, the price for the same trip is only $10. Also $10 from Old Town to the fort or to La Popa or back to the port. Our driver offered to give us a 3 hour tour for $40, but we declined because we wanted to spend more time at certain places. And the driver barely spoke English.

Make sure you confirm the price with the driver in advance, though, and make sure it's $10 for the group, and not per person.

Oh, and if you don't mind walking, it only takes about 15 minutes to walk from the clock tower at Old Town to the fort. The locals were very friendly and helped point us in the right direction.

Edited by sumfun2